Coaching Carousel 2021-22 (the Delta Variant)

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: Coaching Carousel 2021-22 (the Delta Variant)

Post by tjtlja »

Wavedom, all Irish nation would love that to unfold.

As far as getting demolished, who doesn’t against Alabama. They are a one man wrecking crew. I hope Saban tears Kelly a new azz. Same for Kiffin, Pittman, Smart, Napier, Fisher, Leach, Stoops, and anyone else that wants to participate.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

wavedom wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:37 pm They've played UGA well recently and this UGA team isn't as good as those. It would be great to see them get in and then win it after he says they can't.
I disagree strongly, I think this UGA team is the best they've had except maybe 2017.

I agree it would be poetic justice for Notre Dame to pull off a title without him. Although I hope that doesn't come at the expense of Cincinnati getting into the playoff.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

We'll have to strongly agree to disagree.

As to Cincy screw them . I hope they lose and lose their coach.
We deserve so much better
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

wavedom wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:42 am We'll have to strongly agree to disagree.

I'd be curious to know which Kirby Smart iterations of UGA you think were better. That's not an opinion I've heard but I'm willing to entertain it.

They probably will lose their coach and he'll probably end up coaching at your other school, Notre Dame. Maybe you have insider info telling you differently, but not naming an interim sure makes it seem like they've got their sights set on somebody with games left to play.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:31 am
wavedom wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:42 am We'll have to strongly agree to disagree.

I'd be curious to know which Kirby Smart iterations of UGA you think were better. That's not an opinion I've heard but I'm willing to entertain it.

They probably will lose their coach and he'll probably end up coaching at your other school, Notre Dame. Maybe you have insider info telling you differently, but not naming an interim sure makes it seem like they've got their sights set on somebody with games left to play.
Sounds like the players want Freeman elevated...
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Every UC fan who was angry that Freeman left them last year for ND now is praying for ND to hire him.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Post by LawGreenie »

Sonny Cumbie to La Tech. Seems like a nice hire for them.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:31 am Every UC fan who was angry that Freeman left them last year for ND now is praying for ND to hire him.
When fickell gets picked up by ND, wouldn't Cinci just trun around and offer freeman the job?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:38 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:31 am Every UC fan who was angry that Freeman left them last year for ND now is praying for ND to hire him.
When fickell gets picked up by ND, wouldn't Cinci just trun around and offer freeman the job?
You'd think.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:47 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:38 pm
You'd think.
Which would offer a little feeling of retaliation to UC fans if they did manage to hire him since Fickell would likely want to keep Freeman for some continuity with the current ND players.

Obviously with ND being private we don't know any numbers but I'd be curious how ND coordinator money would compare to UC head money. I'm sure UC is higher and with pending Big 12 membership it might become much higher, but I'd love to know the actual numbers.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:31 am

I was in a rush. I was really referring to your last post on page 7. I think Kelly believes this ND team can beat UGA this year. It has been a ton of fun watching this team get better by leaps and bounds from the beginning of the season. I hope they get the chance to prove it but I don't think that's going to happen. As to UGA yes I think 2017 was better. As to Kelly he was tired of fighting for facilities. He wanted a new football building for the longest and hadn't gotten it. LSU has one of the best if not the best.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Just saw something that said Freeman will be named HC at ND...so we'll see if that's accurate
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Advocate reported today that Kelly is trying to recruit his ND coordinators to LSU. He has offered a $400,000 raise to the OC. No report on what he offered Freeman
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:34 pm Just saw something that said Freeman will be named HC at ND...so we'll see if that's accurate
I was waiting on a second confirmation but it's on espn now so yeah looks like freeman is the guy. Have to say, I'm pretty surprised they aren't just going to wait in Fickell. Freeman is a rising star but that's a big first time gig for a guy who's just been a coordinator.

Bay, Tommy Rees is the ND OC and he is reportedly sticking around as OC.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Outlaw, interesting about Freeman. ND has a history of making unconventional HC picks on occasion. Most of us remember the Faust hire. However they also selected a 25 year old Terry Brennan to succeed Frank Leahy. He had three top ten teams in five years and then was bizarrely fired. I don’t think he ever coached football again.

Freeman may be the next Lincoln Reilly but why not choose Fickell?

Anyway just to screw with Woodward, Kelly and the tigers, I’m now pulling for both ND and UC to make the CFP and play each other again, this time without Kelly. It’s not a far fetched scenario. It could happen if both Bama and Michigan lose Saturday.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

It does appear it is Freeman. Rees and a lot of the staff on both sides of the ball are staying along with the S&C coach. Should keep the great recruiting class. it gives continuity to a team that is well positioned to be in the hunt for the NC next year. He'll be coaching a major Bowl this season and open his first full season with a major test in Ohio State.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:19 pm Freeman may be the next Lincoln Reilly but why not choose Fickell?
Catholic guilt? :lol:
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:58 am
Baywave1 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:19 pm Freeman may be the next Lincoln Reilly but why not choose Fickell?
Catholic guilt? :lol:
Maybe the same reason Ohio St. chose Day over Fickell.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

wavedom wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:02 pm It does appear it is Freeman. Rees and a lot of the staff on both sides of the ball are staying along with the S&C coach. Should keep the great recruiting class. it gives continuity to a team that is well positioned to be in the hunt for the NC next year. He'll be coaching a major Bowl this season and open his first full season with a major test in Ohio State.
I don't follow ND but do you think the early signing period is why they aren't waiting for Fickell?
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:50 am
wavedom wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:02 pm It does appear it is Freeman. Rees and a lot of the staff on both sides of the ball are staying along with the S&C coach. Should keep the great recruiting class. it gives continuity to a team that is well positioned to be in the hunt for the NC next year. He'll be coaching a major Bowl this season and open his first full season with a major test in Ohio State.
I don't follow ND but do you think the early signing period is why they aren't waiting for Fickell?
Sure it has a role in it but Swarbrick is too good of an AD to let that force him into a bad decision. Freeman is no Frank Wilson. He is a damn good coach and coordinator. He has commanded the respect and admiration of the entire team in his brief time there. He also immediately stated upon taking the ND DC spot that ND didn't have to be limited in recruiting to so called ND guys. He said there are a lot of good players that can make it at ND and that ND needed to start reaching out to those players. They have. Now there's no guarantees he'll succeed as a HC. A lot of great coordinators just haven't cut it as HC's. But there are a lot of good reasons to believe he can be a successful HC.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Post by LawGreenie »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:50 am
Or Ryan Day to the Bears rumors are true and Fickell will be back at Ohio State.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Addazio out at Colorado St. after just two years. Awful fit, awful hire, awful results. Their hiring process was basically, "let's ask urban meyer who he likes" and the results played out exactly as expected. That could be a good job if they ever get their act together.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Looks like lsu stole a video ND had already made about Kelly.

https://twitter.com/reillyfangman/statu ... 41639?s=21
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Mendenhall stepping down at UVA
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:20 pm Addazio out at Colorado St. after just two years. Awful fit, awful hire, awful results. Their hiring process was basically, "let's ask urban meyer who he likes" and the results played out exactly as expected. That could be a good job if they ever get their act together.
Ah, the Coach O method of hiring!