Coaching Carousel 2021-22 (the Delta Variant)

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
long green
Cornerstone

Coaching Carousel 2021-22 (the Delta Variant)

Post by long green »

Thank you to USC for firing up the ride this year. Two games in and it's the off-season already.

Clay Helton fired, Willie Fritz linked to Trojans' job (not really).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ssion=true
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: Coaching Carousel 2021-22 (the Delta Variant)

Post by Baywave1 »

Maybe Los Angeles is in the Delta Quadrant?

Well now we know why aTm gave Jimbo that ridiculous raise and contract extension last week. No more job hopping.

If losing to Stanford gets you fired, it’s time for willie to start doing his part for Tulane like helping Mr. Kiffen look for a job too, :green wink:
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

long green wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:31 pm Thank you to USC for firing up the ride this year. Two games in and it's the off-season already.

Clay Helton fired, Willie Fritz linked to Trojans' job (not really).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ssion=true
Fickell is mentioned prominently, most likely because the USC AD was the AD at Cincy. That would not be necessarily funny, but ironic: Cincy loses Fickell before jumping to the B12.

Tough job, USC. Great recruiting ground and tradition, but now you have to fight Chip Kelly for recruits. And Kelly looks like he has his act together. Be interesting to see who takes it. I don't see Fickell leaving Ohio, especially if OSU loses 1 or 2 more games.
Plan your work, work your plan.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

What, no mention of the Navy OC? He was first! Okay, I guess this is for head coaches only.

I heard jokes about Ohio State firing Day and taking Fickell after the game Saturday... Had the same thoughts as you, roto. Will Fickell see the Big 12?

Would be oddly coincidental if UC lost their basketball coach to UCLA and then their football coach to USC.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

What's the over/under on how many weeks until Urban Meyer has to resign from Jacksonville due to "health concerns"???
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

USC could go back to Coach Ed O. I hear he might be available. After all, he won a big bowl game for them and has won a national championship. 8)
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:05 pm What's the over/under on how many weeks until Urban Meyer has to resign from Jacksonville due to "health concerns"???
I think this time it will be to spend more time with his family.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Rotorooter wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:09 pm
krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:05 pm What's the over/under on how many weeks until Urban Meyer has to resign from Jacksonville due to "health concerns"???
I think this time it will be to spend more time with his family.
In Los Angeles
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:57 pm What, no mention of the Navy OC? He was first! Okay, I guess this is for head coaches only.

I heard jokes about Ohio State firing Day and taking Fickell after the game Saturday... Had the same thoughts as you, roto. Will Fickell see the Big 12?

Would be oddly coincidental if UC lost their basketball coach to UCLA and then their football coach to USC.
Actually, randy edsall at uconn was 1st, exactly a week ago. Good thing uconn got the jump on SC
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

You call Cristobal, Franklin, and Fickell. Nobody from inside USC. I wouldn't worry too much about Kelly at UCLA. He isn't a great recruiter and I think his schematic advantage has diminished considerably. He has a good squad this year but they are all veterans who have played together awhile. Their ceiling is lower than USCs for sure.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:24 pm You call Cristobal, Franklin, and Fickell. Nobody from inside USC. I wouldn't worry too much about Kelly at UCLA. He isn't a great recruiter and I think his schematic advantage has diminished considerably. He has a good squad this year but they are all veterans who have played together awhile. Their ceiling is lower than USCs for sure.
I don't think that USC is a better job than Penn St. Better weather, that's about it. Franklin would be crazy to leave where he is successful. Fickell would be my first call and when he turns it down, would I call Harbaugh? Now THAT would be funny.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Rotorooter wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:34 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:24 pm You call Cristobal, Franklin, and Fickell. Nobody from inside USC. I wouldn't worry too much about Kelly at UCLA. He isn't a great recruiter and I think his schematic advantage has diminished considerably. He has a good squad this year but they are all veterans who have played together awhile. Their ceiling is lower than USCs for sure.
I don't think that USC is a better job than Penn St. Better weather, that's about it. Franklin would be crazy to leave where he is successful. Fickell would be my first call and when he turns it down, would I call Harbaugh? Now THAT would be funny.
There is no Ohio St. In the Pac 12, so if you want to win a title the road is clearer. Better backyard recruiting ground too. I've also heard rumors that PSU isn't putting the resources behind their program at a level necessary to compete with the OSUs and Alabamas. Maybe USC won't either, but that would be for Franklin to determine
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:48 pm
There is no Ohio St. In the Pac 12, so if you want to win a title the road is clearer. Better backyard recruiting ground too. I've also heard rumors that PSU isn't putting the resources behind their program at a level necessary to compete with the OSUs and Alabamas. Maybe USC won't either, but that would be for Franklin to determine
I don't know, outlaw, Pennsylvania has had great recruiting talent for a long time. And you are king in PA at PSU (and NJ, NY, and others), not someone who is an also-ran in LA. You may be correct about Ohio St., but they may have down times, too, as all programs do. Don't know about the facilities discussion. I would think they'll go elsewhere first unless Franklin initiates. Nike will keep Cristobal if they want him at Oregon.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

If Ed O and Edsall pass taking Bohn’s call, Kelley at Presbyterian is available. Plus you only have to pay for wins but he might negotiate a surge fee for victories against the Domers and Sissy Blue.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Rotorooter wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:59 pm
I don't know, outlaw, Pennsylvania has had great recruiting talent for a long time. And you are king in PA at PSU (and NJ, NY, and others), not someone who is an also-ran in LA. You may be correct about Ohio St., but they may have down times, too, as all programs do. Don't know about the facilities discussion. I would think they'll go elsewhere first unless Franklin initiates. Nike will keep Cristobal if they want him at Oregon.
There's no doubt PSU can be a top 5 job when things are aligned. I meant there is more competition for recruits in PSUs backyard that USC. Alabama and OSU and some of the other powers go into So Cal for sure but USC isn't dealing with Pitt, Maryland, WVU, etc. If nothing else, Franklin might use this to get a raise and more commitment for other resources. If he did leave, PSU has what I think would be a great fit in Fickell right there.

Speaking of recruiting, the reason I say Cristobal is an option is how he is building the thing at Oregon. Cristobal is a recruiting machine and has been making a living grabbing California recruits and getting them to Oregon while USC is down. No doubt Oregon can pay him to stay, I just think the opportunity to recruit California as home turf might be pretty appealing for what he wants to accomplish.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

First off, Ivin Jasper got fired at Navy? Thanks for the heads-up. Interesting. No, OC's and UConn don't trigger the thread.

When Cristobal elected to stay at Oregon instead of Auburn he left money on the table.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Didn’t Jasper stay at Navy as QB coach? HC will act as OC too.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Apparently he was fired by Chet Gladchuk and Niumatalolo asked to get him back as QB coach. Sounds like a healthy situation.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

long green wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:30 am Apparently he was fired by Chet Gladchuk and Niumatalolo asked to get him back as QB coach. Sounds like a healthy situation.
Navy just fired a coach who won't get vaccinated... he tried to claim religious exemption, to no avail.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Wait, USC is an also-ran? To who? Plus they've got fairly unlimited NIL opportunities.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Johnny Mac wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:26 am
long green wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:30 am Apparently he was fired by Chet Gladchuk and Niumatalolo asked to get him back as QB coach. Sounds like a healthy situation.
Navy just fired a coach who won't get vaccinated... he tried to claim religious exemption, to no avail.
Did not know this angle. Assumed it was because the offense has been dreadful for two straight seasons.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

ml wave wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:21 pm
Wait, USC is an also-ran? To who? Plus they've got fairly unlimited NIL opportunities.
Last 10 USC football seasons:
1 Rose Bowl
1 P12 championship
3-4 in bowl games
1 losing season
1 Top 10 ranking

Also-ran may be a strong critique, but USC is not the program it used to be and is not ahead of its competition like UCLA or Oregon or, as we just saw, Stanford. It is not the clear leader in its conference anymore. Think DuBose at Alabama. Or Mike Archer at LSU. Tremendous potential to be sure, but they have not found the magic since Pete the Cheat went to Seattle. USC was in the wilderness before Carroll, too. The point I am making with outlaw is that USC is not an upgrade from Penn St. I stand by that. B10 is a better conference than the P12 and Penn St, in the last 10 years, has been equal or better on the field as USC, even with a major scandal that hindered it. Oregon is just as good a job, save the weather, especially with Nike footing the bills. Of the three coaches cited by outlaw, only Fickell would consider it an upgrade to be hired by USC. The other two may have a preference for USC over their current job, but it is not an upgrade.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

lsu fans would say “the day after Orgeron is fired”.

Regarding Fickle, it’s going to be a lot easier to keep him now that he will have a legitimate shot at playing for a NC (once the move is official).
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:33 pm
Johnny Mac wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:26 am
Did not know this angle. Assumed it was because the offense has been dreadful for two straight seasons.
Two different coaches being talked about. OC was fired by the AD and the brought back as QB coach by Niumatalolo. A different assistant was fired and he claims it's because he isn't vaccinated
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

waverider wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:10 pm
Regarding Fickle, it’s going to be a lot easier to keep him now that he will have a legitimate shot at playing for a NC (once the move is official).
Maybe, but highly unlikely and improbable. The new B12 will be lucky to keep its P5 status and UC will have to go undefeated to even have a chance. No room for error. Always, ALWAYS, second best in Ohio. He'll jump at the right opportunity which, if Day loses 2 more this season, may be his chance. I would be willing to bet heavily that he will not play the first game as UC's HC in the B12.