First day of preseason camp

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: First day of preseason camp

Post by waverider »

Sounds like we won’t have to be inside the 20 to attempt FGs this season.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I couldn’t care less about him making 50+ yard FG’s. I want someone who is about 90% inside 40 yards and 75% between 40 and 45.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

On its own that’s probably worth two more victories. In one of his extended interviews with Guerry on his site, Fritz said in effect unless we place kick like LG documents, Tulane cannot have a breakout season.

Realistic and almost certainly true.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Marathon Wave wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:33 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:36 am
Johnny Mac wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:33 am
wavedom wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:54 am There is content in the Advocate after every practice:
https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 70bee.html
holy schnikes! Claybrook has had 6 position coaches at Tulane... hmmm.. wonder why the line has been disappointing every year?
Exactly why I won't make any bold prognostications of how we'll do this year. New coaches don't mean improvement or even necessarily maintaining status quo.
Hopefully they mean improvement or else might have just as well kept the old ones.
You have to get rid of the previous one who was failing miserably, whether it be losing the team mentally or causing/allowing poor performance by his specific unit due to his strategy/methods. At least we have a coach (and/or AD?) who is willing to pull that trigger immediately when it's obvious, as opposed to previous coaches and the previous AD who were happy letting misery fester and failure continue an extra year or three.

There's no way to ever guarantee that the replacement won't do the same (or even to know whether it was more the players than the coach) until the replacement gets in and the results are shown on the field. But you certainly can't just let the prior guy who was clearly failing stick around because it never suddenly resolves.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Progress made:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 21845.html

Some depth questions answered along with what freshman might play.
We deserve so much better
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

You beat me to posting this here but I think I’ll put this in the freshman thread as well because that last section is so relevant to it.

Caleb Thomas is back practicing, giving us more bodies for the stretch run of preseason. It is very nice to hear that Manny Machado is considered just about a starter, having earned one of those no-number black jerseys from Chris Hampton.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

I think it would be better if that thread was combined with this one. There are a couple of others that could be added here rather than having multiple camp threads.
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I like Machado a lot when we signed him and it looks like he’s not going to let me down.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Story by Guerry about the edge defenders up front.

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 4b6e1.html
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Fritz told Guerry that depth across the board was even more critical now because he is using many key starters on special teams. Because of that you can’t expect starters to take as many snaps at their regular positions and maintain full performance.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Saw on social media last night that the team broke camp with a pig roast and pool party with Troy Dannen (I believe it was at his house) ... Twitter used some term like "Best AD ever" or something. I considered posting that here in its own thread just to sit back with some popcorn and watch y'all go at it. :lol:
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I call those “proof of life” videos.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:07 pm Saw on social media last night that the team broke camp with a pig roast and pool party with Troy Dannen (I believe it was at his house) ... Twitter used some term like "Best AD ever" or something. I considered posting that here in its own thread just to sit back with some popcorn and watch y'all go at it. :lol:
Now aren’t you being a bit callow?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Don’t expect too much different from tomorrow’s scrimmage, per Guerry. Mostly a housekeeping article.

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 94f98.html
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tjtlja wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:36 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:07 pm Saw on social media last night that the team broke camp with a pig roast and pool party with Troy Dannen (I believe it was at his house) ... Twitter used some term like "Best AD ever" or something. I considered posting that here in its own thread just to sit back with some popcorn and watch y'all go at it. :lol:
Now aren’t you being a bit callow?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

speaking of callow and social media, there is a mass airing of grievances from Manchester United fans in Tulane Football's twitter replies because, to the best I can gather, a Glazer gives us money so we've gotta hear about their problems with them. To what end, I am unclear on that. The Lads aren't very good at being specific, but as you can see they are all hooliganed up about something or other.

Johnny4
Navigator Level

Post by Johnny4 »

1309th WAVE wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:16 pm speaking of callow and social media, there is a mass airing of grievances from Manchester United fans in Tulane Football's twitter replies because, to the best I can gather, a Glazer gives us money so we've gotta hear about their problems with them. To what end, I am unclear on that. The Lads aren't very good at being specific, but as you can see they are all hooliganed up about something or other.

I have a friend that's a big Manchester fan. When I learned of the Glazer connection a decade or so ago, I was excited to tell him about it. I thought this would turn him into a Tulane fan, but instead I was met with a scowl. Apparently, the fans of MU feel that the Glazer's treat the team like their personal piggy bank. So in their minds, it's the poor fans of Manchester that are paying Tom Brady's contract in Tampa Bay, and bankrolling the buffet in the Glazer Club.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny4 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:41 amApparently, the fans of MU feel that the Glazer's treat the team like their personal piggy bank. So in their minds, it's the poor fans of Manchester that are paying Tom Brady's contract in Tampa Bay, and bankrolling the buffet in the Glazer Club.
And they're right, of course. Johnny, you and I know their pain as well... owners who are more worried about money than winning?
But hey,

"Where you gonna go?"
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:28 am
Johnny4 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:41 amApparently, the fans of MU feel that the Glazer's treat the team like their personal piggy bank. So in their minds, it's the poor fans of Manchester that are paying Tom Brady's contract in Tampa Bay, and bankrolling the buffet in the Glazer Club.
And they're right, of course. Johnny, you and I know their pain as well... owners who are more worried about money than winning?
But hey,

"Where you gonna go?"
Come on Mr. Glazer, ante up for the Big 12, ACC, PAC12, etc.
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

No, they aren't right. They are just another example of idle people complaining about the spending habits of others. It's revolting and driven by envy. These people are whining levelers.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Wandering Quaker wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:58 am
No, they aren't right. They are just another example of idle people complaining about the spending habits of others. It's revolting and driven by envy. These people are whining levelers.
What I meant was they are right, that the Glazers bought the team and can do what they want. As in, I agree with what you wrote.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I am pretty sick and tired (and I'm basically a Twitter noob) already with the Glazersout excrement on Tulane sports team twits
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

How long have you been writing headlines for the New York Post?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:14 am I am pretty sick and tired (and I'm basically a Twitter noob) already with the Glazersout excrement on Tulane sports team twits
JMac, what do they say?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

tjtlja wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:12 pm
Johnny Mac wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:14 am I am pretty sick and tired (and I'm basically a Twitter noob) already with the Glazersout excrement on Tulane sports team twits
JMac, what do they say?
Anything the Glazers own or are prominently involved with, the angry United fans are there. Tulane’s Twitter accounts are as nothing to say, the Buccaneers official account.