2017 Coaching Carousel Thread

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
long green
Cornerstone

2017 Coaching Carousel Thread

Post by long green »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... e-bulldogs

The link above is as good a reason as any to get this holiday tradition started. Very solid hire on paper. What's really interesting is that Tedford is one of those ex-head coaches that kept his hand in the game as a consultant instead of being a coordinator as his resume would command. Steve Sarkisian is doing this at Alabama while hoping memories fade (and getting some help, I'd guess).
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Definitely a solid hire, but I hope he doesn't suffer from Toledo syndrome. Sometimes those old established coaches are too ready to rest on their laurels and mail it in. Tedford had some good teams at Cal, with guys like Marshawn Lynch and Shane Vereen. He'll need to be up for a major rebuild with Fresno St.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Definitely a solid hire, but I hope he doesn't suffer from Toledo syndrome. Sometimes those old established coaches are too ready to rest on their laurels and mail it in. Tedford had some good teams at Cal, with guys like Marshawn Lynch and Shane Vereen. He'll need to be up for a major rebuild with Fresno St.
There's a reason most folks retire in their 60s. There are outliers, sure, and some folks cannot stand to be away from the thrill of the hunt, but I'd say given the financial opportunity the vast majority would (or should) opt to retire. I retired at 60 two months ago and don't miss it one bit, especially after talking with my old office mates. The machine grinds on and there's always someone to replace you. I'd rather die on the beach with a book in one hand and an adult beverage in the other than on the job. :mrgreen: It would be best while streaming Tulane playing for a national championship in a money sport. 8)
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

You'd be just as happy if Tulane's Women's Volleyball team was playing for a National Championship ...
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

sr wrote:You'd be just as happy if Tulane's Women's Volleyball team was playing for a National Championship ...
:!:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
speckled trout
Navigator Level

Post by speckled trout »

There are rumors floating around that Purdue might go after Les Miles. This would be a good hire IMO
"You are unique, just like everyone else"
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

speckled trout wrote:There are rumors floating around that Purdue might go after Les Miles. This would be a good hire IMO
I've heard the same but I'll challenge you a bit on that. Do you think he'll be able to recruit well to Purdue? And do you think he'll be innovative enough to win there? The best modern success at Purdue has come with an innovative offensive scheme - not exactly Miles' strong suit. I think his name may help the program at first but I don't know how he will do when he's outgunned by OSU, Michigan and others.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /91080632/

For thoroughness I'll drop this here as well. Ron Turner was fired as FIU's coach back in September.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

TUPF wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:Definitely a solid hire, but I hope he doesn't suffer from Toledo syndrome. Sometimes those old established coaches are too ready to rest on their laurels and mail it in. Tedford had some good teams at Cal, with guys like Marshawn Lynch and Shane Vereen. He'll need to be up for a major rebuild with Fresno St.
There's a reason most folks retire in their 60s. There are outliers, sure, and some folks cannot stand to be away from the thrill of the hunt, but I'd say given the financial opportunity the vast majority would (or should) opt to retire. I retired at 60 two months ago and don't miss it one bit, especially after talking with my old office mates. The machine grinds on and there's always someone to replace you. I'd rather die on the beach with a book in one hand and an adult beverage in the other than on the job. :mrgreen: It would be best while streaming Tulane playing for a national championship in a money sport. 8)

+10, TUPF. I retired to the beach 11 years ago and haven't regretted a minute of it. You will find yourself less stressed out, more relaxed, and busier than you have ever been. Even time to think and contemplate everything....a bigger plus than most people imagine.
speckled trout
Navigator Level

Post by speckled trout »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
speckled trout wrote:There are rumors floating around that Purdue might go after Les Miles. This would be a good hire IMO
I've heard the same but I'll challenge you a bit on that. Do you think he'll be able to recruit well to Purdue? And do you think he'll be innovative enough to win there? The best modern success at Purdue has come with an innovative offensive scheme - not exactly Miles' strong suit. I think his name may help the program at first but I don't know how he will do when he's outgunned by OSU, Michigan and others
I think Miles is an excellent recruiter, he'll be able to get talent there. Is he a better recruiter than Harbaugh or Meyer? No, but I think he could have some success there. 8-4 might get you fired at LSU, but I believe Purdue will take it. As far as adapting his style, I agree that he's pretty stubborn and won't make a lot of adjustments.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Butch Davis to FIU. That's a big name hire for them.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... head-coach
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Let us not forget we play FIU next year
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I wonder if the NCAA will allow him to bring in John Blake as DL coach/assistant head coach/bagman. Probably not.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

long green wrote:I wonder if the NCAA will allow him to bring in John Blake as DL coach/assistant head coach/bagman. Probably not.
Don't be ridiculous; of course not. I understand Bohn Jlake is available, though....
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Texas lost to Kansas today. Charlie Strong looked like a coach who knows his future.
Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

OGSB wrote:Texas lost to Kansas today. Charlie Strong looked like a coach who knows his future.
And Texas probably doesn't lose to Kansas unless the players already know his future and have checked out as well.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

OGSB wrote:Texas lost to Kansas today. Charlie Strong looked like a coach who knows his future.
You're right, you could see it on his face. This is probably the worst Texas loss since he arrived. The fact that Strong didn't ask for a review of what appeared to be an interception(?) in the Endzone (is that a reviewable play?) or call a time out.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

The reports of the inevitable Strong firing coming tomorrow are starting to trickle in. Even if "sources" were wrong they're gonna end up right

..."sources" also had Doug Meacham hired as our head coach for the period of about an afternoon.
speckled trout
Navigator Level

Post by speckled trout »

1309th WAVE wrote:The reports of the inevitable Strong firing coming tomorrow are starting to trickle in. Even if "sources" were wrong they're gonna end up right

..."sources" also had Doug Meacham hired as our head coach for the period of about an afternoon.
Yeah... I mean they just lost to freakin Kansas. Not even R-Kansas either..... KANSAS
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Strong gone tonight ... although AD says he will be evaluated after the TCU game Friday.

Well, the evaluation came in Saturday afternoon in Lawrence and let's say he didn't pass. No need to keep him hanging on - he's a gone pecan. Let him resign today and let him coach the TCU game if he wants. Then talk to Herman after their game with Memphis...

Edit: Strong implying he's not been told he's gone. Will coach against TCU and then talk to the AD & President. This is not going well for Texas.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

sr wrote:Strong gone tonight ... although AD says he will be evaluated after the TCU game Friday.

Well, the evaluation came in Saturday afternoon in Lawrence and let's say he didn't pass. No need to keep him hanging on - he's a gone pecan. Let him resign today and let him coach the TCU game if he wants. Then talk to Herman after their game with Memphis...

Edit: Strong implying he's not been told he's gone. Will coach against TCU and then talk to the AD & President. This is not going well for Texas.
I'm sure they've been in contact with Herman's agent for weeks.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Strong doesn't have to resign. He's doing the right thing by saying fire me and pay me. If Texas doesn't have the balls to step up and say the obvious - that they're making a change - they don't deserve a good head coach.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

long green wrote:Strong doesn't have to resign. He's doing the right thing by saying fire me and pay me. If Texas doesn't have the balls to step up and say the obvious - that they're making a change - they don't deserve a good head coach.
Texas will definitely screw this up ...
Someone mentioned that this is similar to Miles '15 - difference being Miles was 9-3, not 5-6.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

sr wrote:
long green wrote:Strong doesn't have to resign. He's doing the right thing by saying fire me and pay me. If Texas doesn't have the balls to step up and say the obvious - that they're making a change - they don't deserve a good head coach.
Texas will definitely screw this up ...
Someone mentioned that this is similar to Miles '15 - difference being Miles was 9-3, not 5-6.
Whatever would make you say that? They handled the baseball coach situation so well!! 8)
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

"Baylor: Baylor is zeroing in on SMU’s Chad Morris to be its next head coach, sources tell FootballScoop."

there now.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy