Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane talk forum
It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:02 pm 
Regent's Circle

If you attempt to view YOGWF.com and receive the screen "You are banned" take a deep breath. It is almost certain; you are not banned. The most likely reason you are receiving the "Banned" screen is you are using a banned IP address.

Are you using the Internet away from your home or work? Are you traveling, especially outside of the U.S.? This is the reason for receiving the notice.

99% of the spammers & potential hackers attempt to register or work their mayhem from IPs outside the U.S. At one point, we were deleting 200 fake registrations per day. Unfortunately, the list of countries has grown beyond the usual suspects (China, Russia, India, the former Eastern Block) to the Netherlands, France, and even Canadian IPs. Reporting abuse in the U.S. is a joke; anything outside the U.S. is beyond a wish.

If you are a regular poster or a lurker planning to travel outside the States, email me and we can work around the blocks. If you are already traveling and receive the "Banned" screen, please email me and I will un-ban the IP# (This is probably moot since you could not see this page).

To identify your IP#, click on this link -

Identify your current IP#

The BEST way to prevent this from occurring is to use or install a VPN (Virtual Private Network) on you phone, tablet, pad or laptop. It is ideal to have a VPN on all devices.

What is a VPN and what does it do?
The Article is from 2014. The VPN company List at the end of the article has been updated.

Viewing YOGWF unimpeded while cruising the Danube with fellow alumni is important. However, the security issues prevented by using a VPN are considerable. Plus there are bonuses.
Guide to Streaming Blocked Content

A free VPN is better than no VPN. Sometimes "free" means there are limitations - the selection of countries, speed, limits on devices, monthly usage restrictions. Pay VPN services usually do not have these boundaries.

Cyberghost is a Free VPN for Windows, Mac & Android

Tunnelbear is a Free VPN for 500 mbs per month for IOS, Android, Mac, Windows & Chrome

HotspotShield is an unlimited free VPN (US only for Free) for IOS, Android, Windows Phone, Mac, Windows, FireFox & Chrome

Opera web browser releases a Free & Unlimited VPN for iPhone
It is not "perfect" but it is free.

Check out That One Privacy Site if you want a detailed, sometimes very technical listing of all VPNs (free & pay)

Good VPN services go on sale often. I paid $20 for a 2-year premium plan with Private Internet Access VPN, One of the highest-rated.

You can find VPNs on sale at https://stacksocial.com. Search VPN. And research the company's ratings & customer comments.

Hopefully, if folks read this, we can prevent problems and lower consternation.

ROLL WAVE!

JtS Email

#PRAY4DEVON
http://bit.ly/SupportDevonWalker

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:04 am 
Regent's Circle

Thanks for this incredibly timely update. Yes, I was banned last summer when I was in the UK; Ireland did not stop me, but the Grosvenor in London did.

Going on a Caribbean cruise next week; the Disney Fantasy IP address did not cause problems the last two times I was on it, but who knows. Will try adding your email address to my list (so if you get an email in the next few days, you'll know why)

CRM

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:29 am 
Regent's Circle

I did see this when I was in Ukraine a few years ago (and you are VERY wise to block Ukranian IPs). Fortunately, I figured it out, but it's good to have the message out there for folks to see, especially with vacation season coming upon us.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:48 am 
Emerald Circle

Just got back from a trip to Europe. Curiously, I was able to access YOGWF from Bavaria but was "banned" in Heathrow airport.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:05 am 
Cornerstone

TUPF wrote:
Just got back from a trip to Europe. Curiously, I was able to access YOGWF from Bavaria but was "banned" in Heathrow airport.
You probably looked like a terrorist to the Brits.
:twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:37 am 
Regent's Circle

[quote="Roller"][quote="TUPF"]Just got back from a trip to Europe. Curiously, I was able to access YOGWF from Bavaria but was "banned" in Heathrow airport.[/quote]You probably looked like a terrorist to the Brits.
:twisted:[/quote]
Nope; they Brexited from YOGWF....