First day of preseason camp

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
long green
Cornerstone

First day of preseason camp

Post by long green »

And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Re: First day of preseason camp

Post by Johnny Mac »

wow... scrimmaging on Aug 13 and not again until Sept 20...not sure how smart it is to scrimmage in between Kansas State and USM :twisted: :twisted:

(it wouldn't be a Guerry Smith article without a glaring mistake)
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

There’s nobody on the team I’m pulling for more than Spears. Aside from guaranteed wins, just talking to him for a few minutes and you can’t help but want him to succeed.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Spears has up to two years of eligibility left. I’m rooting for him to not have to use the second one after this season.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Johnny Mac wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:07 pm wow... scrimmaging on Aug 13 and not again until Sept 20...not sure how smart it is to scrimmage in between Kansas State and USM :twisted: :twisted:

(it wouldn't be a Guerry Smith article without a glaring mistake)
Lack of proofreading/editing at TP amazes me even in this new budgetary world of digital news dominance.

Cynical side of me says TP sports editors simply don’t care enough to help Smith get it right when he doesn’t initially.

I don’t read much of LSU copy that TP produces, so no guess if beat writers editing quality is better there.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

getting back to the articles... on the "heavy hitter alum" conference call with Willie the other day, Coach mentioned the kicking situation that's in the article.. the Rutgers kid has the lead at this point.. the big leg kicker from Wazu is just inconsistent. Personally, I am surprised Glover Jr. beat him out for KO duty. I just hope we're not reverting back to Picarelli punting level with Wright gone.

In re Spears.. he's ridiculously talented. I have a feeling this will be his last year at Tulane... and it won't be a departure through the portal.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:34 am Spears has up to two years of eligibility left. I’m rooting for him to not have to use the second one after this season.
He redshirted 2019, 2020 was a free year...he was technically still a freshman last year and will have two years of eligibility after this season.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

If he stays healthy this season he'll be in the NFL Draft. Hope that happens.
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Shelf life of RBs is so short, he should take pro route as soon as it makes sense. I doubt TU will ever have enough NIL resources to compete even with NFL rookie minimum salaries. I just hope he gets the diploma. He will need it by age thirty if not sooner

If that’s 2023 then that means 2022 will be a very happy year for Mr. Spears and Tulane fans.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

If Spears stays healthy, he's gone after this year. I believe he graduates in December.
G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

2nd day of camp and the Official site has nothing on it. How are we to get pumped up for the season.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Good point. Tulane may not have the budget for football ops building but it does for an SID operation.

There are numerous media outlets that will leverage this free copy for you and publicize Tulane football news because they are desperate for football content for readers when they don’t have games to report on

Won’t happen if you don’t do it.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

There is content in the Advocate after every practice:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 70bee.html
We deserve so much better
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

wavedom wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:54 am There is content in the Advocate after every practice:

holy schnikes! Claybrook has had 6 position coaches at Tulane... hmmm.. wonder why the line has been disappointing every year?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:33 am
wavedom wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:54 am There is content in the Advocate after every practice:

holy schnikes! Claybrook has had 6 position coaches at Tulane... hmmm.. wonder why the line has been disappointing every year?
Exactly why I won't make any bold prognostications of how we'll do this year. New coaches don't mean improvement or even necessarily maintaining status quo.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Last year’s OL coaching situation was as bad as it could be. Watt had no full time experience and was brought in after spring. What resource could he be when things went pear-shaped? Naghavi of course was not the first OL coach hire this offseason but he got here in time for spring and he has multiple years’ experience of coaching a unit at the FBS level plus some years coaching a unit at the FCS level.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I’m expecting to see the post practice interviews on the Football YouTube channel again this year. This were pretty good and were posted after every practice. There are a lot of new people involved in football media/information dept this year.
Tulane Greenbackers

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I just looked, nothing. Ed Daniels had the equivalent on the WGNO site for the first day of practice. I don’t know what’s going on over there.

What the official site should be doing is what was normal when Toledo and Johnson were coaching here. Put out the vids with the coach and some players but also take that stuff and write stories about it. The goal should be to put out enough info for free that the media have to do more to keep up.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

More cynically, the media will use your stuff often with no additional editing. You control your PR narrative. That is powerful
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

long green wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:26 am I just looked, nothing. Ed Daniels had the equivalent on the WGNO site for the first day of practice. I don’t know what’s going on over there.

What the official site should be doing is what was normal when Toledo and Johnson were coaching here. Put out the vids with the coach and some players but also take that stuff and write stories about it. The goal should be to put out enough info for free that the media have to do more to keep up.
I just asked the recently hired Associate Director of New Media if we will get the videos either on YouTube or the official site.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

FWIW Guerry just tweeted a link to a free article stating it was "just a taste of what you'll get every day in August" if you subscribe to the Rivals page.

Yeah, the days of free media coverage are suffering...
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Guerry’s report is excellent and detailed. I have argued for years that Tulane doing the equivalent of what he does in the newspaper would make him do more for the newspaper and possibly even on rivals. It would cost us nothing.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:23 pm FWIW Guerry just tweeted a link to a free article stating it was "just a taste of what you'll get every day in August" if you subscribe to the Rivals page.

Yeah, the days of free media coverage are suffering...
I'd rather not pay for little to no coverage than pay for his amateur journalism
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Disagree but no one’s changing minds here

Curious. Did you like Kushner or any psrticular pre-Guerry Tulane beat reporter?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

On the subject of football, Guerry blows Scott out of the water.