NCAA tournament 2017 discussion

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

NCAA tournament 2017 discussion

Post by PeteRasche »

Some pretty good early round games (and potential upsets based on how teams match up).

Anyone else think the committee was laughing to themselves when they got to put Vandy against Northwestern? The "smart schools of the powers conferences".

I'll be looking for UNO fans passing through town up I-75 today and tomorrow. :mrgreen: As a side note, Dayton is expecting snow tonight into tomorrow morning, but it should be clear by mid-day. A little farther north and it would possibly be ugly.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: NCAA tournament 2017 discussion

Post by TUPF »

About the weather. This nor'easter is shaping up to be a March classic of its own: 10-20" in NYC alone overnight into tomorrow evening. Big cities always have one major problem with a lot of sudden snow: where to put it (in the river is not the answer). If you gave any travel scheduled in the Philly to Boston corridor for the next couple of days, I'd make contingency plans.

As for the brackets, I homered here a bit and picked Nova to repeat even though that's next to impossible on one bracket, and Louisville on my second. I always only do two. I joined the Tulane group on ESPN challenge like always.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:Some pretty good early round games (and potential upsets based on how teams match up).

Anyone else think the committee was laughing to themselves when they got to put Vandy against Northwestern? The "smart schools of the powers conferences".

I'll be looking for UNO fans passing through town up I-75 today and tomorrow. :mrgreen: As a side note, Dayton is expecting snow tonight into tomorrow morning, but it should be clear by mid-day. A little farther north and it would possibly be ugly.
IIRC Princeton is in that quadrant too
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Well since my master's degree is from ETSU, I'm pulling for them to upset Florida. Ultimately I'd like to see Gonzaga win it all, but fear we'll see one of the bluebloods (UNC, Kansas, Duke, Kentucky) take the crown. Still fun, though I hope we'll see some Tulane teams in the tourney soon.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Some pretty good early round games (and potential upsets based on how teams match up).

IIRC Princeton is in that quadrant too
Princeton vs Notre Dame is the other matchup there. I thought the same thing about the academics
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:Princeton vs Notre Dame is the other matchup there. I thought the same thing about the academics
Funny, I made that comment as we watched the selection show and my wife, a good southerner, said, "Notre Dame? They're not that good of an academic school!" :lol:
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Ya gotta foul, Slessinger.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

GSx wrote:Ya gotta foul, Slessinger.
Agreed.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Early action in game one, as UVA storms back from a 14 point first half deficit to take a one point lead at halftime over upset darling UNCW...
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Princeton hanging with ND too with 4 minutes to go
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

in case you wondered about the money

Fund and games

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... caa-money/

The payout rules are complicated but enticing. Even if your college basketball team doesn’t win a game, you win $1.67 million. A round-of-16 appearance rakes in almost $5 million. A Final Four run? $8.3 million
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

woohoo! my bracket is still perfect!

(ND won)
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

MattK wrote:woohoo! my bracket is still perfect!

(ND won)
Have not filled one out since winning the office bracket in 2009 :mrgreen:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

The spike in vasectomies during March Madness...
http://grantland.com/features/ncaa-tour ... h-madness/
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

waverider wrote: Have not filled one out since winning the office bracket in 2009 :mrgreen:

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:The spike in vasectomies during March Madness...
http://grantland.com/features/ncaa-tour ... h-madness/
I was thinking I'd heard that before... And then saw your link is from 2014. :mrgreen:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

That sound just heard was all the brackets with Villanova as repeat champions going into the schredder. Mine included.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:That sound just heard was all the brackets with Villanova as repeat champions going into the schredder. Mine included.
Wisconsin won despite the officials trying to frick them at every turn.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I had Nova in my final four, but I figure I'm not out cause I have Gonzaga winning it all and Butler in the final 4. Can't me many others that have that. The odds of those happening are long (always were) but were they to happen they still leave me a window even with Nova out
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

You know who really got screwed was Villanova having to play Wisconsin in the second round. The Badgers should have had the 5 seed Minnesota occupied. While I had Nova in my Final Four, kudos to Wisconsin for overcoming a ridiculous seeding and a tough draw.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:You know who really got screwed was Villanova having to play Wisconsin in the second round. The Badgers should have had the 5 seed Minnesota occupied. While I had Nova in my Final Four, kudos to Wisconsin for overcoming a ridiculous seeding and a tough draw.
NICE WORDS ....... Thankyou !!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

And my hometown Musketeers (even without perhaps their best player, Sumner, and despite losing like 6 of their last 7 regular season games) start playing like the team they were back in the early season and knock out #3 Florida State in emphatic fashion.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

PeteRasche wrote:And my hometown Musketeers (even without perhaps their best player, Sumner, and despite losing like 6 of their last 7 regular season games) start playing like the team they were back in the early season and knock out #3 Florida State in emphatic fashion.
Yeah .....a BIG TIME KNOCKOUT !!!!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I did two brackets this year where I basically go opposite on any matchup I think is close. In my first, Nova wins it all...in the second, Louisville wins it all. Both don't make the Sweet 16.

Don't trust me for anything.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

How sweet it is!
Loserville goes down in flames. Both Michigan and Wisconsin looked very well coached.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.