Ncaa baseball tournament 2022

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: Ncaa baseball tournament 2022

Post by waverider »

Here’s how Southeastern’s regional run started last night.

Per Guerry:
Southeastern can begin preparing for the loser's bracket. Trails Auburn 11-0 with one out in first inning. Tigers' Cole Foster hit grand slam from left side after hitting two-run bomb from right side. Joins ECU's Bryson Worrell in accomplishing that rare feat today alone.
FYI… Worrell hit 2 homers in the same inning but they were a solo shot and 2-run HR.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Just scrolled through the results thus far and noted that 4 of the 16 regionals have a non-P5 conference team sitting 2-0 waiting for the loser's bracket team to be determined (admittedly one bracket is behind, but both teams playing to get to the 2-0 spot are P5s... and I'm considering Notre Dame a P5).

Of the four, ECU is one, and a team that was arguably "built" in the AAC, UConn, is another. Texas State and VCU are the other two.
greenguy
Riptide Level

Post by greenguy »

Poseidon wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:29 am
PeteRasche wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:23 am Honest question: how does the payout of sending 4 teams to the NCAA baseball tournament compare to the AAC annual ESPN TV contract vs. the SBC contract? Like, is the payout (even if one of their teams made the CWS) enough to justify investment in baseball, despite the financial perception that keeps their TV contract lower?
I would say no based on ESPN's lack of enthusiasm to broadcast even SEC baseball on anything beyond ESPN+. A weekend or so many SEC folks where pointing this out when ESPN and ESPN 2 were broadcasting obscure basically never to be heard of sports over top 25 SEC baseball games on Saturdays. Sure as a package it has some value, but I bet its negligible in the grand scheme of things.
I've wondered the same thing. ESPN will broadcast virtually anything after college basketball season, except college baseball. No way that cornhole, WNBA, UFC pre-fight, softball, etc. would get better ratings than a NCAA game of the week.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:57 am Just scrolled through the results thus far and noted that 4 of the 16 regionals have a non-P5 conference team sitting 2-0 waiting for the loser's bracket team to be determined (admittedly one bracket is behind, but both teams playing to get to the 2-0 spot are P5s... and I'm considering Notre Dame a P5).

Of the four, ECU is one, and a team that was arguably "built" in the AAC, UConn, is another. Texas State and VCU are the other two.
ECU was trailing Coastal Carolina 9-0 last I saw
Tulane Greenbackers

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

waverider wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:53 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:57 am Just scrolled through the results thus far and noted that 4 of the 16 regionals have a non-P5 conference team sitting 2-0 waiting for the loser's bracket team to be determined (admittedly one bracket is behind, but both teams playing to get to the 2-0 spot are P5s... and I'm considering Notre Dame a P5).

ECU was trailing Coastal Carolina 9-0 last I saw
rematch set for today to move on to Supers...

Miami got knocked out of their own regional in two straight games... lost to Ole Miss and then Arizona.. Ole Miss in the driver's seat to win that regional... if they move on, it's against the winner of LSU/USM.. curious if LSU wins and it's against Ole Miss, who hosts that super??

Miami had a great season but they absolutely fell apart in the ACC (2 and Q) and then NCAA tournaments.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

ECU won 14-3 or something close to that. ECU hitter stood at home plate watching a HR and the ump pushed him along and told him to run.

https://twitter.com/11point7/status/153 ... bw4L-NDbtw
Tulane Greenbackers

NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

LSU is going home. First time I have ever been happen to see USM win.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

NJwave wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:02 pm LSU is going home. First time I have ever been happen to see USM win.
I may never pull for them again but today was the hardest I’ve ever pulled for them.
Tulane Greenbackers

tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Uconn also advanced to a super. It's incredible how good that program is given the geography and how recently their stadium acquired lights
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:14 am Uconn also advanced to a super. It's incredible how good that program is given the geography and how recently their stadium acquired lights
I think they just built a new stadium for him so it was more than just getting lights.
We deserve so much better
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

wavedom wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:20 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:14 am Uconn also advanced to a super. It's incredible how good that program is given the geography and how recently their stadium acquired lights
I think they just built a new stadium for him so it was more than just getting lights.
They did. Major upgrade all around, I was just poking fun about the lights.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:38 am
Boston College doesn't have a men's lacrosse team due to Title IX... their women's lacrosse team is really good.. so it's an oddity that they wouldn't have a men's program as well.. but because of ice hockey, they sacrificed men's lacrosse.

What does that have to do with UConn baseball? Well, if it wouldn't get them kicked out of the ACC, I wouldn't be surprised if BC killed their baseball program... UConn having any success at all at baseball is an anomaly for any New England based program. Even with us not having real winter any more, they are having to train in Florida for a couple of weeks, being fodder for the Red Sox and other teams during spring training... that expense is pretty high. You saw how awful UMass Lowell was.. it's hard to compete against a D 1 team from the south when your entire spring training regimen was in a gym.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Johnny Mac wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:19 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:38 am
Boston College doesn't have a men's lacrosse team due to Title IX... their women's lacrosse team is really good.. so it's an oddity that they wouldn't have a men's program as well.. but because of ice hockey, they sacrificed men's lacrosse.

What does that have to do with UConn baseball? Well, if it wouldn't get them kicked out of the ACC, I wouldn't be surprised if BC killed their baseball program... UConn having any success at all at baseball is an anomaly for any New England based program. Even with us not having real winter any more, they are having to train in Florida for a couple of weeks, being fodder for the Red Sox and other teams during spring training... that expense is pretty high. You saw how awful UMass Lowell was.. it's hard to compete against a D 1 team from the south when your entire spring training regimen was in a gym.
BC is one of the schools that has voted against baseball improvements at the ncaa level. They have voted against expanding scholarship limits and against adding additional coach positions for exactly the reasons you mention. I don't know that it would get them kicked out of the ACC to drop the program though. Syracuse doesn't have a baseball team and they were allowed in.

This is why I hope sports are decoupled from each other down the line. It would be great to let the BCs and UMass Lowell's pursue lacrosse or whatever instead of baseball while teams like Tulane that are more serious about baseball and don't care about hockey (yeah I know we had the club team but still) could fully fund their programs. In that world we would get to cross paths with elite teams more frequently. Maybe we would even become an affiliate member of the ACC for baseball. I can dream at least
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I did not know Syracuse didn't have baseball.. I would imagine them having a lacrosse team greased the skids, though.. ACC only has five lacrosse schools now: Duke, UNC, Virginia, Notre Dame and Syracuse. BC would only have to add 1 woman's scholarship if they switched from baseball (11.7) to men's lacrosse (12.6).

I'm amazed UMass Lowell has a D1 baseball team.. they too have a D1 hockey team and that's 18 scholarships. They don't have a women's hockey team to offset those 18... looking at their sports, I can't see how they are Title IX compliant.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Johnny Mac wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:16 pm I did not know Syracuse didn't have baseball.. I would imagine them having a lacrosse team greased the skids, though.. ACC only has five lacrosse schools now: Duke, UNC, Virginia, Notre Dame and Syracuse. BC would only have to add 1 woman's scholarship if they switched from baseball (11.7) to men's lacrosse (12.6).

I'm amazed UMass Lowell has a D1 baseball team.. they too have a D1 hockey team and that's 18 scholarships. They don't have a women's hockey team to offset those 18... looking at their sports, I can't see how they are Title IX compliant.
They do have a field hockey team, which is 12, and track is a common place to pad out schollys for Title IX purposes.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Bowling is the magic Title IX elixir.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:07 am Bowling is the magic Title IX elixir.
Tulane should have a softball team, a soccer team or a lacrosse team. Bowling is cheaper which is the only reason it exists.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

The CWS field is now set. Half the field is from the SEC. None are from the non-P5, the fourth straight year this has occurred. Of the 8, only Stanford, Oklahoma, and Texas have won titles and only Texas has won one this century ('02 and '05).
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

4 teams remain, with the joke being that all 4 (really the last 5 since Auburn was eliminated by Arkansas last night) are from the SEC West. Anybody still think baseball power isn't being consolidated at the top?

Oklahoma will play Texas A&M on one side of the bracket with ATM needing to win twice to advance. Ole Miss will play Arkansas with the Hogs needing to win twice to advance.

Ole Miss, the last team in the field a few weeks ago, is now the odds on favorite to win the whole thing. Texas A&M is the only remaining seeded team.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Ole Miss wins the CWS. 4-2 final after some controversial calls. SEC has won 8 of the last 13 tournaments. In 4 of the 5 they didn't win, an SEC team was runner up. The same thing that happened in football with the SEC pulling away has happened in college baseball too. Considering OU and Texas made the CWS this year, 6/8 berths went to SEC teams or near future SEC teams. Depressing that we should be in that number
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:04 pm Ole Miss wins the CWS. 4-2 final after some controversial calls. SEC has won 8 of the last 13 tournaments. In 4 of the 5 they didn't win, an SEC team was runner up. The same thing that happened in football with the SEC pulling away has happened in college baseball too. Considering OU and Texas made the CWS this year, 6/8 berths went to SEC teams or near future SEC teams. Depressing that we should be in that number
Give it a few years and basketball will follow. They have NIL and they have such a market share that any changes (to rules, structure, alignment, conferences, etc.) will only be to their benefit.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Ole Miss was the 64th team selected to the field of 64. More than the sec, the state of Mississippi is now back to back champs.

I agree about basketball. They used to be a 1 or 2 team conference with Kentucky and Florida. Now they have all this extra football money that they can make SAOs disguised as NIL deals.
Tulane Greenbackers

tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

waverider wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:27 pm Ole Miss was the 64th team selected to the field of 64. More than the sec, the state of Mississippi is now back to back champs.

I agree about basketball. They used to be a 1 or 2 team conference with Kentucky and Florida. Now they have all this extra football money that they can make SAOs disguised as NIL deals.
I love baseball, but the game today was high school caliber in the field. It look like a high school game besides the pitchers. Missed flied balls, misplayed foul balls, throws everywhere, pass balls, catcher and pitcher not on the same page. Just a terrible product for the non-college baseball fan to watch. In fact, the entire tournament was played that way. Just a terrible look for college baseball. The only positive thing I can say is the turnout by Ole Miss fans in Omaha was quite a sight.