Why USF is a CFP Sleeper in 2018

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Why USF is a CFP Sleeper in 2018

Post by WaveProf »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/in ... eeper-2017

You won't get far (just two paragraphs) unless you are an ESPN "insider" (I'm not). But i thought this was interesting to see as the #2 story on the ESPN college football page.....
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Why USF is a CFP Sleeper in 2018

Post by PeteRasche »

Offseason clickbait to give people something to talk about.
Ask Houston about expectations to be the first G5 to make the CFP. How'd that work out?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I agree with this until you make your Houston comment. It worked out quite well for them inasmuch as it looked like they'd actually get in if they ran the table. Then they lost two games......

But the difference between Houston and USF is they had one killer season the year before to get on the CFP's radar BEFORE the year they were supposed to "do it". Boise proved this in terms of BCS bowl games back in the day too. Small schools can crack the uncrackable, but it takes 2 undefeated seasons in a row, not 1. 1 to get considered, 2 to get taken.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

What I meant by that was Houston failed. Be it overwhelming pressure of expectations, complete mental deflation after not getting in the Big 12, whatever, they were the "chosen one" and didn't live up to it. What I'm saying is if I were a betting man, I'd bet a lot of money USF doesn't go undefeated.

Your second point is valid, though. No way USF goes to the CFP (much harder to do than just making a BCS Bowl in Boise's heyday) without having been undefeated and highly-ranked this past year. And if they go undefeated this coming year somehow, their coach will get snapped up by some P5 school and they'll take a step back anyway.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

They were 11-2 last year. They ended the year ranked 19. Their old head coach is at Oregon. Their new head coach is from Texas. It's not like this is an off-the-radar team. Now, of course they need to go undefeated, but how many teams did that last year?

All that said, their real problem is going to be their OOC schedule. Stony Brook, UMass, San Jose St, and Illinois? Wow. Had Houston run the table last year, they would have had wins over Oklahoma and Louisville (well, they did win those anyway, but faltered against lesser teams) to boost their resume.

Not happening.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I completely agree with all your points, gerry, but sadly I think 11-2 and 19th last year still won't put them in CFP contention this year if they go undefeated. Their OOC is, as you said, utterly prohibitive, but to jump from where they'll start the year up to the top 2, it would virtually need to have an Alabama or Ohio State upset included.

Question I sadly don't even know the answer to: did Tulane even get a single poll vote (much less a ranking) in preseason 1999, after finishing at #7 in 1998?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:I completely agree with all your points, gerry, but sadly I think 11-2 and 19th last year still won't put them in CFP contention this year if they go undefeated. Their OOC is, as you said, utterly prohibitive, but to jump from where they'll start the year up to the top 2, it would virtually need to have an Alabama or Ohio State upset included.

Question I sadly don't even know the answer to: did Tulane even get a single poll vote (much less a ranking) in preseason 1999, after finishing at #7 in 1998?
We got 2 votes in the ESPN USA Today poll. We did not get an AP vote. Of course, we had lost a lot (as evidenced by 3-8 that year), so yeah.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote:I completely agree with all your points, gerry, but sadly I think 11-2 and 19th last year still won't put them in CFP contention this year if they go undefeated. Their OOC is, as you said, utterly prohibitive, but to jump from where they'll start the year up to the top 2, it would virtually need to have an Alabama or Ohio State upset included.

The loss to Tulane will keep them out.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Rider. TU won't play them this year. Mark my words. Hurricane evacuation. Lightning. Something. The universe always has found a way to prevent the two from meeting even though it's the third time we've been conference mates
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

WaveProf wrote:Rider. TU won't play them this year. Mark my words. Hurricane evacuation. Lightning. Something. The universe always has found a way to prevent the two from meeting even though it's the third time we've been conference mates
Bah; just means we're due to play them twice. :twisted: