Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:38 am 
Emerald Circle

If the governor signs the bill, it would be a direct clash between a state law and NCAA rules.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1052886

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:00 pm 
Cornerstone

What if the NCAA doesn't wimp out and declares that any game in which a paid player plays is forfeited. How long will the law survive if California teams have to foreit every game? A professional league already exists, if you want to be paid, go there, otherwise, toil just for the fun and glory of it. This is an extremely stupid law (but then, a lot of California laws are stupid).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:18 pm 
Emerald Circle

I stumbled across this story because a radio morning show was talking about it when I got in the car one morning. They were saying that USC, UCLA, Stanford, etc., could effectively have their teams wiped out if this stuck (meaning they couldn't participate in NCAA competition). Obviously it's not going to happen and they were being hyperbolic for effect, but it got my attention.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

Much more likely, to me, is that other states follow suit with similar rules. Won't take much more than losing a few recruits to get the balls rolling.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:46 pm 
Regent's Circle

Roller wrote:
What if the NCAA doesn't wimp out and declares that any game in which a paid player plays is forfeited. How long will the law survive if California teams have to foreit every game? A professional league already exists, if you want to be paid, go there, otherwise, toil just for the fun and glory of it. This is an extremely stupid law (but then, a lot of California laws are stupid).

Agree :!: :!:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:03 pm 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
Much more likely, to me, is that other states follow suit with similar rules. Won't take much more than losing a few recruits to get the balls rolling.

So basically all the BigStateU folks in the state houses would force the NCAA to give up the amateur sham by effectively colluding to throw the pretense out the window by making it illegal?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:42 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:

So basically all the BigStateU folks in the state houses would force the NCAA to give up the amateur sham by effectively colluding to throw the pretense out the window by making it illegal?
Yep!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:22 am 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Yep!

NY and SC apparently next on the docket...