Memphis charged by NCAA with violations…

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
doc
President's Circle

Memphis charged by NCAA with violations…

Post by doc »

4 level one and 2 level 2 violations- no surprise here / Apparently one of the defenses Memphis made to the NCAA was that Penny had never been a D1 head coach before.

Their assistant basketball coach and recruiter, Cody Toppert, is probably leaving for LSU.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Re: Memphis charged by NCAA with violations…

Post by NJwave »

Penny really did learn everything from Larry Brown.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

The story I saw said apparently one of the Level 1 charges was so serious that it's description was redacted in the report. :shock: I don't even know where to go with that one.

But let's just say my only surprise at this story is that the NCAA actually cares and that they acted so (relatively, especially for them) quickly. The whole story when he was hired about how he was this legend who would bring great recruits from the start just struck me as baloney because today's recruits weren't born when he was a star, and he never did TV to keep his name relevant with kids after his playing days (like Shaq, for instance). He had to be cheating to recruit like that.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Before becoming the Memphis HC, I believe Penny was the HC a at Memphis East HS. Apparently Penny paid James Wiseman and his family $15,000 to move from Nashville to Memphis. Wiseman subsequently followed Penny to the Memphis Tigers, but the NCAA found him to be ineligible after only 4 games. I believe the Wiseman affair is one of the Level 1 charges. I apologize if some of the details I posted are slightly inaccurate. I am posting this info from memory.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

doc wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:29 am Before becoming the Memphis HC, I believe Penny was the HC a at Memphis East HS. Apparently Penny paid James Wiseman and his family $15,000 to move from Nashville to Memphis. Wiseman subsequently followed Penny to the Memphis Tigers, but the NCAA found him to be ineligible after only 4 games. I believe the Wiseman affair is one of the Level 1 charges. I apologize if some of the details I posted are slightly inaccurate. I am posting this info from memory.
Crazy to me if the NCAA is charging him with stuff done before he was employed at Memphis. Maybe they're not, I'm sure there's plenty of things he did later, but still.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

I believe the reason the Wiseman case is relevant is that Penny at the time was a Memphis Tiger booster who gave Wiseman financial aid.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

doc wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:47 am I believe the reason the Wiseman case is relevant is that Penny at the time was a Memphis Tiger booster who gave Wiseman financial aid.
So he was a Memphis booster who gave a HS student aid to help him move to play HS ball, nothing to do with Memphis...the NCAA is so dumb sometimes.