College baseball postseason changes

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
FW
Cornerstone

College baseball postseason changes

Post by FW »

Kendall Rogers
@KendallRogersD1

BREAKING: Beginning in 2018, the @NCAACWS Baseball Tourney will seed 1-16, not 1-8. Huge news for the sport

https://d1baseball.com/news/seeding-cha ... g-tourney/
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Re: College baseball postseason changes

Post by GretnaGrn »

An important change, and one that's long overdue IMHO.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Yay, so after all 14 SEC teams are seeded, there’s still a chance at the other two spots, right? :lol:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

TUPF wrote:Yay, so after all 14 SEC teams are seeded, there’s still a chance at the other two spots, right? :lol:
Well played, sir. I see you've read the small print.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Some of the names that jumped out at me: Jim Schlossnagel, Scott Sidwell, and Andy Cannizaro...

Does anyone know how this is to work? The way I read it, I took it to say that the 16 regions are going to be seeded according to the #1 seeds in each regional; the regionals will continue to be played in the existing format (double elim), with the winner of each, instead of facing off in a Super Regional, will move directly into that region's seeded spot in the tourney. Presumably, the CWS round of 16 will be double elim from there on, until the champion is crowned.

Anybody know?
chigoyboy
Breaker Level

Post by chigoyboy »

I am thinking it will not change much. We already have 16 Regional sites. I am assuming that instead of naming the 16 regional hosts, that they will just name the 16 regional seeds and they will host and pair them up that way. 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15 and so forth. Unless they are planning on reseeding after the Regional round is finished and not pairing them up before the tourney starts. That would make things really interesting.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

chigoyboy wrote:I am thinking it will not change much. We already have 16 Regional sites. I am assuming that instead of naming the 16 regional hosts, that they will just name the 16 regional seeds and they will host and pair them up that way. 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15 and so forth. Unless they are planning on reseeding after the Regional round is finished and not pairing them up before the tourney starts. That would make things really interesting.
Your first explanation is how I read it, and if the top seeds in a 4 team regional are upset, the winner takes the place of the 1-16 seed. The description implies that reseeding would open up a whole can of worms.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

The big change was the previously what will now be 9-16 was somewhat regional as opposed to strictly based on merit (or SEC membership LOL). This should eliminate the geographic aspect of matchups in the Supers.
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

I have a different take on this:

1) The NCAA announces the 16 hosting sites late Sunday evening or early Monday morning.
2) The NCAA announces the top ranked 16 teams in the tournament, ranked 1 thru 16.
3) The NCAA then announces an additional number of "Alternate Sites to Host" in the event a winner of a regional "COULD NOT HOST" due to their own field conditions.

Example: UCONN - Ranked nationally as no. 16 but cannot and does not submit a bid to host a regional. They play and win their regional as national ranked team number 16. If any team in the regional with the 8th seeded team wins, and also submitted a bid to host, then that team will host the super-regional (even if it was the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th ranked team in that regional)

If the winners from each regional did not submit a bid to host, then the 2 teams would play at an "Alternate Site to Host" previously selected by the NCAA committee. (This is simply my opinion)