SBN: SMU Went through Hell and Back to Become MBB Contender

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
WaveProf
Cornerstone

SBN: SMU Went through Hell and Back to Become MBB Contender

Post by WaveProf »

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: SBN: SMU Went through Hell and Back to Become MBB Conten

Post by PeteRasche »

"Hell"... "a Larry Brown coaching stint and subsequent punishment for his cheating"... call it what you will...
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

PeteRasche wrote:"Hell"... "a Larry Brown coaching stint and subsequent punishment for his cheating"... call it what you will...
so you're saying a better headline would be "SMU chose to go through Hell and Back to become MBB Contender"?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

How many big time programs cheated like crazy, won big, got caught and penalized, but continued (after perhaps a short punishment period) to perform at the higher level to which the cheating took them? Probably most of them, right? Seems like the one that took the hardest fall and has never completely gotten back is (coincidentally) SMU football... correct me if I'm wrong, but also the last non-self-imposed (*cough*cough* :oops: ) death penalty, no? Doesn't it seem to imply that now that the NCAA has gotten gun-shy about handing out penalties which are too crippling, it pays off to cheat?

Almost every consistent top-5-to-10 football and basketball program - note I said ALMOST, you nit-pickers - has had a major cheating scandal either on their way to the top, or once they were at the top, haven't they?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:How many big time programs cheated like crazy, won big, got caught and penalized, but continued (after perhaps a short punishment period) to perform at the higher level to which the cheating took them? Probably most of them, right? Seems like the one that took the hardest fall and has never completely gotten back is (coincidentally) SMU football... correct me if I'm wrong, but also the last non-self-imposed (*cough*cough* :oops: ) death penalty, no? Doesn't it seem to imply that now that the NCAA has gotten gun-shy about handing out penalties which are too crippling, it pays off to cheat?

Almost every consistent top-5-to-10 football and basketball program - note I said ALMOST, you nit-pickers - has had a major cheating scandal either on their way to the top, or once they were at the top, haven't they?
Yes, college sports are corrupt. All (or nearly all) teams "cheat" in some way, shape, or form...especially at the top. The NCAA's arbitrary sentences and lack of subpoena power have rendered its enforcement efforts virtually impotent.