AAC Conference Tournament

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Re: AAC Conference Tournament

Unread post by LawGreenie »

If we can get by Cincinnati (big if), we have a chance to win a driver's seat game for the first time since the 2008 regional in Tallahassee, where we beat Bucknell, who had upset FSU.

We haven't won a driver's seat game in conference tournament play since 2005. CUSA did "pod play" for a few years, but I don't recall our record in money games being good in that format either.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

Roller, if we make it to Omaha, I’ll come pick you up and drive you there
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

FW wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:09 pm Roller, if we make it to Omaha, I’ll come pick you up and drive you there
You'd have to backtrack, so I'll meet you halfway.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

LawGreenie wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:34 am If we can get by Cincinnati (big if), we have a chance to win a driver's seat game for the first time since the 2008 regional in Tallahassee, where we beat Bucknell, who had upset FSU.

We haven't won a driver's seat game in conference tournament play since 2005. CUSA did "pod play" for a few years, but I don't recall our record in money games being good in that format either.
Cincinnati coach mentioned as replacement for Ohio St coach that was ousted today. Maybe they will be distracted
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

9 AM start in what I imagine will be an almost completely empty stadium. Is the early start an advantage for the starting pitchers, hitters or irrelevant?

Their starter shut us down when we played them. We need a good start from Carmouche and to get to their starter early. Lose this game and we are done. No way do we have enough pitching to get through the losers bracket. Win and we probably still don’t have enough pitching, but at least there would be a fighting chance.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

In the non sequitur of the year, with a good 50 spectators occupying a several thousand seat stadium, the AAC Tournament is sponsored by Ticketsmarter.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

8-1 final. We left a ton of runners on early and they put it away by hitting home runs to left with wind blowing out. Mercifully this will be over soon and we can bring in a new coach.
Last edited by NJwave on Tue May 24, 2022 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

NJwave wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:44 am 8-1 final. We didn’t show up. Mercifully this will be over soon and we can bring in a new coach.
It will be interesting to see how quickly the role is filled. I hope it's not until after the regionals.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

I do if it means we get a D1 HC who gets his team this year into NCAAs.

With luck, he brings a current player or two with him like the Arizona guy did for LSU last year
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

I doubt it will be filled until after the regionals
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Unread post by CletusRelm »

Who is the coach from Texas State (Sunbelt Conference). The AAC may be an attractive switch for that coach if he is any good.

Could he possibly be a good fit at TU although he may not know how to handle TU's high cost for education, ie handling scholarships?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

CletusRelm wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:24 pm Who is the coach from Texas State (Sunbelt Conference). The AAC may be an attractive switch for that coach if he is any good.

Could he possibly be a good fit at TU although he may not know how to handle TU's high cost for education, ie handling scholarships?
That's Steven Trout. He has been mentioned around the forum before. He's a young (37) up and comer and a hot name on the market right now. He has a Jim Schlossnagle connection. Also played at tcu which may give him a little private school insight.

As you point out a move from Texas st to Tulane comes with some institutional challenges. He has also only been a head coach for 3 seasons one of which was the covid year. His 2021 squad wasn't very good but obviously they are killing it this year.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Justin Hill from McNeese St. is in the mix.
We deserve so much better
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

wavedom wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:16 pm Justin Hill from McNeese St. is in the mix.
The overall results appear modest.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

GSx wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:02 pm
wavedom wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:16 pm Justin Hill from McNeese St. is in the mix.
I just said he's in the mix not saying he should get it.
Therealkp
Head Trainer

Unread post by Therealkp »

wavedom wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:08 pm
Finally put Lambert in. Minder 0-7 The only Green Wave player to not get a hit. Put literally anyone there or move some guys around the field. You will not survive playing guys for defense. You have got to get someone in the lineup who can hit regardless of their defense. Ulhman has a long way to go to be considered a HC. A long way!! I like the shakeup in the lineup, but why has he waited so long since he took over? You can really see how terrible Jewett was with the small ball Tulane did today. He didn’t play to win.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

Great effort today. They could have easily mailed it in, but they didn't. Banks is going to be so darn good. Hopefully it is at Tulane.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

We play again on Friday at 1:00 (Eastern) against either ECU or Cincy.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

Therealkp wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:38 pm
Finally put Lambert in. Minder 0-7 The only Green Wave player to not get a hit. Put literally anyone there or move some guys around the field. You will not survive playing guys for defense. You have got to get someone in the lineup who can hit regardless of their defense. Ulhman has a long way to go to be considered a HC. A long way!! I like the shakeup in the lineup, but why has he waited so long since he took over? You can really see how terrible Jewett was with the small ball Tulane did today. He didn’t play to win.
Uhlman would need to win the national championship to be considered
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

I’m not sure who you are using over Minder at this point. Neither Hebert nor Morrow have hit. Lambert is hitting below .200. I’m glad he did some nice things today but it’s hard to fault Jewett or Uhlman for not using him much.

Linn, Groff and Englehard are all injured. There is no magic button for Uhlman to push. The best he can do is mix up the order of the lineup and try and generate runs. He is trying to do that.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

No one said Uhlman should get it . Hell no one said he should even get consideration. Not sure what you intended with that response to what I posted.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Good to see them come back and win. Robinson pitched well last Saturday and only went 5. Time to follow it up with another good start on Friday.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

wavedom wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:23 pm Good to see them come back and win. Robinson pitched well last Saturday and only went 5. Time to follow it up with another good start on Friday.
who is next man up for that situation?
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:27 pm
wavedom wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:23 pm Good to see them come back and win. Robinson pitched well last Saturday and only went 5. Time to follow it up with another good start on Friday.
who is next man up for that situation?
Could be Johnny Wholestaff at that point. Robinson is only good for 4-5 innings so we will have to go to the pen at some point. We can hope Banks can pitch effectively, but his bat is starting to heat up and we can’t afford to take him out of the lineup.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Therealkp
Head Trainer

Unread post by Therealkp »

wavedom wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:21 pm
No one said Uhlman should get it . Hell no one said he should even get consideration. Not sure what you intended with that response to what I posted.
I was agreeing with you. We are on the same page. I know I came across rather harsh in the beginning, but I had enough of Jewett. There are some folks on this forum who I have seen love Tulane baseball like I have always loved it. I’m excited to see who they choose. Hell I wish I could interview them. I guarantee I would ask all the right questions like most of you guys. We need to put together a list of Google search type questions these coaches have failed to know. I also have my own personal list of coaches I would love to see come to Tulane, but most of them love where they live and are either wanting to retire or raising young kids in a smaller town. I would rather see these young men get a coach who isn’t trying to be buddies with their players. This coaching staff you can tell are buddies with their players. These young men need a mentor who believes in them and will go to war with them, but you have to first have a coach who has been to war. Praying for a coach who is a good solid person first.