UConn is first to be eliminated from bowl contention

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

UConn is first to be eliminated from bowl contention

Unread post by PeteRasche »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... li=BBnbfcL

0-6, 6 games left, but one is FCS which doesn't count towards the 6-win bowl threshold.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: UConn is first to be eliminated from bowl contention

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

That doesn't seem right. They did have 2 fcs on their schedule but I thought the rule was only one fcs victory could count towards bowl eligibility. They already lost to holy cross but in theory if they beat Yale and won out to go 6-6, they should still be eligible. Do games against Ivys not count or something?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:17 am That doesn't seem right. They did have 2 fcs on their schedule but I thought the rule was only one fcs victory could count towards bowl eligibility. They already lost to holy cross but in theory if they beat Yale and won out to go 6-6, they should still be eligible. Do games against Ivys not count or something?
I believe you can count one FCS win toward eligibility.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

I had them eliminated from a bowl before game 1
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:05 pm I had them eliminated from a bowl before game 1
In 2019.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

GretnaGrn wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:01 pm
krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:05 pm I had them eliminated from a bowl before game 1
In 2019.
And forevermore.
doncecco
President's Circle

Unread post by doncecco »

UConn is going to drop football. Untenable stadium situation, no support base, and an admin that only cares about the 2 hoops teams. They will go the full Big East sports model.
Bring home da Wave!
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

doncecco wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:32 pm UConn is going to drop football. Untenable stadium situation, no support base, and an admin that only cares about the 2 hoops teams. They will go the full Big East sports model.
They also have a Scott Cowen
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Technically we were the first team to eliminate ourselves, though mathematically, we still have a chance :wink:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

waverider wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:05 pm Technically we were the first team to eliminate ourselves, though mathematically, we still have a chance :wink:
"Technically", don't kid yourself. For as bad as you think things are at Tulane, things are much worse at UConn. They were "eliminated" far, far before we were.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

doncecco wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:32 pm UConn is going to drop football. Untenable stadium situation, no support base, and an admin that only cares about the 2 hoops teams. They will go the full Big East sports model.
that was very obvious the day they made the move... the only question is why haven't they pulled the trigger, yet? Perhaps it was them trying to get the maximum out of what they owed Randy Edsall... but now that point is moot. I would wager in December the decision will be made... before early signing day (Dec 15). Let their "commitments" find alternatives.

The sting of them losing millions of state taxpayer dollars when they went to a BCS bowl still hasn't healed.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

I agree JM. I always wondered if there was some deal with a booster, or maybe stadium donors or some such, that they would play for X number of years. Something akin to (I'd assume) the Yulman family requiring we continue playing in the stadium for X years or whatever. There's no explainable reason beyond some large-money contractual situation why they'd continue playing like this.

If and when they call it quits, there are quite a few P5 programs who will suddenly be looking for games. I wouldn't mind Tulane scheduling some of them if we need opponents.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:02 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... li=BBnbfcL

0-6, 6 games left, but one is FCS which doesn't count towards the 6-win bowl threshold.
That article is quite literally incorrect. Many teams count 1 FCS win toward bowl eligibility, we've done it 2 of the last 3 years. I think the writer is getting stymied by the fact they had 2 FCS teams on their schedule, and assuming 2 wins there, they'd of needed to be 7-5, but since they lost the first one, they could totally count the second one. UConn still "has a chance!"
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
doncecco
President's Circle

Unread post by doncecco »

WaveProf wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:30 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:02 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... li=BBnbfcL

That article is quite literally incorrect. Many teams count 1 FCS win toward bowl eligibility, we've done it 2 of the last 3 years. I think the writer is getting stymied by the fact they had 2 FCS teams on their schedule, and assuming 2 wins there, they'd of needed to be 7-5, but since they lost the first one, they could totally count the second one. UConn still "has a chance!"
UConn has NO chance. I wouldn't put money on them to win 6 games if they played 12 FCS schools.
Bring home da Wave!
WaveProf
Cornerstone

doncecco wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:36 pm
WaveProf wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:30 pm

UConn has NO chance. I wouldn't put money on them to win 6 games if they played 12 FCS schools.
Sure. But we all knew that a month ago (or more). It's still shocking (to me) that a news outlet runs with blatantly false (and easy to look up) info, and the best we can all do is to go "well yeah but they won't win 6 games" :shock:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Uconn is favored by more than a fg against UMass this weekend if you can believe it. The run starts now!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

WaveProf wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:47 pmIt's still shocking (to me) that a news outlet runs with blatantly false (and easy to look up) info, and the best we can all do is to go "well yeah but they won't win 6 games" :shock:
Well they suckered me into reading the headline, skimming the first few lines, and sharing it here. Seemed like a legit enough source to trust but even if it was an unknown source, why would I even doubt what they said, ya know? Because while I can appreciate that some of y'all knew enough or cared enough to find out it was wrong, frankly, I didn't care enough to check.

In other words, I'm very diligent about researching the truth behind anything "important" before I share it online (or even to friends or family) but I completely and utterly did not consider this "important". 8)
WaveProf
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:28 pm
WaveProf wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:47 pmIt's still shocking (to me) that a news outlet runs with blatantly false (and easy to look up) info, and the best we can all do is to go "well yeah but they won't win 6 games" :shock:
Well they suckered me into reading the headline, skimming the first few lines, and sharing it here. Seemed like a legit enough source to trust but even if it was an unknown source, why would I even doubt what they said, ya know? Because while I can appreciate that some of y'all knew enough or cared enough to find out it was wrong, frankly, I didn't care enough to check.

In other words, I'm very diligent about researching the truth behind anything "important" before I share it online (or even to friends or family) but I completely and utterly did not consider this "important". 8)
I wasn't judging you Pete. I was judging the "news" source for their laziness, which is all too common these days