California bill allows athletes to be paid

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

California bill allows athletes to be paid

Post by PeteRasche »

If the governor signs the bill, it would be a direct clash between a state law and NCAA rules.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1052886
Roller
Cornerstone

Re: California bill allows athletes to be paid

Post by Roller »

What if the NCAA doesn't wimp out and declares that any game in which a paid player plays is forfeited. How long will the law survive if California teams have to foreit every game? A professional league already exists, if you want to be paid, go there, otherwise, toil just for the fun and glory of it. This is an extremely stupid law (but then, a lot of California laws are stupid).
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I stumbled across this story because a radio morning show was talking about it when I got in the car one morning. They were saying that USC, UCLA, Stanford, etc., could effectively have their teams wiped out if this stuck (meaning they couldn't participate in NCAA competition). Obviously it's not going to happen and they were being hyperbolic for effect, but it got my attention.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Much more likely, to me, is that other states follow suit with similar rules. Won't take much more than losing a few recruits to get the balls rolling.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

Roller wrote:What if the NCAA doesn't wimp out and declares that any game in which a paid player plays is forfeited. How long will the law survive if California teams have to foreit every game? A professional league already exists, if you want to be paid, go there, otherwise, toil just for the fun and glory of it. This is an extremely stupid law (but then, a lot of California laws are stupid).
Agree :!: :!:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote:Much more likely, to me, is that other states follow suit with similar rules. Won't take much more than losing a few recruits to get the balls rolling.
So basically all the BigStateU folks in the state houses would force the NCAA to give up the amateur sham by effectively colluding to throw the pretense out the window by making it illegal?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:Much more likely, to me, is that other states follow suit with similar rules. Won't take much more than losing a few recruits to get the balls rolling.
So basically all the BigStateU folks in the state houses would force the NCAA to give up the amateur sham by effectively colluding to throw the pretense out the window by making it illegal?
Yep!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Yep!
NY and SC apparently next on the docket...
Godfather
President's Circle

Post by Godfather »

NCAA will lose the game of chicken. There are enough California schools to form a decent sized conference and secede from the NCAA. Some network will want to televise the games - it's a large TV market, the two LA schools have rich celebrity fan bases, NorCal has Big Tech and can help them become a pioneer in live streaming.

Then if a few other states follow suit the NCAA is truly over a barrel. Imagine Oregon passing a similar law so Nike University joins the fun. Washington brings in Microsoft.

Blue chip recruits sign with schools in states where they can do autograph shows or commercials for local car dealerships.

NCAA allows outside money (like every non athlete is allowed to accept) or it becomes a second tier league.

I just hope Gambino's Bakery, Freeport McMoran, etc, are willing to provide enough no show jobs to keep us competitive.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:If the governor signs the bill, it would be a direct clash between a state law and NCAA rules.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1052886
He signed it!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I look forward in 2023 to see how much money Arch Manning signs for to attend college.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

FearTheWave did an interview with an SBNation guy who's been covering all this. Good info about what the CA law would allow and wouldn't (direct payments from schools).
Google podcast
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Gabe Feldman had presented this idea for compensation to student-athletes based on their image/likeness etc.
It says they cannot be paid for game-related activities; but can do advertising deals with third parties subject to certain restrictions.
read pages 9-12 for Gabe's specific structure of such payments. Troy Dannen has tweeted that the ideas presented may have lots of merit.
https://www.knightcommission.org/wp-con ... y_2016.pdf
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

California prides itself on lots of state rules governing employment including anti-ageism. Easiest one here would be that any employer in that state cannot restrict hiring someone of legal age (here 18.) In other words if you want to go pro in NFL or NBA, they can sign you at 18. Period.

It's possible that NBA and NFL would walk from California market over this but that's a game of chicken I'd play since they'd be withdrawing from the "7th biggest economy in the world," yada yada yada.

We have virtually none of this corruption in college baseball because folks can go to work after high school if they prefer instead of going to college. It also works in all other sports like soccer, track & field and swimming.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Baywave1 wrote:It's possible that NBA and NFL would walk from California market over this but that's a game of chicken I'd play since they'd be withdrawing from the "7th biggest economy in the world," yada yada yada.
This doesn't speak for all of California but let's look at NFL and NBA in Los Angeles

The Rams played last weekend in a stadium that LOOKED like it was full of 60,000 Tampa fans... because the seats in the Coliseum are red. The Rams have probably had one actual sell out in their recent (post St. Louis) history and it was the home playoff game versus Dallas last year (I doubt they sold out the Falcons wild card game the previous year). People just don't give a rat's behind about the Rams in LA. They moved despite having any fan interest at all. Don't even get me started on the Chargers.. they have to tarp off a 25,000 seat soccer stadium to "sell out" games for a playoff caliber team.

In re the NBA, I was in Los Angeles during the 2009 NBA finals. Game 4 of their sweep of the Magic was on TV and based on the lack of cheering, nobody was watching. They won the title that night and nobody seemed to know or care. There was a celebration of about 30 people near the Staples Center that resulted in a vandalized bus. The Lakers are merely the recreational toy of the very wealthy. The rank and file fan stopped watching when Magic retired. Nobody has ever given a rat's a88 about the Clippers.

The NBA and NFL can leave the LA area and nobody would notice.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:California prides itself on lots of state rules governing employment including anti-ageism. Easiest one here would be that any employer in that state cannot restrict hiring someone of legal age (here 18.) In other words if you want to go pro in NFL or NBA, they can sign you at 18. Period.

It's possible that NBA and NFL would walk from California market over this but that's a game of chicken I'd play since they'd be withdrawing from the "7th biggest economy in the world," yada yada yada.

We have virtually none of this corruption in college baseball because folks can go to work after high school if they prefer instead of going to college. It also works in all other sports like soccer, track & field and swimming.
NBA is getting rid of their age requirement sometime in the next three or so years.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:California prides itself on lots of state rules governing employment including anti-ageism. Easiest one here would be that any employer in that state cannot restrict hiring someone of legal age (here 18.) In other words if you want to go pro in NFL or NBA, they can sign you at 18. Period.

NBA is getting rid of their age requirement sometime in the next three or so years.
Good point about NBA. And JM's point about LA being in effect the most band wagon sports town in America is true. However there still is SF (and San Jose I guess for the Sharks. But that doesn't matter since NHL lets you go pro too at 18.)

All academic. "Experts" today virtually all say NCAA will fold/compromise except for a few that say CA will lose on constitutionality. TBD.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Good point about NBA. And JM's point about LA being in effect the most band wagon sports town in America is true. However there still is SF (and San Jose I guess for the Sharks. But that doesn't matter since NHL lets you go pro too at 18.)

All academic. "Experts" today virtually all say NCAA will fold/compromise except for a few that say CA will lose on constitutionality. TBD.
Again, I think other states will follow which will force the NCAAs hand even more.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

President Teddy Roosevelt pulled together a consortium of universities to address adding some control over college athletics. That meeting led directly to the formation of the NCAA. So there is precedent for Federal involvement if things are seen to get too far out of hand.

We shall see where it goes.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Roller wrote:President Teddy Roosevelt pulled together a consortium of universities to address adding some control over college athletics. That meeting led directly to the formation of the NCAA. So there is precedent for Federal involvement if things are seen to get too far out of hand.

In the current environment I’d think fixing the college football woes would rank just below...anything. :wink:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Roller wrote:President Teddy Roosevelt pulled together a consortium of universities to address adding some control over college athletics. That meeting led directly to the formation of the NCAA. So there is precedent for Federal involvement if things are seen to get too far out of hand.

Yes, the NCAA has gotten out of hand for decades but it seems this time that the states are going to be the ones reigning it in.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Federal government may step in

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... e-athletes

This is probably the best-case scenario for college athletics in general. Federal legislation would ensure that everyone has the same set of rules, at least.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

GretnaGrn wrote:Federal government may step in

This is probably the best-case scenario for college athletics in general. Federal legislation would ensure that everyone has the same set of rules, at least.
I don't know. Federal involvement often comes with unintended consequences. I think I'd rather see the NCAA disbanded and replaced by a new governing body that's more focused practicalities than idealism. That could happen without federal legislation regulating things.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:

I don't know. Federal involvement often comes with unintended consequences. I think I'd rather see the NCAA disbanded and replaced by a new governing body that's more focused practicalities than idealism. That could happen without federal legislation regulating things.
The NCAA clearly won't disband itself, and I very much doubt that the members are willing to do so. Federal involvement is the least offensive of the realistic options IMHO; it certainly beats a piecemeal state-by-state approach.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

GretnaGrn wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

The NCAA clearly won't disband itself, and I very much doubt that the members are willing to do so. Federal involvement is the least offensive of the realistic options IMHO; it certainly beats a piecemeal state-by-state approach.
That's fair, I just disagree. Piecemeal pressure from the states, which seems inevitable to me, will force the NCAA to reorganize or die. Schools, especially the publics that are beholden to state legislators, will get behind whatever keeps the money flowing. Faced with a restructuring, they'll be more than happy to participate in forming a new organization.