Coaching Carousel 2021-22 (the Delta Variant)

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: Coaching Carousel 2021-22 (the Delta Variant)

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I haven't seen it here, but Jay Norvell leaving Nevada for Colorado St. On surface level it's unusual for a head coach to leave one G5 for another G5 in the same league. In practice, Nevada was paying him like 600k for taking an under resourced program to bowls most years. I have high regard for him as a coach and think he'll do well at CSU where he'll have more resources and commitment to work with.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

That's a very good hire for CSU.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Reports that Memphis DC McIntyre going to fiu
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Grambling hired former Raiders and Browns coach, Hue Jackson. Interesting
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Virginia hires Clemson OC Tony Elliott as head coach
Victory is never permanent
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Oregon hires Georgia DC Dan Lanning.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

It feels like there are a lot more than usual "really good at X" teams losing their "X" coordinators to head gigs this year.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

One name that won’t be raised as a potential replacement. Randy sanders announced his retirement after taking ETSU to playoffs. Only 56, so perhaps he would “unretire’ in the future
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Urban Meyer now available lol
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:17 am Urban Meyer now available lol
I thought it was really interesting that his firing (which seems to have been in the works for a while) waited until after all the big college jobs had been filled.

With the way he went out in Jacksonville it will be interesting to see how much "cooling down period" is needed before he's behind a desk doing commentary.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:20 am
krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:17 am Urban Meyer now available lol
I thought it was really interesting that his firing (which seems to have been in the works for a while) waited until after all the big college jobs had been filled.

With the way he went out in Jacksonville it will be interesting to see how much "cooling down period" is needed before he's behind a desk doing commentary.
I'm sure he'll take some time to deal with whatever health issue he says he's dealing with... maybe hit up some happy hours at a local Applebee's
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:33 am

I'm sure he'll take some time to deal with whatever health issue he says he's dealing with... maybe hit up some happy hours at a local Applebee's
Fancy
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

14 days until the playoffs......
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

MattK wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:16 am

I'm sure he'll have his hand in there at some point
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

The Great Grinding Upon has changed things for Urban. No one can pretend now he's anything other than what I and you and most of us always knew he was. He can get another college job for sure, as long as he has the sense to never turn his phone on again. Meanwhile, he can go work at Barstool.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I told my UC coworker today that at least he's safe with Fickell because if the Bears hire Ryan Day in January, Ohio State can just rehire Meyer instead of stealing Fickell from UC. :lol:

Of course I also told him that if OSU does steal Fickell, at least Urban Meyer is available for them to hire. Hey, he once coached at my high school and Herbstreit's kid goes there now so he'd have "friends in town"... 8)
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:04 pm
MattK wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:16 am

I'm sure he'll have his hand in there at some point
Lol
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:25 pm I told my UC coworker today that at least he's safe with Fickell because if the Bears hire Ryan Day in January, Ohio State can just rehire Meyer instead of stealing Fickell from UC. :lol:

Of course I also told him that if OSU does steal Fickell, at least Urban Meyer is available for them to hire. Hey, he once coached at my high school and Herbstreit's kid goes there now so he'd have "friends in town"... 8)
How close is the nearest bar?
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but there is talk up here in East Tennessee about Jeff Fischer being considered for head coaching position at East Tennessee State University. He would take over a pretty strong program. Does not have any college coaching experience (hmm, where have I heard that issue before?).
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Post by Johnny4 »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:40 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:25 pm I told my UC coworker today that at least he's safe with Fickell because if the Bears hire Ryan Day in January, Ohio State can just rehire Meyer instead of stealing Fickell from UC. :lol:

How close is the nearest bar?
:lol:
https://urbanspinthouse.com/
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Looks like Timmy Chang is not in his right mind.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Sophandros wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:43 pm Looks like Timmy Chang is not in his right mind.
Interesting. June Jones was his coach at Hawaii. Wonder if they talked?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Timmy Chang took the job straight out of being a wide receivers coach at Nevada. That says something about where Hawaii was in their hiring situation (in terms of who was listening).

But hey, Chang was once the OC at Emory & Henry (which I've literally never heard of) and before that was the OC at Jackson State (I'm guessing that didn't go well since he quickly ended up at E&H). So I guess he has a little experience above the "position coach" level.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:58 pm Timmy Chang took the job straight out of being a wide receivers coach at Nevada. That says something about where Hawaii was in their hiring situation (in terms of who was listening).

But hey, Chang was once the OC at Emory & Henry (which I've literally never heard of) and before that was the OC at Jackson State (I'm guessing that didn't go well since he quickly ended up at E&H). So I guess he has a little experience above the "position coach" level.
Emory and Henry is a small private school in my neck of the woods. It's just across the border in Abingdon VA. I had a cousin play softball and get her undergrad degree there. Think they were d3, May be d2 now. I had no idea Timmy Chang was coaching there.