Coaching Carousel 2021-22 (the Delta Variant)

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Re: Coaching Carousel 2021-22 (the Delta Variant)

Unread post by OGSB »

Napier to Florida apparently official
Victory is never permanent
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:50 pm I honestly don't think any college head coach wants the LSU job... and I would not be surprised to see Joe Brady get a look.. the Panthers are a dumpster fire and looking worse offensively every week.
But cam's baaaaaaack
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:00 pm
Johnny Mac wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:50 pm I honestly don't think any college head coach wants the LSU job... and I would not be surprised to see Joe Brady get a look.. the Panthers are a dumpster fire and looking worse offensively every week.
But cam's baaaaaaack
5 for 21, 2 ints today... he's waived tomorrow
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

OGSB wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:50 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:53 pm Lincoln Riley to usc. Huge move there
Honestly didn’t see that coming. When was the last time OU lost a coach to another school?

Now I’m starting to see articles asking, where does LSU go from here?
They could be going after Aranda. His team is in the CCG so they have to wait a week.
We deserve so much better
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:53 pm Lincoln Riley to usc. Huge move there
Honestly didn’t see that coming. When was the last time OU lost a coach to another school?

I think the last time they lost a sitting head coach was 1973 and that was Fairbanks to the NFL. Saw that in an article and think I got the details right.

Here's the thing, OU and Texas chased the money to the SEC and in so doing made life much harder for themselves competitively. OU is not in a recruiting hot bed and will soon be playing Alabama, lsu, a&m, Georgia and Florida on a regular basis. It might go ok for them but they might also be the next Nebraska or Tennessee, pouring resources into a program that has a ceiling unless those around them screw up. At USC you can run the conference and if you do it right you control your own destiny like few others can. It surprised me too, but I get it
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:15 pm

I think the last time they lost a sitting head coach was 1973 and that was Fairbanks to the NFL. Saw that in an article and think I got the details right.

Here's the thing, OU and Texas chased the money to the SEC and in so doing made life much harder for themselves competitively. OU is not in a recruiting hot bed and will soon be playing Alabama, lsu, a&m, Georgia and Florida on a regular basis. It might go ok for them but they might also be the next Nebraska or Tennessee, pouring resources into a program that has a ceiling unless those around them screw up. At USC you can run the conference and if you do it right you control your own destiny like few others can. It surprised me too, but I get it
Imagine the NIL opportunities he can sell to recruits being in Los Angeles and the USC brand
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

OGSB wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:51 pm Napier to Florida apparently official
LSU will either look real smart or real dumb for passing on him.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

wavedom wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:35 pm

They could be going after Aranda. His team is in the CCG so they have to wait a week.
That’s who I was thinking as well. He just got an extension and a raise the other day so if does leave, Baylor may have assured themselves a nice buyout (I don’t know the details of the new contract).
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Rabalais’s column tonight makes it obvious he does not have the LSU AD as a source. Rabelais is clueless as to who the next coach is other than he expects the hire this week. I can’t see Aranda leaving BU this week. No surprise if he does come to LSU next Sunday.

So we will find out soon the quality of Rabalais’s sources which are almost certainly at LSU board level.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Curious to see how new transfer rules impact the carousel. Will players follow their coach wholesale like recruits sometimes do?

Also does Patterson or Mullen or Helton immediately take G5 HC jobs this offseason?
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Baywave1 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:05 pm Curious to see how new transfer rules impact the carousel. Will players follow their coach wholesale like recruits sometimes do?

Also does Patterson or Mullen or Helton immediately take G5 HC jobs this offseason?
Helton already did
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:02 pm
One thing Napier did is he assembled an excellent staff. His DC was SELU's sitting head coach; his OC came with him from Az State. He got Jaluke on that staff (et tu, Willie Fritz?). He'll have to take it a couple of steps up at Florida, but if he can, he'll be successful. I think that's a key to ARk's quick resurgence as well: DC ex HC at Missouri (and a pretty good one); Briles the OC.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:32 pm
Baywave1 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:05 pm Curious to see how new transfer rules impact the carousel. Will players follow their coach wholesale like recruits sometimes do?

Helton already did
Too much advent eggnog! Thanks

With or without the spiritual help, I think I can safely guess Coach O is now headed to University of Destin Beach after a rest stop at the Florabam
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Meanwhile Cutliffe is out at Duke. His performance recently parallels Willie’s.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

GSx wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:45 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:02 pm
One thing Napier did is he assembled an excellent staff. His DC was SELU's sitting head coach; his OC came with him from Az State. He got Jaluke on that staff (et tu, Willie Fritz?). He'll have to take it a couple of steps up at Florida, but if he can, he'll be successful. I think that's a key to ARk's quick resurgence as well: DC ex HC at Missouri (and a pretty good one); Briles the OC.
Juluke would be a great hire for us.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Brady apparently hates recruiting, so that might work out well for us. I'm guessing it's either Mark Stoops or BOB.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Unread post by LawGreenie »

AAC news...Rod Carey fired at Temple after 12-20 in four seasons. Carey was rumored to be on our short list when CWF was hired.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Baywave1 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:08 am Meanwhile Cutliffe is out at Duke. His performance recently parallels Willie’s.
Kind of, but he got Duke to an ACC title game and Peach Bowl. He won 8 games as recently as 2018. Willie has a lot to accomplish before he's replicated that kind of success for us.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

LawGreenie wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:57 am AAC news...Rod Carey fired at Temple after 12-20 in four seasons. Carey was rumored to be on our short list when CWF was hired.
Thank goodness we didn't hire him. It's never a good sign when the fan base a coach is leaving is happy to see him go. Carey took over an already successful NIU and managed to back into a MAC title. They were not as good as they had been under Doeren and Kill before him. NIU fans were happy he left. Very reminiscent of UCF fans who were happy to see Heupel go.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Temple has its own little carousel: Carey out, former coaches Steve Addazio at Colorado State and Geoff Collins at Ga Tech on the ropes, and Matt Rhule seems to be casting about for ways out of Carolina.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Rhett Lashlee to smu
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Fresno state HC (debuer?) headed to Washington
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

OU is supposed to have an agreement already with Brent Venables.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
LawGreenie
Coach Level

That's how you run a coaching search.

First defection from Dabo's staff. Interesting to see if Venables takes a few more with him. I had no idea J.P. Losman was on Clemson's staff.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

LawGreenie wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:32 pm That's how you run a coaching search.

First defection from Dabo's staff. Interesting to see if Venables takes a few more with him. I had no idea J.P. Losman was on Clemson's staff.
Hardly. Jeff Scott is a Clemson guy and he took the usf job. Chad Morris also left Clemson when he took the smu job. Still, it is a big defection if it happens.

Lsu now kicking the tires on Brian Kelly. That smells like Kelly fishing for more resources, but you never know