MBB Costa Rica trip

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

MBB Costa Rica trip

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Details about the scrimmage itself and even the team we played are quite scarce but Tulane basketball landed in Costa Rica yesterday and took on some Ticos in an exhibition earlier today. It was a 97-61 Green Wave win.

https://twitter.com/GreenWaveMBB/status ... 4790021120

Thing is, I can only really guess at which team they even played because nothing was mentioned officially. I think it's a Costa Rican law school called Colegio de Abrogados, just putting some context clues together. And there's no box score but Jalen Cook led us in scoring with 24.

To the extent that the opponent even matters, anyway. Tulane won and the team is getting some quality time together.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: MBB Costa Rica trip

Post by PeteRasche »

Team bonding is good. Playing on a court where the roof doesn't spring a leak and force you to finish the game in a ballroom is good. Scoring 97 against anyone is good.

Hunter dancing with the natives... well...
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Solid action from 2 newcomers.
And Sion James - should be ready for a breakout year.

Nice start!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

UNO is in Costa Rico as well...is that a coincidence or are we going to play them?
SoFlaWave
Coach Level

Post by SoFlaWave »

A former president of Costa Rica is a Tulane Grad!!!

https://news.tulane.edu/news/tulane-alu ... sta%20Rica.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Per Jon Rothstein tweet:

AAC Sleeper Tulane wins its first game on a foreign tour by 36. 24 for former LSU guard Jalen Cook, who should be a first-team all-league guy in 22-23.

Next time my wife complains I spend too much time following college basketball I am going to forward this tweet. I get that he gets paid to report on college basketball but I might be the only person that follows him that possibly could care about this.

Did we cover the spread? My degenerate brother in-law would like to know.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

If Williams can score that would be terrific. Hunter talked up his defense when his addition was announced. As for James, if he can improve his shooting and offensive efficiency that would be great, but with so many good scorers available he can continue to be a glue guy.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

NJwave wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:35 amPer Jon Rothstein tweet:
AAC Sleeper Tulane wins its first game on a foreign tour by 36. 24 for former LSU guard Jalen Cook, who should be a first-team all-league guy in 22-23.
Glad to see after an entire season and all-league honors with Tulane, Cook is still "former LSU guard". Seriously??!? That's disgusting.
NJwave wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:35 amDid we cover the spread? My degenerate brother in-law would like to know.
Only thing more degenerate than someone considering betting this game (have we even confirmed the opponent?) would be some service trying to provide a betting line! :lol:
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

A healthy Jalen Cook could be POY in the conference. Tulane could very well be better than Memphis this season. Memphis and Houston just picked up transfer frontcourt players in the past week or so.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:33 pm
NJwave wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:35 amPer Jon Rothstein tweet:
Glad to see after an entire season and all-league honors with Tulane, Cook is still "former LSU guard". Seriously??!? That's disgusting.
NJwave wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:35 amDid we cover the spread? My degenerate brother in-law would like to know.
Only thing more degenerate than someone considering betting this game (have we even confirmed the opponent?) would be some service trying to provide a betting line! :lol:
When sports were shut down because of COVID, FanDuel actually was taking bets on table tennis. Any bet should have come with the caveat, “Seriously, you are betting on table tennis? Get help now.”

I actually found an article that pointed out that the organization that was running the matches wasn’t even sanctioned by the World Table Tennis Association. Basically, not only were people betting on players nobody could have ever possibly heard of, but there was a very good chance the matches were rigged.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

coach Hunter and the team presented 700 pairs of new shoes to kids as a part of this trip... nice work by coach and Samaritan's Feet
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Wave won another lopsided game tonight... Holloway top scorer, followed by Forbes and James.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Costa Rican National Champs!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Looks like Cook stepped back and facilitated his teammates.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

I know Hunter said he would limit minutes for his stars and get the new guys minutes to get acclimated. I can't find anything that shows minutes played, but given that Cross has not been listed as a player that stood out in the first two games I assume he hasn't played much.

It's hard to read in to very much from these games. My only take is that It is good to see James put up good numbers. It has to help his confidence. We all agree that he needs to finish better at the rim and shoot better from the outside. Some of that might just be confidence.

The pictures of the players and the kids they gave shoes to are awesome. The kids look so excited. It's a great cause that should be promoted more.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

NJwave wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:06 am The pictures of the players and the kids they gave shoes to are awesome. The kids look so excited. It's a great cause that should be promoted more.
absolutely... I don't recall the game this past season where CRH coached in bare feet.. they made a huge deal about it in previous seasons.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

Johnny Mac wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:20 am
NJwave wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:06 am The pictures of the players and the kids they gave shoes to are awesome. The kids look so excited. It's a great cause that should be promoted more.
absolutely... I don't recall the game this past season where CRH coached in bare feet.. they made a huge deal about it in previous seasons.
I don't believe he did. I watched every game televised and never saw it. I'm sure it'll be pointed out where I'm wrong.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Did he plan to do it in one of the COVID cancelled games?

The main advantages of this are ten extra official practices and a pleasant working vacation for folks who have to grind all year long
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

For some reason I feel like there used to be one day when all the coaches did it. The first time I ever heard of Ron Hunter was when he did an ESPN Radio interview while at IUPUI touting Samaritan's feet.

I would appreciate it somebody could post if they know if/how anything is coordinated through either Tulane or the basketball program. It would raise more money and bring some positive press to the program if Tulane spearheaded something that is obviously so important to Ron Hunter.

They delivered shoes on the trip which had to come from somewhere so perhaps it is already being done. The fact that none of us seem to be know the answer for sure means so much more could be done.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

NJwave wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:10 am For some reason I feel like there used to be one day when all the coaches did it.
That was the case. It might not have been a day, it might have been a weekend or a week, but almost all the coaches did it kinda at the same time.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:33 pmGlad to see after an entire season and all-league honors with Tulane, Cook is still "former LSU guard". Seriously??!? That's disgusting.
He's just making note that Cook has moved up.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Roller wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:49 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:33 pmGlad to see after an entire season and all-league honors with Tulane, Cook is still "former LSU guard". Seriously??!? That's disgusting.
He's just making note that Cook has moved up.
Hardly (I know you are kidding) and I'm surprised more folks have not commented on this. Last year, when he was fresh off the transfer people complained about how he was always labeled as "LSU transfer". Now it's a whole year later, he had a great first season with us, he's clearly an important part of our team, and they are STILL calling him "LSU transfer Jalen Cook"? This makes me furious.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:58 pm Did he plan to do it in one of the COVID cancelled games?

The main advantages of this are ten extra official practices and a pleasant working vacation for folks who have to grind all year long
I think so. Checked the news archives on all our buy games last year and there wasn't a mention of a Samaritan's Feet game. I'd guess it was supposed to happen during the Grambling game in late December when our team was all laid up and missed 3 games.