Houston and Cincy in top 25

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Houston and Cincy in top 25

Unread post by RI WAVE »

Can Tulane be competitive against them and Kansas St?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... r-AA10ras7

Match ups and depth on the lines could determine our ability to actually make significant strides in 22!

Any thoughts on how we match up with K state, since that might be the first really tough opponent.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Houston and Cincy in top 25

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Honest question: in light of what they lost, if Cincinnati were not going to the Big 12 next year, would they be ranked?
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

At least one of those two will not finish ranked.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:36 pm Honest question: in light of what they lost, if Cincinnati were not going to the Big 12 next year, would they be ranked?
They kept their coach and have recruited well for some time now so I think they would be ranked even if they weren't moving on.
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

UC has been in peach Bowl and cotton Bowl, the last two seasons with only one loss each year. Following that, UC is only preseason ranked #23. Being that low is what’s remarkable not that are ranked
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Baywave1 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:12 pm UC has been in peach Bowl and cotton Bowl, the last two seasons with only one loss each year. Following that, UC is only preseason ranked #23. Being that low is what’s remarkable not that are ranked
UC had basically the same roster those two years. Most of the better players are gone.

Historically, when a P5 team is good one year, returns everyone, is great the next year, and then a bunch of their key players all graduate/get drafted, they get the benefit of the doubt and still are ranked the following year, even if they look to be replacing all their key players with newcomers (heck, even if they have a new coach). They are assumed to be "reloading". When the same situation happens with a G5, they are almost always not ranked. They are assumed to be "rebuilding". Amongst many examples, look at Tulane not being ranked preseason in 1999 after finishing 7th the year before.

That's why I suggest that without the P5 berth, UC isn't ranked this preseason. But I'm just throwing it out there as discussion topic, obviously there's no way to prove it either way.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

The Tulane example is a poor one. Tulane had stunk for a long time. It's first winning season under that coaching staff didn't get a Bowl game. The undefeated season got a mid level Bowl. They then lost the HC and the obvious choice to replace him.There was no established pattern of good recruiting. Cincy has recruited well since Day was hired. They have been to major Bowls. They wii take a step back with the losses and that's reflected by not being in the top 20. They deserve to be ranked where they are. I hope they merit that ranking so that when we beat them it means something.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by RI WAVE »

Wavedom,

"when be beat them" brings us right back to how we match up against Cincy, Houston, and K - State. The end of the season is pretty far off.

so - K-State may be more relevant to discuss - they seem to be improving each year - do we have lines that match up or will they just wear us down and overpower us - as the game progresses.

I really want us to punish Houston - it is time! Will our secondary make it a game? Will our D-Line have a chance against their O-Line?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

RI, I think Kansas St. Is going to be tough defensively. They are always a well disciplined team that usually makes you beat them. They have been vulnerable early season in years past, they lost to Arkansas St a couple years back, but Kleiman has done a nice job of improving their talent. Adrian Martinez is the big gamble for them in offense and we can hope he pitches a few turnovers out way.

If you want a podcast that may give you some insight, check out the last few minutes of the below. It's the Cover 3 podcast with a "summer school" episode where they interviewed folks with insights to a bunch of fbs programs. This is the one with Kansas St and three other schools. K St coverage starts at 38:30. Btw, Tulane is not a program that got a summer school episode.

https://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp ... 1653160575
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

RI WAVE wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:59 am Wavedom,

"when be beat them" brings us right back to how we match up against Cincy, Houston, and K - State. The end of the season is pretty far off.

so - K-State may be more relevant to discuss - they seem to be improving each year - do we have lines that match up or will they just wear us down and overpower us - as the game progresses.

I really want us to punish Houston - it is time! Will our secondary make it a game? Will our D-Line have a chance against their O-Line?
I don't think you give Cincy enough credit- maybe without realizing it you have P5 bias? In the coaches poll K. St. comes in 45th. They may be improving but Cincy has proven themselves. I also think you need to add UCF to your list. I know people love to knock Malzahn but they have a good program and I think they make a jump in year 2 under him. Bottom line is those 4 games against Big 12 teams will tell us if the program is truly getting better.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

wavedom wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:55 amBottom line is those 4 games against Big 12 teams will tell us if the program is truly getting better.
Better compared to 2020 or better compared to 2021? Very different bars. I think we are all hoping 2021 was a total anomaly. We really need to be getting better compared to 2020, or else we're basically staying the same as the last 5-ish years.
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Unread post by IM42lane »

long green wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:41 pm At least one of those two will not finish ranked.
Agree with that.
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:58 am
wavedom wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:55 amBottom line is those 4 games against Big 12 teams will tell us if the program is truly getting better.
Better compared to 2020 or better compared to 2021? Very different bars. I think we are all hoping 2021 was a total anomaly. We really need to be getting better compared to 2020, or else we're basically staying the same as the last 5-ish years.
Better compared to the rest of college football. it's year 7 . Veteran and experienced team. A very manageable schedule. There are no excuses and nowhere to hide.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:36 pm Honest question: in light of what they lost, if Cincinnati were not going to the Big 12 next year, would they be ranked?
I think if they were in the Big 12 this year they'd be less likely to be ranked. They're probably going to finish in the top 2/3 in the conference, win 9 or 10 games, etc. whereas that would be a lot tougher if they were playing Oklahoma, Baylor, OSU, etc.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:13 am They are always a well disciplined team that usually makes you beat them.
So, in other words, we are going to lose. :angel:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by RI WAVE »

Outlaw, thank you for the link and insight. I actually hope to make the K State game. I expect Pratt and the O to be much improved, so I am hopeful that we surprise them. After the OU game last year, no one will take us lightly. We will have to earn the W.

I am not taking Cincy lightly, just have a grudge against the Cougs. They “play dirty” and have for a long time. Need to punish them for a change.

UCF will be very tough but my emphasis was on the ability early in the season to show major improvement- K State and Houston provide the early litmus tests for this team. By the time we get into the season our depth on the lines will be another major factor…the new strength coach’s true impact will be on display. A lot of hype early. Of course I always look at the bright side! Hopeful for a major breakthrough this year! Otherwise I could not continue to follow the Wave!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

FWIW revived alum baseball game post-Jewett is same weekend as UCF home game. Slight chance that MB B will be playing at home then too. Nothing like a potential triple header after Homecoming!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

If you want a really long weekend, WBB host Bama on Thursday, Nov 10th
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Years ago I came to New Orleans for a weekend where the football team played Saturday afternoon, MBB played that night, and I chose the Saints on Sunday afternoon (they were playing my Bengals) rather than the WBB game. Between the Saturday football and baseball happened to be Ohio State/Michigan when they were #1 and #2 (watched over dinner at Bruno's) and after the MBB game went back to Bruno's for Ole Miss/LSU (the Manning family was there watching, which amped up the atmosphere). It was a really fun weekend. If you threw in a baseball alumni game, you are right Bay, that would be a great Wave weekend.
Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Unread post by Luvs da Wave »

That is a great recruiting perspective from a former student athlete. There are many strengths that Tulane can use to influence and persuade a prospect to sign with us. We need to capitalize on all of them.