Tulane/Cinci Moved to Black Friday

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: Tulane/Cinci Moved to Black Friday

Post by WaveProf »

The USians who watch world cup aren't likely to be watching this game anyway. Meanwhile, WC up against summer vs WC on Black Friday when USians want to shop, eat, and watch american football, is going to be stiff challenge. I like soccer, follow world cup fairly closely (though admittedly I typically dont watch the US team), but I don't think this is a major factor for anybody besides a few Tulane fans who also happen to be big USMNT fans.

I wish most away games were weekdays, frees up the weekend and adds spice to a weeknight. Conversely I wish all our home games were weekends. But that's all just about me, and I'm aware of that. In this case, the weekend after thanksgiving, I like that this might get a few more eyes on our game (less college football competition). I don't love I'll have to put off our Christmas tree pick up and decoration, but I'll just flip it with Saturday, not absolute disaster.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

FW wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:06 am
Wavefan wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:28 pm But it’s soccer
I guarantee more people are going to be watching US-England than Tulane-Cincy (including me).
I guarantee more people who would normally watch our game will still watch our game (including me).
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Personally I want a Noon game (ET) because I love tailgates with breakfast food, and it's more likely to be a bit warmer in Nippert between 12 and 3 (daylight throughout) than 3 to 6 (that time of year the stadium would be in shadow, then dark, probably after the first quarter).

Last time I had a great time pregame listening to Rodney Holman and Jim Boyle share mimosa-fueled war stories of their Tulane days. 8)

Hey, it's a holiday weekend, is anyone here considering making the trip? Or is that TBD depending on if we're still in contention?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:41 am Personally I want a Noon game (ET) because I love tailgates with breakfast food
There are support groups to help people with problems like yours :green wink:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

gerryb323 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:32 am
FW wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:06 am
Wavefan wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:28 pm But it’s soccer
I guarantee more people are going to be watching US-England than Tulane-Cincy (including me).
I guarantee more people who would normally watch our game will still watch our game (including me).
100%
Of course WC will have higher ratings. No one ever suggested otherwise. That isn't the same thing as saying the WC will hamper viewership in any meaningful way.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

As long as they don't cut in with split screens and soccer audio every time USA is close to scoring, amiright? :green wink:

Seriously, I don't know why Tulane people are upset unless they are planning to attend in person (which most, I'd venture, aren't)... watch whichever starts first live, record the other, and don't check the scores until you've watched both. It's Black Friday, you have the time. 8)

If football starts first, you can probably catch up to real time in soccer afterwards by running your DVR at 2x or 4x and watching them run around at fast speed, and then backing up and watching if any goal is scored. Soccer is a sport where you can actually somewhat follow the action even when speeded up because it's normally pretty slow.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:22 pm As long as they don't cut in with split screens and soccer audio every time USA is close to scoring, amiright? :green wink:

Seriously, I don't know why Tulane people are upset unless they are planning to attend in person (which most, I'd venture, aren't)... watch whichever starts first live, record the other, and don't check the scores until you've watched both. It's Black Friday, you have the time. 8)

If football starts first, you can probably catch up to real time in soccer afterwards by running your DVR at 2x or 4x and watching them run around at fast speed, and then backing up and watching if any goal is scored. Soccer is a sport where you can actually somewhat follow the action even when speeded up because it's normally pretty slow.
This is the way I typically think, but the ESPN ticker on bottom will be constantly showing the WC score, as well as our game if either Tulane or Cincy are ranked. So you have to be more careful about start times and overlap.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:22 pm As long as they don't cut in with split screens and soccer audio every time USA is close to scoring, amiright? :green wink:

Or you can not watch the soccer game and then watch the 8 seconds of highlights of the 2 goals scored
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

WaveProf wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:26 pm

This is the way I typically think, but the ESPN ticker on bottom will be constantly showing the WC score, as well as our game if either Tulane or Cincy are ranked. So you have to be more careful about start times and overlap.
Tape a yardstick (or equivalent) to cover the bottom of your screen!
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

murphwave wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:40 pm Just to put some facts behind this debate. 5 billion people are expected to watch the World Cup (some smaller subset will watch US England). 25M watched the NCAA National Championship game in 2022.
So, world-wide, maybe another 2 billion leftover to watch our game?
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

gerryb323 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:29 pm

Or you can not watch the soccer game and then watch the 8 seconds of highlights of the 2 goals scored
Add another minute for the 25 faked injuries.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

SlidellWave wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:54 pm
windywave wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:11 pm
SlidellWave wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:36 pm For those interested, the USMNT VS. England starts at 3pm Central time. (3-5 pm)

Our game would either be at 1pm or 4:30pm, so I guess we hope for the 4:30pm start. By that time late in the game
England should be up 5-0 and viewers will have turned it off.
Um care to wager?
I won't bet on the 5 but I will bet on the 0. Unless we pull some magical 9 out of our a$$, we aren't scoring in this WC. We couldn't score on Japan or Saudi, this is going to be bad tournament for us.
Guessing you don't follow England football much
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

I don't know, Windy. England has bad lapses. But the US offense has been ghastly all year. Resistable force meets movable object.

Anyway, I dont think it will affect the audience for the Wave.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

windywave wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:11 pm
SlidellWave wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:36 pm For those interested, the USMNT VS. England starts at 3pm Central time. (3-5 pm)

Our game would either be at 1pm or 4:30pm, so I guess we hope for the 4:30pm start. By that time late in the game
Um care to wager?
I won't bet on the 5 but I will bet on the 0. Unless we pull some magical 9 out of our a$$, we aren't scoring in this WC. We couldn't score on Japan or Saudi, this is going to be bad tournament for us.
Who's their quarterback?
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:04 am
windywave wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:11 pm

Um care to wager?
Who's their quarterback?
That’s the reason I just can’t believe in them. All that talent but without a good QB they don’t have a high ceiling
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Soccer would be much more interesting if the goalies couldn't use their hands either.
Victory is never permanent