Story about Tulane student living through Ida (twice)

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Story about Tulane student living through Ida (twice)

Post by PeteRasche »

Randomly had this pop up in suggested stories. Interesting to hear the "inside" story. Worth the read.

https://scarsdale10583.com/schools/9142 ... -at-tulane

It amazes me that I spent 8 years at Tulane and never had a real hurricane hit (closest was Andrew in 1992 which ended up going west and only causing minor damage, but before most students returned to campus from the summer).
Roller
Cornerstone

Re: Story about Tulane student living through Ida (twice)

Post by Roller »

One of my favorite hurricane stories:
I was on a Midshipman cruise for Betsy. The destroyer I was in spent a wild night on our final day of the cruise, riding the edge of Betsy As soon as we got ashore, I caught my flight home , with no expectation that it would turn south, then west, and eventually hit New Orleans (Betsy was out in the Atlantic near Bermuda at that point). Naturally, given my Joe Btfsplk persona, The storm hit New Orleans several days after I arrived.
But mine was not the most notable experience.
A fellow Tulane NROTC Midshipman, who was on the same cruise, although on a different ship traveling in the same carrier group as I was, decided to stop in Miami to visit his uncle on the way back to New Orleans. He got to his uncle's house in time to sit through Betsy when she crossed the Florida peninsula. Because of the damage in Miami, he decided not to hang around and be a burden to his uncle. He managed to get back to Tulane in time to get hit a third time, which could be a record for somebody not riding a hurricane hunter.