Coaching Carousel 2021-22 (the Delta Variant)

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Re: Coaching Carousel 2021-22 (the Delta Variant)

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

long green wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:08 pm OU is supposed to have an agreement already with Brent Venables.
Didn't stoops fire Venables when he was the DC at Oklahoma?
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:00 pm
LawGreenie wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:32 pm That's how you run a coaching search.

First defection from Dabo's staff. Interesting to see if Venables takes a few more with him. I had no idea J.P. Losman was on Clemson's staff.
Hardly. Jeff Scott is a Clemson guy and he took the usf job. Chad Morris also left Clemson when he took the smu job. Still, it is a big defection if it happens.

Lsu now kicking the tires on Brian Kelly. That smells like Kelly fishing for more resources, but you never know
I’m seeing reports that if Kelly takes the job (and many believe he will) Luke Fickle will be his replacement.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

waverider wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:34 pm
LawGreenie wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:32 pm That's how you run a coaching search.

First defection from Dabo's staff. Interesting to see if Venables takes a few more with him. I had no idea J.P. Losman was on Clemson's staff.
Hardly. Jeff Scott is a Clemson guy and he took the usf job. Chad Morris also left Clemson when he took the smu job. Still, it is a big defection if it happens.

Lsu now kicking the tires on Brian Kelly. That smells like Kelly fishing for more resources, but you never know
I’m seeing reports that if Kelly takes the job (and many believe he will) Luke Fickle will be his replacement.
I don't think it's close to done or anything. Some of the reports coming out are from the same people who thought Lincoln Riley was a done deal. However, I do think notre dame is one of the 4 jobs fickell would leave cinci for. The others being Ohio st, Michigan, and Penn st.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

waverider wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:34 pm

Ok now it's look done. Being reported all over the place. Wow what a hire for them. And now fickell will likely go to ND. So you could see 2 playoff teams replacing their coaches while still in contention for the playoff. Wow
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Very disappointing that Coach Kelly would leave the Irish for the stink tank up the river, especially during a playoff run. I hope ND can retain most of their staff, particularly Tommy Rees and Marcus Freeman who coached at Cinncy and is very much responsible for their current recruiting class. I don’t get this one at all. The money must be staggering.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Does the NCAA need to reconsider the December signing period? It’s nuts for coaches with title chances to be changing schools before their season ends.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:11 pm Very disappointing that Coach Kelly would leave the Irish for the stink tank up the river, especially during a playoff run. I don’t get this one at all. (...) The money must be staggering.
Your ND fandom must be clouding your view of Kelly because from all I've heard, he's all about himself and getting paid.

That said, we've all seen how terrible many SEC jobs are (booster interference, unreasonable fan expectations, etc. ) yet we've all seen how the money and the "top level challenge" lures coaches from previous "they've got it made" gigs. Plenty of coaches who were already making multiple million a year at places where they were successful and beloved have gone to SEC programs and failed and had to basically take a big step down or leave the field entirely. Those guys are a different breed.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Pete, my ND fandom is certainly clouding my judgment. ND is a difficult position to sustain success. We saw the lean years from Holtz to Kelly. He is an a-hole, but he knew how to win at ND. They have a top 3 class coming (not any more) and a possible playoff team and he bails.

One thing I can definitely say is he may not be an ideal fit for LSU. He has never coached in the south. We will see.

Pete, what is the word on Cinncy on Fickell and Marcus Freeman. The Cinncy fans must be freaking out.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

So, Fickell to ND, Fritz to Cincinnati? Midwest guy. Knows the area.

And Tony, I'd agree on Kelly being an odd fit for LSU. But then Saban was too and he did ok.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Reportedly a 10-year, $100 million contract
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

gerryb323 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:06 pm So, Fickell to ND, Fritz to Cincinnati? Midwest guy. Knows the area.

And Tony, I'd agree on Kelly being an odd fit for LSU. But then Saban was too and he did ok.
Long knows the area as well
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:09 pm Reportedly a 10-year, $100 million contract
I saw one report of $15 million per year. Maybe that includes incentives.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

waverider wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:30 pm
krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:09 pm Reportedly a 10-year, $100 million contract
We're not even playing the same game
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Size of Kelly contract as well as others suggests CFP expansion to 12 teams will be effective sooner rather than later. These folks are expecting even more dough coming their way.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

gerryb323 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:06 pm So, Fickell to ND, Fritz to Cincinnati? Midwest guy. Knows the area.

Don't see a Top 25 program hiring Fritz right now.
Bring home da Wave!
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

gerryb323 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:42 pm
waverider wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:30 pm
We're not even playing the same game
No, we aren't. Sooner or later there's going to be a rift along budget lines within college sports, or at least for college football. It's not sustainable for us to try and compete with SEC programs right now and that gap is only growing.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

That's a pretty solid assessment.
Sigh...
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

probably Fickell but Urban would be amazing! :angel:
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Yankeewave wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:10 am probably Fickell but Urban would be amazing! :angel:
The Notre Dame job wouldn't be the first thing to fall into Meyer's lap this year
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Post by LawGreenie »

Fun fact: Kelly's first game as LSU coach will come in the Superdome, against Florida State. I might get out of town for that weekend.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

OGSB, thanks for providing the link.

It’s absolutely disgraceful. He’s basically saying the national championship means nothing. I know it was a long shot but those players still believed that they may have been playing in the playoffs. It’s terrible. I hear Fickell is their main target but he’d probably have to do the same thing. College football is not what it used to be.

And where does Tulane fit in this mess?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

tjtlja wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:00 pm OGSB, thanks for providing the link.

It’s absolutely disgraceful. He’s basically saying the national championship means nothing. I know it was a long shot but those players still believed that they may have been playing in the playoffs. It’s terrible. I hear Fickell is their main target but he’d probably have to do the same thing. College football is not what it used to be.

And where does Tulane fit in this mess?
Oh I think he is saying the national championship is all that matters to him at this point. He's also saying he doesn't think he can win one at Notre Dame simultaneously. He's been close three times and gotten demolished each time. It's not hard to see them getting in this year, just a UGA win and ok state or cinci loss and they are in. But he knows the team he has can't top UGA so it'll just be another playoff appearance at best.

We don't fit in at all in this particular mess and neither do 115 of the 130 current fbs programs. It's like we aren't aren't playing the same sport. Eventually college football will have to separate along budgetary lines or else impose rules that level the playing field. Spoiler alert, it will be the former
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

They've played UGA well recently and this UGA team isn't as good as those. It would be great to see them get in and then win it after he says they can't.
We deserve so much better