D'Eriq King to sit out and redshirt?

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Re: D'Eriq King to sit out and redshirt?

Post by Poseidon »

wavedom wrote:It's a save the face situation. It was initiated by KIng and his father.
long green wrote:I think the King redshirting angle is a cover story to save face for Holgorsen and Fertitta in the short term. Maybe King will come back. It’s very possible he does not. Then the crap hits the fan.
The season was far from over. Though they had 3 losses only the one to us was in conference. Considering it was us(@ a decent team) they were still perfectly capable of winning the west going 7-1 or 6-2. They then win the CCG game and their bowl they finish 11-3 or 10-4. That was still in play. Any pretensions that it wasn't is a statement about were they are as a program(not good).
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Well Pete did call it by predicting the reaction of the graduating seniors.

Yes, Fritz does lead by example. He emphasizes character is what he looks at first in evaluating a recruit. I bet Mom, Dad and player can safely apply that same first test to Fritz.

Finally it's awesome to be a Wave fan where Tulane does have a team willing to run through walls for its coaches.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

I met some young men at the Auburn game who played for Coach Fritz at GSU. They work in Atlanta now, and came to support the Wave. They had all bought TU gear and were happy to come cheer on a team coached by a guy who last coached them five years ago.

That speaks volumes to me.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Sophandros wrote:I met some young men at the Auburn game who played for Coach Fritz at GSU. They work in Atlanta now, and came to support the Wave. They had all bought TU gear and were happy to come cheer on a team coached by a guy who last coached them five years ago.

That speaks volumes to me.
:king: :smartass: :thumbsup:
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

MattK wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Since the whole "4 games before redshirting" thing has gone off the sensible tracks into la-la land, here's a question: why couldn't Tune play 4 games and then also redshirt (since they've already thrown away the season), let their 3rd string guy play the rest, and then Tune saves another year as well? In other words, if you're gonna throw away a season, why not go all-in on it?

(disclaimer: I have not looked to see if Tune already redshirted and whether that's possible, so if he did, just consider this a hypothetical)
this was brought up on the Houston forum too....

I imagine it would cause a re-thinking of that rule change.
Say what??
CollegeFootballTalk : NCAA committee chair hints at changes coming to four-game redshirt rule
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... hirt-rule/
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

The transfer rule is a great rule. The 4 game redshirt rule is (at least) a very good rule. Put in tandem, they make for some very bad results that should, in fact, be addressed. I don't know how to fix it, but I'm not mad (yet) that they are looking at it. The devil will be in the details.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:The transfer rule is a great rule. The 4 game redshirt rule is (at least) a very good rule. Put in tandem, they make for some very bad results that should, in fact, be addressed. I don't know how to fix it, but I'm not mad (yet) that they are looking at it. The devil will be in the details.
I don't mind it. I think it balances out things for those like it McClesky and Kelly Bryant to provide a recourse to those who are told lies by their coaches that they will get PT only to have the season come and they are on the sideline. More specifically the "we are having a competition at that position" crap they are told just to string them out to the start of season so they can't evaluate their options and transfer if needs be before then. What needs to be changed is the transfer waver thing for non graduates. It is completely out of control and illogical.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Saw an article where he posted on Twitter that he intends to enter his name into the portal... shocking
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:Saw an article where he posted on Twitter that he intends to enter his name into the portal... shocking
Glad you used the pink. It matters.

Meanwhile Holgorsen gets the too cute by half award. Just another reminder that from LSU and Bama to UH to Tulane to whichever, virtually all BCS schools have major QB transfer issues. When two of the four CFP finalists were using grad transfer QBs, it's only going to happen more in the future.

So as messy as the Duffey situation was, I'm cutting Willie total slack and just putting faith that he will always work the problem harder than his peers. May he get the results he (and we) deserve.

In the case of King, I wish him well and just disappointed that the way Holgersen managed this, the conference will almost certainly lose a premier player.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

We all knew this was coming.

My suspicion was that he was going to transfer the minute Applewhite was let go (and with Ed Oliver heading to the NFL, he knew they'd have a drop off), but was convinced to stay since Holgerson was a "big name" and probably talked a good game... and possibly there was some convincing by Holgerson's buddy Fertitta too. But after they started 1-3, King was like, "yeah, I can get out now and still get this year back". He must be a good guy since he was willing to spin it like he was in agreement with the coaches and would actually return, just for the narrative to look better for UH.

Did he really keep practicing with the team? I would love to hear the behind-the-scenes dirt on how this year's Seniors treated him after he "decided to redshirt". No way that went over well.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Irony would be if he came to Tulane and threw for 500 yards next year
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:Irony would be if he came to Tulane and threw for 500 yards next year
Of course, but no way King is looking at anything short of "major P5". He might not get that, but he'll be at a P5 for sure.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:Irony would be if he came to Tulane and threw for 500 yards next year
Of course, but no way King is looking at anything short of "major P5". He might not get that, but he'll be at a P5 for sure.
Kansas? Lol
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

PeteRasche wrote:We all knew this was coming.

My suspicion was that he was going to transfer the minute Applewhite was let go (and with Ed Oliver heading to the NFL, he knew they'd have a drop off), but was convinced to stay since Holgerson was a "big name" and probably talked a good game... and possibly there was some convincing by Holgerson's buddy Fertitta too. But after they started 1-3, King was like, "yeah, I can get out now and still get this year back". He must be a good guy since he was willing to spin it like he was in agreement with the coaches and would actually return, just for the narrative to look better for UH.

Did he really keep practicing with the team? I would love to hear the behind-the-scenes dirt on how this year's Seniors treated him after he "decided to redshirt". No way that went over well.

perhaps Fertitta made a 'strong a$$ offer'?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

The while “redshirt and come back” story was hatched to protect Fertitta more than Holgorsen. Everyone always knew what was coming. As I said when King first walked away I bet some other big UH boosters are going to tell Fertitta “if this keeps going south you’re on the hook for the buyout.”
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

Per The Athletic King to Miami. Behind a paywall. https://theathletic.com/1545174/2020/01 ... -to-miami/
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

OK. Calling FW or anyone familiar with Miami. King gives them six scholarship QBs including Williams, the starter last season. Who will depart and should Fritz be interested?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... enior-year
The soon-to-be fifth-year senior considered multiple Power 5 conference programs in his swift process, including Arkansas, LSU and Maryland. He joins a Miami team that has three underclassmen at quarterback currently on its depth chart: redshirt freshman Jarren Williams (10 starts in 2019), redshirt sophomore N'Kosi Perry and redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, a transfer from Ohio State.
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Post by Johnny4 »

Tate Martell would be awesome in our offense. He looked really good in mop up duty for Ohio State in 2018.

Passing: 23/28 82.1% 269 yds 1 TD
Rushing: 22 car 128 yds 2 TD

I was surprised he was beat out at Miami. We expected him to be pretty good for the Buckeyes before Fields transferred in. Not sure he'd be able to get another transfer waiver though and he's already burned his red shirt.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Baywave1 wrote:OK. Calling FW or anyone familiar with Miami. King gives them six scholarship QBs including Williams, the starter last season. Who will depart and should Fritz be interested?
My guess is Jarren Williams is the first to leave. He had one foot out the door after 2018, before Diaz convinced him to come back. He would not fit in our offense. The next would be Perry, but he’s already redshirted and I think he’d stay and then grad transfer. Martell would fit in our offense, but he played WR half of last year and supposedly really likes Miami. The other QB redshirted as a freshmen last year. He was Payton Matocha who Tulane recruited. He’ll never see the field at Miami. The 5th is Tyler van Dyke, a high 4-star who just enrolled, and was seen as the QB of the future. Not sure if he fits Lashlee’s offense. The 6th is King.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

FW wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:OK. Calling FW or anyone familiar with Miami. King gives them six scholarship QBs including Williams, the starter last season. Who will depart and should Fritz be interested?
My guess is Jarren Williams is the first to leave. He had one foot out the door after 2018, before Diaz convinced him to come back. He would not fit in our offense. The next would be Perry, but he’s already redshirted and I think he’d stay and then grad transfer. Martell would fit in our offense, but he played WR half of last year and supposedly really likes Miami. The other QB redshirted as a freshmen last year. He was Payton Matocha who Tulane recruited. He’ll never see the field at Miami. The 5th is Tyler van Dyke, a high 4-star who just enrolled, and was seen as the QB of the future. Not sure if he fits Lashlee’s offense. The 6th is King.
Thanks
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Post by Johnny4 »

FW wrote:
Nice analysis!
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

FW wrote:
Not sure if it was before or after this post but I just checked the portal and Jarren Williams is in there
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I don't know why but my chrome new tab "suggested" stories popped up the story about Williams:
https://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/coll ... 74508.html
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
FW wrote:
Not sure if it was before or after this post but I just checked the portal and Jarren Williams is in there
I made the post before, but it was obvious he was going. He had some great games, like against FSU and he broke the school’s record for TDs in a game against Louisville (6). He also doesn’t fit Hall’s offense and has issues. He failed multiple drug tests, he was out partying the night before the FIU and Pitt games. He walked out on practice on multiple occasions.