Name change for Heinz Field

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Name change for Heinz Field

Post by Johnny Mac »

Stiller fans are going ballistic as some unknown Michigan insurance company (Acrisure) is taking over the naming rights of Heinz Field

One guy on Twitter said "Worst thing to happen to Heinz Field since Bane" with an image of the "crater" in Heinz Field in "The Dark Knight Rises"
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Name change for Heinz Field

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:00 pm Stiller fans are going ballistic as some unknown Michigan insurance company (Acrisure) is taking over the naming rights of Heinz Field

One guy on Twitter said "Worst thing to happen to Heinz Field since Bane" with an image of the "crater" in Heinz Field in "The Dark Knight Rises"
I always thought it was funny that the "tough guy" Steelers' field was named after a ketchup company. Then I visited Pittsburgh and learned that Heinz is one of a bunch of well-known families (many of which are nationally-known names) that have lots of things named after them in Pittsburgh. I have to wonder how their fans would have felt if it were "Mellon Field" (like Carnegie Mellon).

(of course I can't hear that name without thinking of the famous diver Thornton Mellon :lol: )
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:07 pm
Johnny Mac wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:00 pm Stiller fans are going ballistic as some unknown Michigan insurance company (Acrisure) is taking over the naming rights of Heinz Field

I always thought it was funny that the "tough guy" Steelers' field was named after a ketchup company. Then I visited Pittsburgh and learned that Heinz is one of a bunch of well-known families (many of which are nationally-known names) that have lots of things named after them in Pittsburgh. I have to wonder how their fans would have felt if it were "Mellon Field" (like Carnegie Mellon).

(of course I can't hear that name without thinking of the famous diver Thornton Mellon :lol: )
they'd have an extra large size beer called the Triple Lindy
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

The whole naming rights thing is just dumb. Half the names are unrecognizable, and frankly, just don't see how naming a stadium makes it more recognizable and drums up business. Like I'm more inclined to buy an Acrisure product now, nor was I ever more inclined to buy ketchup before, or play at Caesar's any more now. And they missed the opportunity to call it Caesar's Coliseum.

I suppose there are marketing studies that say otherwise, and spending millions on naming rights turns into revenue and profit. But somebody would really have to convince me with data.
Bring home da Wave!
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

I don't have a problem that Paul Tulane purchased the naming rights to THE University of Louisiana.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Roller wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:35 pm I don't have a problem that Paul Tulane purchased the naming rights to THE University of Louisiana.
It's impossible to know how the alternative timeline works out, but odds are that if he doesn't we are more serious about being competitive in football and are not on the outside looking in in this new realignment. Enrollment is also probably much higher and the school probably has academics more like that of the other SEC powerhouses.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

doncecco wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:53 pm The whole naming rights thing is just dumb. Half the names are unrecognizable, and frankly, just don't see how naming a stadium makes it more recognizable and drums up business. Like I'm more inclined to buy an Acrisure product now, nor was I ever more inclined to buy ketchup before, or play at Caesar's any more now. And they missed the opportunity to call it Caesar's Coliseum.

I suppose there are marketing studies that say otherwise, and spending millions on naming rights turns into revenue and profit. But somebody would really have to convince me with data.
I will always believe Campbell's dropped the ball by not jumping all over Superdome making rights
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

doncecco wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:53 pm The whole naming rights thing is just dumb. Half the names are unrecognizable, and frankly, just don't see how naming a stadium makes it more recognizable and drums up business.
Lemme explain the rationale... by slapping your name on a stadium, you get plugged in every mention by someone on air and in every advertisement for events at the venue. Half the names are unrecognizable... until they are uttered numerous times in the abovementioned fashion. While it doesn't make the "cash register ring" with every mention, it IS a mention. There is value in that.

Some naming rights sponsors do get a few extra spiffs... case in point: a bank. Whom do you think owns and operates all of the ATMs at Truist Field in Atlanta or Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte? Probably now a little less of a "deal" since concessions are becoming "cash less"... but some people often do need cash at games and those handy ATMs are there and wow, there's a $5 fee???? Profit for the naming rights bank.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:06 am
doncecco wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:53 pm The whole naming rights thing is just dumb. Half the names are unrecognizable, and frankly, just don't see how naming a stadium makes it more recognizable and drums up business.
Lemme explain the rationale... by slapping your name on a stadium, you get plugged in every mention by someone on air and in every advertisement for events at the venue. Half the names are unrecognizable... until they are uttered numerous times in the abovementioned fashion. While it doesn't make the "cash register ring" with every mention, it IS a mention. There is value in that.

Some naming rights sponsors do get a few extra spiffs... case in point: a bank. Whom do you think owns and operates all of the ATMs at Truist Field in Atlanta or Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte? Probably now a little less of a "deal" since concessions are becoming "cash less"... but some people often do need cash at games and those handy ATMs are there and wow, there's a $5 fee???? Profit for the naming rights bank.
It's not like we were talking about Acrisure before the naming rights deal, that's for sure.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Roller wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:35 pm I don't have a problem that Paul Tulane purchased the naming rights to THE University of Louisiana.
You may owe Ohio St money
Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I had been away from Cincinnati for 13 or 14 years when I heard the Reds were getting a new stadium named "Great American Ballpark". I thought that was a good "regal sounding" name. It wasn't until I came home to visit and went to a game that I learned it was named after Great American Insurance Company.

(and I'm guessing at least one person who reads this just learned that from this post)

I'm guessing the taxpayers of Hamilton County, Ohio, wish there'd been an Acrisure around when they instead got stuck footing the bill for the Bengals stadium, simply named after team founder and NFL Hall of Famer Paul Brown. Brown's family (who owns the Bengals) got to slap their namesake on the stadium while the people of Cincinnati paid for it with a bad tax hike. Nice deal.
:xmad:
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:20 am I had been away from Cincinnati for 13 or 14 years when I heard the Reds were getting a new stadium named "Great American Ballpark". I thought that was a good "regal sounding" name. It wasn't until I came home to visit and went to a game that I learned it was named after Great American Insurance Company.

(and I'm guessing at least one person who reads this just learned that from this post)

I'm guessing the taxpayers of Hamilton County, Ohio, wish there'd been an Acrisure around when they instead got stuck footing the bill for the Bengals stadium, simply named after team founder and NFL Hall of Famer Paul Brown. Brown's family (who owns the Bengals) got to slap their namesake on the stadium while the people of Cincinnati paid for it with a bad tax hike. Nice deal.
Don't feel too bad, the naming rights deals are generally "only" low 8 figures annually (especially when that stadium was built) and a lot of times go directly to the team...the bill footed by the taxpayers wouldn't have changed that much.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

member when Yulman was going to be "Tulane Community Stadium"...I member
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

OGSB wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:40 am
You may owe Ohio St money
Unless, and until, they send me a bill, I'll ignore their "rights." I'm not big on trademarks anyhow.
How can they trademark a word that has been used in the same context for as long as I can remember?
Now, is Miami going to trademark the letter U?
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:06 pm member when Yulman was going to be "Tulane Community Stadium"...I member
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

waverider wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:12 pm
krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:06 pm member when Yulman was going to be "Tulane Community Stadium"...I member
I was actually quite impressed with your Godfather knowledge but pulling out Member Berries elevated you into my Hall of Fame
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

ml wave wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:00 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:20 am I had been away from Cincinnati for 13 or 14 years when I heard the Reds were getting a new stadium named "Great American Ballpark". I thought that was a good "regal sounding" name. It wasn't until I came home to visit and went to a game that I learned it was named after Great American Insurance Company.

Don't feel too bad, the naming rights deals are generally "only" low 8 figures annually (especially when that stadium was built) and a lot of times go directly to the team...the bill footed by the taxpayers wouldn't have changed that much.
and in the case of crypto.com arena, hopefully they got all 8 figures cash up front (same with FTX Arena in Miami)
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Almost like it was willed into existence by mere mention here...
Paul Brown Stadium is one of the last three stadiums in the NFL without a naming rights deal.
Well, not for long...
https://local12.com/newsletter-daily/pa ... ports-news
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:32 am Almost like it was willed into existence by mere mention here...
Paul Brown Stadium is one of the last three stadiums in the NFL without a naming rights deal.
Well, not for long...
I have $10 on some fly by night crypto company

I'll hedge that bet and throw $5 on Kroger.. and the reason why Kroger might be a possibility is they are expanding nationally in the grocery delivery market... they build these automated warehouses and deliver in refrigerated trucks.. we use them here in Publix country. There are no Kroger owned stores down here... all they do is delivery and we love it. National name recognition for their brand would be a good thing with this new venture.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:00 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:32 am Almost like it was willed into existence by mere mention here...
Well, not for long...

I'll hedge that bet and throw $5 on Kroger.. and the reason why Kroger might be a possibility is they are expanding nationally in the grocery delivery market... they build these automated warehouses and deliver in refrigerated trucks.. we use them here in Publix country. There are no Kroger owned stores down here... all they do is delivery and we love it. National name recognition for their brand would be a good thing with this new venture.
My bet is it's one of those "{name} field inside Paul Brown Stadium" deals. Heck, these days many places have triple name layering (field/court inside arena/stadium inside center/plaza)

Kroger is one of several Fortune 500s based here and I wouldn't mind "Kroger Field". Procter & Gamble would be another good one ("P & G Field"). I wouldn't mind "Cintas Field" either. But most of they have already thrown their names on other facilities around town, so I don't know if they'd do another.

JM, best part about the Kroger delivery is that biodegradable stuff (meat and produce specifically) comes straight from the refrigerated warehouse and (unlike the "order and park and it's brought out to your car" service), isn't being picked by a disinterested, underpaid teenager from whatever picked-over dregs are left in the store.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

being in S Florida, the reefer trucks are huge!! So many times our Amazon (whole foods) orders have come with soft ice cream or other frozen stuff no longer frozen.. it's all automated at Kroger so yeah, no disinterested independent contractor doing the shopping and deliver.. we get Kroger fuel points and can use electronic coupons
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:48 pm being in S Florida, the reefer trucks are huge!! So many times our Amazon (whole foods) orders have come with soft ice cream or other frozen stuff no longer frozen.. it's all automated at Kroger so yeah, no disinterested independent contractor doing the shopping and deliver.. we get Kroger fuel points and can use electronic coupons
And taking this threadjack even farther, my company is designing a Kroger refrigerated warehouse in Miami for that service as we speak. The more warehouses they have spread around the city, the less time the food is on the delivery truck and the less soupy your ice cream. 8)
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:07 pm
Well, not for long...

My bet is it's one of those "{name} field inside Paul Brown Stadium" deals. Heck, these days many places have triple name layering (field/court inside arena/stadium inside center/plaza)

Kroger is one of several Fortune 500s based here and I wouldn't mind "Kroger Field". Procter & Gamble would be another good one ("P & G Field"). I wouldn't mind "Cintas Field" either. But most of they have already thrown their names on other facilities around town, so I don't know if they'd do another.

JM, best part about the Kroger delivery is that biodegradable stuff (meat and produce specifically) comes straight from the refrigerated warehouse and (unlike the "order and park and it's brought out to your car" service), isn't being picked by a disinterested, underpaid teenager from whatever picked-over dregs are left in the store.
If the name isn't the Skyline Chili Bowl consider me disappointed
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:15 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:07 pm
Well, not for long...

If the name isn't the Skyline Chili Bowl consider me disappointed
Unfortunately the Bengals are sponsored by Gold Star Chili, not Skyline, which, if you are not from around here, is sorta like a Coke/Pepsi thing.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:49 pm
Johnny Mac wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:48 pm being in S Florida, the reefer trucks are huge!! So many times our Amazon (whole foods) orders have come with soft ice cream or other frozen stuff no longer frozen.. it's all automated at Kroger so yeah, no disinterested independent contractor doing the shopping and deliver.. we get Kroger fuel points and can use electronic coupons
And taking this threadjack even farther, my company is designing a Kroger refrigerated warehouse in Miami for that service as we speak. The more warehouses they have spread around the city, the less time the food is on the delivery truck and the less soupy your ice cream. 8)
Pete, the trucks are refrigerated... the frozen stuff gets here nice and frozen!! I think the warehouse that delivers to us is like Hialeah or Hollywood area... but the one your designing will allow for more deliveries to the south and west of me