ECU

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: ECU

Unread post by WaveProf »

The ESPN algorythym is massively flawed
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

purplehaz3 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:08 pm
WaveProf wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:51 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:31 am Sp+ is out. Tulane 6.2, #53. Ecu 3.5, #64. That would project our line somewhere around Tulane -4.5
After ECU's win yesterday, ESPN dropped us to 70.3% chance to win.
ESPN doesn’t know anything. We are significantly more talented than ECU. It’s about making the right plays and not making mistakes
I really doubt we are significantly more talented. More talented, maybe, but we are certainly flawed enough to lose this game by multiple scores if we don't play well.

BTW, just want to point out that sp+ and espn projections aren't the same thing. Sp+ was developed totally independently over a decade ago and only became part of espn in the last 3 years. Bill connelly developed sp+ and still runs it.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Tulane opens as a 3 point favorite.
We deserve so much better
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Already down to 2 point favorite
Radio Wave
President's Circle

Unread post by Radio Wave »

ECU will not be easy but like all Tulane games it's a must win.
Roll Wave
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

Houston is more talented than ECU. Houston's a mess though. ECU should have beaten NC State, but NC State is not the #10 team in the country. I wouldn't be shocked if they lose 3-4 games. ECU can easily beat us and it won't be easy, but our win over K-State on the road is more impressive than ECU losing to NCSU at home.
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Unread post by purplehaz3 »

Tulane favored -2.5…actually pretty bizarre but sounds like easy money. These bookies don’t do a great job covering Tulane games. I’ve made nice money
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

If we beat ECU we'll be favored in every game the rest of the year except Cincinnati and maybe UCF. And I'll believe we're good enough to beat all those teams (and depending on how we beat them, maybe even the other two as well).

If we lose to ECU the only game we'll definitely be favored in is USF. Maybe Tulsa or Memphis but not guaranteed. And depending on how that game goes, I won't necessarily expect us to win them either.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Early line movement has completely reversed. Back to Tulane -3
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:30 pm If we beat ECU we'll be favored in every game the rest of the year except Cincinnati and maybe UCF. And I'll believe we're good enough to beat all those teams (and depending on how we beat them, maybe even the other two as well).

If we lose to ECU the only game we'll definitely be favored in is USF. Maybe Tulsa or Memphis but not guaranteed. And depending on how that game goes, I won't necessarily expect us to win them either.
We will be favored against Memphis barring a total collapse
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Unread post by DCGreenie »

WaveProf wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:17 pm The ESPN algorythym is massively flawed
Spelling 'algorithm' this way is humorous heterography or 'eye speak', right?
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

DCGreenie wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:48 pm
WaveProf wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:17 pm The ESPN algorythym is massively flawed
Have you noticed that each "c" in "Pacific Ocean" is pronounced differently?
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Roller wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:33 pm
Have you noticed that each "c" in "Pacific Ocean" is pronounced differently?
Not until you pointed it out. It is an idiosyncratic conundrum of the English language......
WaveProf
Cornerstone

I honestly don't know if it was a bad autocorrect of a typo or me typing in a hurry and not realizing what I was typing, but I rarely look (or care about) typos on message boards, so who knows? :green wink: :green wink: :green wink:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Less slack available for an English prof..... But, what the hay -- all of us make mistakes, none of us is human.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

DCGreenie wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:22 pm Less slack available for an English prof..... But, what the hay -- all of us make mistakes, none of us is human.
If getting a PhD in english, and taking Middle English, taught me anything, it's that grammar is entirely subjective and arbitrary :angel: :angel:
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

WaveProf wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:28 pm
DCGreenie wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:22 pm Less slack available for an English prof..... But, what the hay -- all of us make mistakes, none of us is human.
If getting a PhD in english, and taking Middle English, taught me anything, it's that grammar is entirely subjective and arbitrary :angel: :angel:
And so many people actually believe their fourth grade teacher invented all the rules...
8)
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Very surprised there is a line given Pratt’s availability. I don’t see us as a favorite in Vegas’ eyes with Horton starting. Not saying it is right or wrong, just an opinion.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

tjtlja wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:22 pm Very surprised there is a line given Pratt’s availability. I don’t see us as a favorite in Vegas’ eyes with Horton starting. Not saying it is right or wrong, just an opinion.
Vegas builds the uncertainty of the starter into their line. In their eyes we are roughly a 3 point favorite even with qb up in the air. That could be because they expect Pratt back, think Horton is good, or don't think there is much difference between our qbs given how strong our defense has been.
TGW8008
Rookie

Unread post by TGW8008 »

I’m planning on hosting my own tailgate for the first time this weekend. I’ve read the university’s official messaging and directions but still feel unclear on a few things.
Does anyone have and tips on logistics - timing and how to deal with supplies during/after the game?
——
Roll Wave
DCGreenie
President's Circle

This issue is orthography, not grammar.......
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

TGW8008 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:55 pm I’m planning on hosting my own tailgate for the first time this weekend. I’ve read the university’s official messaging and directions but still feel unclear on a few things.
Does anyone have and tips on logistics - timing and how to deal with supplies during/after the game?
Check with the Greenbackers.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

DCGreenie wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:39 am
This issue is orthography, not grammar.......
Which, relative to my point, is the same thing. If anything, it fits my point all the more directly.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:40 pm
tjtlja wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:22 pm Very surprised there is a line given Pratt’s availability. I don’t see us as a favorite in Vegas’ eyes with Horton starting. Not saying it is right or wrong, just an opinion.
Vegas builds the uncertainty of the starter into their line. In their eyes we are roughly a 3 point favorite even with qb up in the air. That could be because they expect Pratt back, think Horton is good, or don't think there is much difference between our qbs given how strong our defense has been.
Normally not cynical but there is simply not enough money bet on Tulane games to justify taking this off the board because oddsmakers can’t manage the effect of this injury risk.

Vegas includes this game as a courtesy to those customers who want a full menu of action. It doesn’t matter to the Sports books if this spread is wrong. It’s just a blip in their overall business
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

Ahlers is a tough nut. He has no quit. Tons of experience. We can sack him 12 times and he’s going to get up and go again.
He will throw it deep a bunch.
He will throw some INTs but he will throw TDs.
And ECU can run the ball.

Long story short I think ECU is a big challenge for our D.

They kicked our arse last year.