2017 Coaching Carousel Thread

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

ml wave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:If Kiffin didn't get a HC gig he would have gone to LSU. No doubt. Saban even commented before sec championship that he knew he had to look for an OC. LSU's hubris however was in thinking he wouldn't get a HC job. In reality he had his choice of several (UH, USF, and WKU at the least)
Not sure how their alleged misreading of his HC job prospects equates to hubris. Unless they thought he'd rather be their OC than a HC somewhere else...I'd buy that.
That was my entire point; LoSer-U is arrogant enough to think being their offensive coordinator is a better gig than being HC somewhere else.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

on the Dan Patrick Radio Show this morning they took it as gospel that, since the Big 12 didn't expand and take them, Houston was doomed to stay in the G-5. As in "that's it, if they can't make it now, they'll never get an invite". Not saying I believe that, simply how national media perceives Houston.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

GretnaGrn wrote:
ml wave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:If Kiffin didn't get a HC gig he would have gone to LSU. No doubt. Saban even commented before sec championship that he knew he had to look for an OC. LSU's hubris however was in thinking he wouldn't get a HC job. In reality he had his choice of several (UH, USF, and WKU at the least)
Not sure how their alleged misreading of his HC job prospects equates to hubris. Unless they thought he'd rather be their OC than a HC somewhere else...I'd buy that.
That was my entire point; LoSer-U is arrogant enough to think being their offensive coordinator is a better gig than being HC somewhere else.
Maybe so, but that's not the same thing as "thinking he wouldn't get a HC job".
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Applewhite to be UofH's Head Coach - as reported by Texas' 247 site.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

sr wrote:Applewhite to be UofH's Head Coach - as reported by Texas' 247 site.
ESPN reporting as well... I guess Houston sobered up and realized they were about to sleep with a hag (Lane Kiffin)
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

So is the assumption now that Kiffin will take the LSU OC job and they'll act like it was destined all along?

Just curious, why wouldn't Alabama re-sign him? I'm sure they pay as much or more than LSU... and their offense has been decent enough under him.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:So is the assumption now that Kiffin will take the LSU OC job and they'll act like it was destined all along?

Just curious, why wouldn't Alabama re-sign him? I'm sure they pay as much or more than LSU... and their offense has been decent enough under him.
Offense has been more than decent...guessing it's a mutual ego/personality thing between he and Saban.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

USF is said to be hot for Charlie Strong, which would apparently clear the way for lsu.
Victory is never permanent
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Kiffin has issues with people and possibly with himself but I'd hire him over both Applewhite & Strong.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Perhaps like in Hollywood, Kiffin is a "difficult" star whose self-esteem can only be serviced at a "major" studio and not an independent one or so he thinks. Meanwhile the studio moguls can't live with him or without him and there's always another one saying, "This time will be different because he has such star quality......" as he joins his latest employer.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

sr wrote:Applewhite to be UofH's Head Coach - as reported by Texas' 247 site.
Since Applewhite went to Catholic in BR, I'm happy to see a home state guy climb the greasy pole. He has been a good assistant. No clue how he'll do as HC.
long green
Cornerstone

At the start of the process I'd have guessed that UH would go with DC Todd Orlando if they wanted to keep things in house. Since they're probably going a bit cheap either way they could have given Orlando a lot of $ to find the best young OC he could get.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

There's that high school thing again. :lol: :razz:

Maybe because I've led such a nomadic life I am clueless.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
long green
Cornerstone

Only applies if Baywave went to Catholic High. If he didn't, it's just good old-fashioned state pride, which even nomads must recognize.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

long green wrote:Only applies if Baywave went to Catholic High. If he didn't, it's just good old-fashioned state pride, which even nomads must recognize.
Then I must be broken. Four high schools in two countries will do that. Call it envy. 8)
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Unread post by LawGreenie »

Kiffin has done well at Bama because Saban keeps him in line and away from his on and off field demons.

Maybe I'm totally off base, but I don't see O running a buttoned up program.

The Applewhite hire seems weak for UH.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

LawGreenie wrote:Kiffin has done well at Bama because Saban keeps him in line and away from his on and off field demons.

... seems weak and cheap. UH probably saved a few bucks with this hire.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

sr wrote:
LawGreenie wrote:Kiffin has done well at Bama because Saban keeps him in line and away from his on and off field demons.

... seems weak and cheap. UH probably saved a few bucks with this hire.
I don't agree. He has been an OC for 5 years at Texas and Alabama before Houston. Basically the same amount of OC experience as Herman before he got the gig. Why was it weak for them to promote their OC?
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
long green wrote:Only applies if Baywave went to Catholic High. If he didn't, it's just good old-fashioned state pride, which even nomads must recognize.
Then I must be broken. Four high schools in two countries will do that. Call it envy. 8)
Nah, Catholic League alum in New Orleans. But Catholic High does seem to play so much against them, it ought to be an honorary member. LG is right. Just state pride.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Baywave1 wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Nah, Catholic League alum in New Orleans. But Catholic High does seem to play so much against them, it ought to be an honorary member. LG is right. Just state pride.
I don't know how weak it is but it has a whiff of 'this guy might stay' about it for some reason.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

There's even a story out saying Kiffin believed he had the job right up until Applewhite was announced.
long green
Cornerstone

Applewhite's OC record isn't as strong as some people think. He had that good year at Rice under Todd Graham but his work at Texas as OC was in the blah last years of Mack Brown. And who ran the show at Houston, anyway? He should be ready to run his own program but I don't see where he is more qualified to do so than Todd Orlando or Lincoln Riley. Applewhite would have been a fourth choice for me at best. As far as "this guy might stay" let him win 18 or so regular season games in his first two years and see what happens there.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Unread post by 1309th WAVE »

I guess this was a deliberate move to avoid hiring another coaching mercenary. Applewhite's name doesn't have as much upward mobility in coaching (subject to change, as everything is), so if he leads UH to a couple 8+ wins he's somewhat less likely to cut bait for a P5 job. Or at least it looks that way, which isn't the worst thing in the world. At least Tom left Houston better than he found it. Wasn't one of the final straws in Levine's tenure that they lost to us?

What if Herman mirrors Strong's 3 year record and Applewhite leads UH to back to back AAC titles though? 8)
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Will be interested to see what the contract looks like. Houston was seeking a massive buyout for its next coach. It could be that Applewhite would agree to it while Kiffin, Orlando, and Riley balked. That's not a great reason to choose a coach but it would explain why they went the way they did.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Will be interested to see what the contract looks like. Houston was seeking a massive buyout for its next coach. It could be that Applewhite would agree to it while Kiffin, Orlando, and Riley balked. That's not a great reason to choose a coach but it would explain why they went the way they did.
Well let's see, I get a 4x or more raise right now plus a promotion to a football program running on all cylinders and I have no opportunity for a similar promotion to a comparable college this year. I'd agree to the Buyout and in a worst case I'm successful and still HC at Houston. In a worst case, they can't afford to fire me (remember buyout goes both ways) and I'm still HC at Houston.