Students call to abolish TUPD

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Students call to abolish TUPD

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

https://tulanehullabaloo.com/53872/news ... lish-tupd/

Hulabaloo article about a protest a few days ago. I have two questions

1. Doesn't a gathering of this size violate the school's rules on large gatherings?

2. Who do they expect to respond when someone pushes the button on a blue beacon on campus?

I'll just say this - as a former worker for housing (RA and HSC), I really appreciated being to fall back on TUPD for certain situations. In my three years working in housing I dealt with a student ODing and having psychotic episodes while on drugs, a domestic dispute between two young ladies involving a broken beer bottle used as a sharp-edged weapon, and a serious case of a young lady being harassed and stalked by an ex. There is no way I would've been comfortable handling these scenarios as a minimally trained housing worker.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Students call to abolish TUPD

Post by PeteRasche »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:40 pm https://tulanehullabaloo.com/53872/news ... lish-tupd/

Hulabaloo article about a protest a few days ago. I have two questions

1. Doesn't a gathering of this size violate the school's rules on large gatherings?

2. Who do they expect to respond when someone pushes the button on a blue beacon on campus?

I'll just say this - as a former worker for housing (RA and HSC), I really appreciated being to fall back on TUPD for certain situations. In my three years working in housing I dealt with a student ODing and having psychotic episodes while on drugs, a domestic dispute between two young ladies involving a broken beer bottle used as a sharp-edged weapon, and a serious case of a young lady being harassed and stalked by an ex. There is no way I would've been comfortable handling these scenarios as a minimally trained housing worker.
Well there's basically no way this thread doesn't become political because this is a purely political (idealogical) issue... but I totally agree with you, outlaw, that an RA or ARD should not be responsible for resolving life-threatening issues that you mention, and I certainly don't think their only option should be to call an on-staff psychologist to come handle the issue rather than a police officer. And I'll just leave it at that.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Reading the article it appears to me that calling for the abolishment of TUPD is a proxy for the larger protests we are all aware of. Unless there have been some documented abuses by TUPD and without further information I’d say this is a misguided proxy fight. A thousand years ago when I was a student TUPD was pretty much invisible.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:50 pm A thousand years ago when I was a student TUPD was pretty much invisible.
A hundred years ago when I was a student :mrgreen: :mrgreen: the officers were almost always around but super-friendly and lots of students knew lots of them by name.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:18 pm
TUPF wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:50 pm A thousand years ago when I was a student TUPD was pretty much invisible.
A hundred years ago when I was a student :mrgreen: :mrgreen: the officers were almost always around but super-friendly and lots of students knew lots of them by name.
:wink: Also remember that during the mid to late 70s the drinking age was 18. We had free tequila nights in the Rat; think a giant table lined up with shots, salt, and lime wedges. We had student active fee bought kegs on the UC Quad on Friday afternoons. Every frat had there own legal bars and even my NROTC unit put on epic shipwreck parties fueled by trash can punch. So there was not that whole policing for underage drinking function of campus police. I guess they were around but it was probably just to keep us from doing anything REALLY stupid instead of just drunk student stupid.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:19 pm
:wink: Also remember that during the mid to late 70s the drinking age was 18. We had free tequila nights in the Rat; think a giant table lined up with shots, salt, and lime wedges. We had student active fee bought kegs on the UC Quad on Friday afternoons. Every frat had there own legal bars and even my NROTC unit put on epic shipwreck parties fueled by trash can punch. So there was not that whole policing for underage drinking function of campus police. I guess they were around but it was probably just to keep us from doing anything REALLY stupid instead of just drunk student stupid.
The drinking age was still 18 in my day and we had some of that stuff too... And still had no issues with TUPD.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:16 pm
TUPF wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:19 pm
The drinking age was still 18 in my day and we had some of that stuff too... And still had no issues with TUPD.
I can confirm for a fact that even the Chess and Gaming Club spent club dues on booze. :lol:

Also, add me to the list that never had an issue with TUPD. Those students are misguided on multiple levels, and obviously don't realize the difference it would make having NOPD responding to on-campus issues rather than TUPD. They would be in for a very, very rude awakening if that happened on every level....
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

The intelligence and ability to process logical thoughts of our student body has diminished greatly
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

Well, Windy, we might be giving ourselves a little too much credit. But I do agree about the folly of abolishing the TUPD.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:27 pm The intelligence and ability to process logical thoughts of our student body has diminished greatly
Scott Cowen's crusade to turn Tulane into a Social Justice stronghold obviously means greater numbers of "woke" students. 'Nuff said.