Victory Bell Removed. Most likely permanent.

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Victory Bell Removed. Most likely permanent.

Post by gerryb323 »

Roller wrote:
ml wave wrote:I don't think the ringing of the bell to denote waking up, starting/ending work (to use your example) was just some sort of suggestion? That pretty clearly falls under the guise of "to direct movements of enslaved people". And time for breaks, lol...yeah, the slave union would be in an uproar if that didn't happen.
No, I think the movements of the save were dictated by the overseers, not some coded bell "message." I think the bell was there to signal to the family and the employees that "lunch is on the table." Of course, that notification was understood by everyone on the plantation. But I strongly doubt that the intention was to tell the slaves in the cotton patch to go pick beets.
Well, you'd be wrong

http://randomthoughtsonhistory.blogspot ... s.html?m=1
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I can, and have, argued both sides of this. I’m not passionate either way. But the definition of a bad look is a white guy insisting the bell means nothing and telling black athletes they need to enthusiastically ring it to celebrate a victory, and that if they can’t do that, that it’s because they don’t “understand”
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Roller wrote:No, I think the movements of the save were dictated by the overseers, not some coded bell "message." I think the bell was there to signal to the family and the employees that "lunch is on the table."
As someone who actually took a college level course on the antebellum south and another on the civil war, I’m just going to go ahead and say that your wrong. Most plantations famously used a bell to direct all slave actions.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

gerryb323 wrote:
Roller wrote:
ml wave wrote:I don't think the ringing of the bell to denote waking up, starting/ending work (to use your example) was just some sort of suggestion? That pretty clearly falls under the guise of "to direct movements of enslaved people". And time for breaks, lol...yeah, the slave union would be in an uproar if that didn't happen.
No, I think the movements of the save were dictated by the overseers, not some coded bell "message." I think the bell was there to signal to the family and the employees that "lunch is on the table." Of course, that notification was understood by everyone on the plantation. But I strongly doubt that the intention was to tell the slaves in the cotton patch to go pick beets.
Well, you'd be wrong

http://randomthoughtsonhistory.blogspot ... s.html?m=1
Shocked. Shocked I tell you.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Is there any difference between a Farm Bell and a Plantation Bell?

They looked the same, and they were used in precisely the same way. Other than the terms used to describe them, I don't know of any difference. When I lived on my Grandparent's farm in Iowa, back in the 1950s, they used a Farm Bell during planting and harvesting to tell us when it was time to get up, time to assemble, time to break for for lunch, and time to knock off in the evening. There were certainly no slaves on the farm. I think it's illogical to ascribe a nefarious purpose to a Plantation Bell, simply because it was used on a farm that used slave labor.

So many here are seems hell-bent on political correctness and creating divisiveness by convincing some people that they should hate a bell because it was owned by a Human Devil at one time, many generations in the past. I'll stop trying to explain the logical difference, so I'll relent. Besides, it's also illogical to think one person can sway the opinion of a vast majority who seem to think that they need to appease to assuage their own feelings of "guilt. I'm only arguing on the side of logic, anyhow; the bell is not my symbol of anything, and I don't give a damn what happens to it. Melt it down and cast a statue of Martin Luther King, Jr.; if you want. It makes no difference to me.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

The difference between a farm bell and a slave bell is similar to the differences between a farm and a plantation.

And fwiw I’m not hell bent on hating the bell, nor in getting rid of it. I’m just saying Baywave argued that side a lot better.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Roller wrote:Is there any difference between a Farm Bell and a Plantation Bell?

They looked the same, and they were used in precisely the same way. Other than the terms used to describe them, I don't know of any difference. When I lived on my Grandparent's farm in Iowa, back in the 1950s, they used a Farm Bell during planting and harvesting to tell us when it was time to get up, time to assemble, time to break for for lunch, and time to knock off in the evening. There were certainly no slaves on the farm. I think it's illogical to ascribe a nefarious purpose to a Plantation Bell, simply because it was used on a farm that used slave labor.

So many here are seems hell-bent on political correctness and creating divisiveness by convincing some people that they should hate a bell because it was owned by a Human Devil at one time, many generations in the past. I'll stop trying to explain the logical difference, so I'll relent. Besides, it's also illogical to think one person can sway the opinion of a vast majority who seem to think that they need to appease to assuage their own feelings of "guilt. I'm only arguing on the side of logic, anyhow; the bell is not my symbol of anything, and I don't give a damn what happens to it. Melt it down and cast a statue of Martin Luther King, Jr.; if you want. It makes no difference to me.
I know you're old, but I'm pretty sure you're not THAT old
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Makes national news (though they couldn't be bothered to get an actual Tulane photo and used other race-related photos and video within the story).

Nothing new in the story, just quoting the letter.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/28/us/t ... index.html
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

The video and photo of med students at Whitney Plantation is a Tulane story. I think we had a thread of it on here if I remember correctly.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I’m just get back on land and seeing the story for the first time so without reading the whole thread, my first thought when reading it was “will the school’s name be next?” (Pretty sure this has been discussed here before) In the original charter Paul Tulane established the school to “educate white men”.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Roller wrote:
ml wave wrote:It'll never fail to amaze me why people get so bothered by these things. Who cares if Tulane removes the bell? Who is harmed by that? On the other hand, you've got FB, MBB, WBB teams that are majority African-American and you want to tell them hey sorry, we're keeping our plantation bell just cause?
That works both ways. It'll never fail to amaze me why people get so bothered by these things, either. Should we remove everything from all our museums; because every period in history is laced with atrocities, and all architectural artifacts are somehow connected to some kind of deplorable activity. The debate is absurd on both sides. I choose to side with those who react against those who initiate the conversation. We are merely asking why--why get so worked up over something that is irrelevant to your present circumstance and has no bearing on your life at this point? Why even create such a foolish conversation?
Who exactly on the other side of your "debate" is bothered? Tulane made a decision to remove the bell, I haven't seen anyone get "worked up" over this except for people employing the slippery slope fallacy right and left.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Cheerleader wrote:Because we know how the left thinks.
Wow, it was a surprisingly short-lived crown for the guy who criticized a college kid for having the gall not to be able to throw in the high-90s.
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

When I saw the topic, I thought...Here we go again. However, the thread is intelligent and very rational. Thanks to all.
Cheerleader wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:55 pm Because we know how the left thinks.
Then again, there's always one...

“Timendi causa est nescire -
Ignorance is the cause of fear.”

― Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Natural Questions
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Can we put the bell in a safe space?
Plan your work, work your plan.