Anyone see this story?

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Anyone see this story?

Post by Rotorooter »

http://theadvocate.com/news/neworleans/ ... ay-morning

Horrible. Been to Ms. Mae's many times and where he was shot I do not remember being a bad area. Best to have a wingman at all times (except those lucky ones).
Plan your work, work your plan.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Re: Anyone see this story?

Post by Johnny Mac »

My pedestrian theory is, since he had no car, he most likely cabbed it to his hotel and asked to stop to get snacks (his phone was dead, so Uber was not an option). Either the cabbie:

1. shot and robbed the guy himself
2. abandoned the guy and he ended up trying to walk to the hotel and got robbed
3. abandoned the guy in order to set up the robbery
4. or was sitting right there as the guy got shot and robbed

My guess is there will be news coming out soon about the cab he was riding in.

I find it unlikely he accepted a ride from a stranger at Miss Mae's and that person robbed and killed him.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Terrible. I will say that South Claiborne Avenue is no place to be after the sun goes down. No telling why he was there (as the story says) but probably something innocent (crossing Claiborne on the way somewhere else, stopped to get gas as mentioned in the story), and then turned into something bad (maybe got robbed/harassed while getting gas?).

I once went to the Church's chicken on Claiborne with some teammates, that was the first time I saw a fully-bulletproofed fast food restaurant (thickest glass I've ever seen, had to be 1.5 inches thick or more, with the "lazy susan" thing to take your money and give you your food). I also remember driving through the Taco Bell on Claiborne once or twice late at night and always feeling like a sitting duck in the drive thru line, because if someone decided to jack every car sitting in the line, it's not like you could try to drive away. Beyond that, I stayed away from Claiborne after dark.

On edit: didn't see he was in a cab. Makes the gas station thing more odd. Makes it more likely the driver was in on it (as mentioned above)....
Last edited by PeteRasche on Mon May 09, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Roto--- M's mae's is a very safe area, but somehow he ended up on Claiborne. Claiborne is far safer than it was just a few years ago, but it's still one of the most likely streets to see in the nightly news as it has been for decades. But that's at least a mile from ms mae's, which in Nola geography, is quite a distance, especially when you are moving riverside/lakeside
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

It's a couple miles from The Club (I don't call it Mae's, it's the The Club). No one like him should be at that intersection at that time of night. Nothing good will come of it and something awful did.

The area around The Club is not "very safe" at 3 am. No one should go one block off Magazine by themselves at that time of night and that goes for the length of the street. All of the cyclists making a nuisance of themselves on Magazine know this.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

3 AM? I thought it was 3 PM? If it was 3 AM then yes, a block off magazine isn't as advised as I made it sound, though still not as dangerous as LG makes it sound.

And the reason cyclists ride on Magazine isn't crime, it's the same reasons cars don't want to ride long distances on Camp, etc A stop sign every 1-2 blocks, and pot holes the size of a small car (which is even worse on a bike than a car)
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

At that time of night, if you're one block off Magazine you need to have your head on a swivel. Period. That is not the same thing as saying that you're going to get mugged if you do it once or every time you do it.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

long green wrote:At that time of night, if you're one block off Magazine you need to have your head on a swivel. Period. That is not the same thing as saying that you're going to get mugged if you do it once or every time you do it.
You are being a little dramatic. My parents lived on Constance for 5 years without incident. Of course, up-river of Napoleon, the neighborhood is quite a bit better.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

It depends where on Magazine. We rented on Camp street (exactly one block off magazine) near Jefferson, and I wouldn't have thought twice about being on my street at 3AM

Now we live on Fourth sreet about a half mile riverside of magazine, and I still feel safe walking between my home and Magazine after dark, but I wouldn't at 3 AM. 3 AM really isn't a good time to be anywhere in any city other than on the main thoroughfare where the revelers are.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I am being dramatic but your examples of how I am being dramatic aren't good enough. When your parents lived in a nicer area on Constance did they spend a lot of time on the streets at 3 a.m.? If you do that sort of thing regularly you have to watch out for yourself even there.
Last edited by long green on Mon May 09, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

WaveProf wrote:It depends where on Magazine. We rented on Camp street (exactly one block off magazine) near Jefferson, and I wouldn't have thought twice about being on my street at 3AM

Now we live on Fourth sreet about a half mile riverside of magazine, and I still feel safe walking between my home and Magazine after dark, but I wouldn't at 3 AM. 3 AM really isn't a good time to be anywhere in any city other than on the main thoroughfare where the revelers are.
You might have broken a record with that reversal. From I'm making things sound worse than they are to saying what I said to begin with...fifty minutes.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Not at all LG. You are still over dramatizing it and have been. I reversed course from safe to I wouldn't do it instantly when I realized it was 3 AM not 3 PM. I just said then (and still contend) you are overstating. One should stay on main thoroughfares at 3 AM. That's being smart. But one block off magazine is still relatively safe, even at 3 am, at most places along magazine. But why take the chance?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Words mean nothing to you.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Regardless of this bickering, we can all agree that one should not be at a gas station on South Claiborne at 3 am. The question is how/why did he end up there.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote:Regardless of this bickering, we can all agree that one should not be at a gas station on South Claiborne at 3 am. The question is how/why did he end up there.
as I mentioned.. he didn't have a car... so it had to have been via cab or he got a ride with someone.. I doubt he walked the almost 2 miles from Magazine/Napoleon to S Claiborne where the gas station is... plus the place they found his body was in the wrong direction if he was continuing on foot to the CBD

maybe one of the guys he went out for drinks with decided to off the dude and make it look like a robbery?
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

or maybe not a cab driver but a Uber driver? Whole story seems very odd.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

GreenieBacker wrote:or maybe not a cab driver but a Uber driver? Whole story seems very odd.
NCIS New Orleans? Where is Scott Bakula when you need him?
Plan your work, work your plan.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

That sounds totally crazy but this story doesn't make sense.

He didn't look very impaired on camera.
He has to know his phone wasn't working.
He should have known he's in an area where getting a cab won't be that easy and he probably did know that.
He bought two bottles of water. Was he with someone else, who is that, where were they, and if they are completely innocent why haven't they come forward?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

GreenieBacker wrote:or maybe not a cab driver but a Uber driver? Whole story seems very odd.
His phone went out at 1:30. He could not have gotten an Uber.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:Regardless of this bickering, we can all agree that one should not be at a gas station on South Claiborne at 3 am. The question is how/why did he end up there.
Truth. But Tulane students can be insulated from the crime all over the city if they want to be. Case-in-point, I had a law school friend who wanted to take some pictures off of Claiborne and 2nd street. At night. So a group of us went and nearly ended up as eyewitnesses to a murder. And by nearly, I mean smelled the cordite and watched the cars whizz past us. That was a fun grad week activity...
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

There is an awful lot to this story that makes no sense. Tulane grads would know not to venture up to S. Claiborne at 3 in the morning, particularly if they have been at Ms Mae's (I lived a block from the old one, across from the Magazine St. Bus barn); it is not a logical place one would go from down there. Where was he going? That might provide some answers.

Not sure what to make of it all.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Johnny, scrub that last post of yours, please. You've just speculated that the young woman who lost her fiance might be guilty of murder.

Feel free to delete this if you do.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

long green wrote:Johnny, scrub that last post of yours, please. You've just speculated that the young woman who lost her fiance might be guilty of murder.

Feel free to delete this if you do.
He meant to put it in pink
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

police are now saying that there appears to have been a struggle and an armed robbery. I've got to think that the most likely suspect is whoever he bought that second water for.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

It is more likely that we have a living witness.