Cow Cat is Dead

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Cow Cat is Dead

Unread post by WaveProf »

https://www.facebook.com/TulaneU/posts/ ... 21331013:0

You have no idea how big Cow Cat was. The students got together and built him a house at one point. He filled the void left by the death of granny cart lady. (in case you've forgotten Granny Cart Lady..... https://inpraiseof.wordpress.com/2009/1 ... tradition/ )

Cow cat had a twitter at one time.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: Cow Cat is Dead

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

GCL was a big deal in my time. She even sat in on/regularly disturbed a class of mine. Just the thought of her brings back good memories.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Who was the guy who sat outside the old UC in the 80s and 90s in a tweed, leather-elbow-patch coat, smoking a pipe and waxing intellectual with anyone who stopped to talk to him (especially co-eds)? I guess he was my generation's GCL or CC.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:Who was the guy who sat outside the old UC in the 80s and 90s in a tweed, leather-elbow-patch coat, smoking a pipe and waxing intellectual with anyone who stopped to talk to him (especially co-eds)? I guess he was my generation's GCL or CC.
That guy was still there when I showed up on campus in 2008. He was still a legend. But his name escapes me at the moment.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

His name was Louis, Pete. He would always greet people in a British accent and then he'd switch to his regular accent. Strange guy, but legendary.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Yep, Louis, that's him. Never spoke to him in 8 years on campus. Didn't he eventually get kicked off for saying something inappropriate to a coed?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Not sure, but GCL eventually got kicked off campus for making racist and sexist comments to students in classes and in class buildings. She was particularly hard on women, whom she called "hussies" to their faces, for going to a co-ed school (supposedly she was a Newcomb grad).

None of this stopped her legend, and a sorority commissioned granny cart lady t-shirts (that eventually got sold to the public at large at a t-shirt store just off campus). The irony is that as of a year or so ago they still had a couple left, but I can't imagine any of their students/shoppers knowing what the silhouette of a woman pushing a granny cart stood for.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:Yep, Louis, that's him. Never spoke to him in 8 years on campus. Didn't he eventually get kicked off for saying something inappropriate to a coed?
That was what I had heard, and that it was (allegedly) a near-miss sort of thing from going further than inappropriate speech.
JDTulane
President's Circle

Unread post by JDTulane »

GCL <3
Cow Cat <3

Blessed to be present for both of their tenures. Albeit for different reasons. GCL was a riot despite her racism and ornery nature. Cow Cat was all cuddles and warmth.

Both could cheer ya up instantly.

-edit- Louis was a creep with a fake accent -edit-
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

JDTulane wrote:GCL <3

GCL was a riot despite her racism and ornery nature.
Sounds like a gem.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
WaveProf
Cornerstone

I never had too many run-ins with GCL because she wasn't on my side of campus, but she sat in on a few of my wife's classes and took the quizzes (language classes were one of her faves, and she supposedly spoke 4 or 5 languages).

She never caused problems in my wife's classes

The two main stories I heard from students that soured me on her were:

1) Telling a female student who had stopped to help carry her granny cart upstairs that, "you shouldn't be going to school here you hussy, you should be at a girls school"

&

2) SItting in a packed McAllister for a concert, and commenting to herself out loud (loud enough it could be heard for several rows) "look at all the negros around here, in my day they sat in the balcony"

After that I never really cared to learn more.

But I did, nonetheless, always get a chuckle out of the CULT of GCL and the love the students had for her. I found that cute even if I found the woman less so.
JDTulane
President's Circle

TUPF:

We loved her because of the chaos she caused. Students would try and take selfies with her (without her catching on) before selfies were a thing. She would brighten up every lecture she crashed because of the entertainment of watching the professor squirm.

Was she herself the greatest person? No. But the chaos and entertainment value she brought were top notch.

WaveProf
Cornerstone

JDTulane wrote:
OK. That was amazing.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

JDTulane wrote:TUPF:

We loved her because of the chaos she caused. Students would try and take selfies with her (without her catching on) before selfies were a thing. She would brighten up every lecture she crashed because of the entertainment of watching the professor squirm.

Was she herself the greatest person? No. But the chaos and entertainment value she brought were top notch.
In our current environment, that explains a lot. Thanks :lol:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

ALERT!!!

I'll never forget where I was when I found out Cecil the lion/harambe/cow cat/insert some other animal 99% of people haven't heard of but lose their minds online died

SARCASM!
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

I remember Louis. We had many conversations with Louis on our back from the Boot or Waldo's to Sharp freshman year.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

According to Richard Campenella, Cow Cat's death was not of "natural causes". Rather, the end of a vicious and long struggle with some kind of animal, possibly a possum or nutria.
Last edited by WaveProf on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Should we know who Justin Nystrom is?
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Hopefully tupd can round up Johnny chimpo, jerry the giraffe, and arty the alligator and bring them in for a lineup
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
WaveProf
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote:Should we know who Justin Nystrom is?
Sorry Pete, I'm so used to the constant propaganda from Tulane pushing Dr. campenella, that I forget that he's only a big deal in a small world. He's an architecture professor (and a history of architecture person) who is best known for popular books of his photography around the city which he then juxtaposes against historical photos of the same locations. His books are "the" cool xmas gift for people Uptown who want to act like they aren't really so uptown :wink: Then again, I bought one for my mom, so who am I to talk :coolshades:

Canpenella tweets and uses social media constantly, is on the radio and local television, and Tulane pushes him on their social media and local PR as much as any professor on campus short of the controversial political figure who shall not be named because even naming him somehow gets read as political.

Campanella seems like a nice guy, and I enjoy a lot of what he does a lot. But Tulane's contant push of it, basically because its something that can sell mainstream, has made him our new "rock star" academic since whatsherface moved on from poli sci. albeit rockstar only on the local level
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Edit: the other reason I was confusing is that I brain fart-d and interchanged the names Richard campenella with Justin nystrom. Nystrom is Loyola's version of Campenella (Nystrom is history and film, but same basic idea). It was Campenella I read and Campenella I was talking about but I invertedthe names :jerry:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Glad to know an architecture professor is busy researching the death of a feral cat. :roll:

(from the "sentences you never thought you'd say" file)
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:Glad to know an architecture professor is busy researching the death of a feral cat. :roll:

Probably more useful than a lot of other "academic" research going on.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

PeteRasche wrote:Glad to know an architecture professor is busy researching the death of a feral cat. :roll:

I thought the first thing I saw about it said that cow cat had lost a fight with something (though, for a feral cat, I'd pretty much consider that natural cuases). and that Campanella's office is next to the dog house set up for cow cat.
JDTulane
President's Circle

He found the cat.