Spring Scrimmage News

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Re: Spring Scrimmage News

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:20 pm As I said above the poor OL play wasn't just in the spring game. The reports on the scrimmages during camp were that the DL was dominating the OL.
Yes, our OL hasn't been good and certainly hasn't been as good as our DL. This isn't exactly news and nothing was going to change that from December to March.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

long green wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:00 am Actually, in the Fritz era we’ve had three college transfers on the OL before Ray. All of them, including Ray, are grads. They are Knighton, Montano, and Knutson. Ray’s time at Colorado matches up more closely with Knutson’s time at UVa. If Ray is close to that level it will be a real boost wherever he lines up.

I think some have forgotten that Tuggle started 8 or 9 games in 2020, making six the number of guys we have with lots of starting experience. We’ll see what Naghavi can do with that.
Fisher from South Alabama was the best OL transfer we have gotten under WF. He suffered an ankle injury late in camp but once he got healthy he was good for us. That's the model we need to follow. Go look at schools in lower conferences and look for someone who has started for three years and been all conference.
We deserve so much better
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

ml wave wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:36 am
wavedom wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:20 pm As I said above the poor OL play wasn't just in the spring game. The reports on the scrimmages during camp were that the DL was dominating the OL.
Yes, our OL hasn't been good and certainly hasn't been as good as our DL. This isn't exactly news and nothing was going to change that from December to March.
Seems to be news here to some. Better transfers and better coaching should make a difference from December to March. Or are you saying spring practices are meaningless and should be done away with?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

wavedom wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:37 am
long green wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:00 am Actually, in the Fritz era we’ve had three college transfers on the OL before Ray. All of them, including Ray, are grads. They are Knighton, Montano, and Knutson. Ray’s time at Colorado matches up more closely with Knutson’s time at UVa. If Ray is close to that level it will be a real boost wherever he lines up.

I think some have forgotten that Tuggle started 8 or 9 games in 2020, making six the number of guys we have with lots of starting experience. We’ll see what Naghavi can do with that.
Fisher from South Alabama was the best OL transfer we have gotten under WF. He suffered an ankle injury late in camp but once he got healthy he was good for us. That's the model we need to follow. Go look at schools in lower conferences and look for someone who has started for three years and been all conference.
Should be a model for many positions you would think. Kicker is another that could be improved via this model.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Fisher! Crap. That’s four before Ray, and all grads.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

As far as the OL killing our QB's don't know if Pratt was hurt in the pocket or on one of his refuse to slide runs. Ibeita was hurt trying to run over the Morgan St S at the goal line he did score. Horton was hurt in the pocket.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Pratt was hurt in the pocket. Again and again. Played through most of it.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

wavedom wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:40 am
Seems to be news here to some. Better transfers and better coaching should make a difference from December to March. Or are you saying spring practices are meaningless and should be done away with?
First off, some great conversation. Secondly, Wavedom you are exactly right. Where is the development, is spring important, why do we recruit the same guy over and over. The one thing I don’t get at all is only signing 3 OL in the latest class. Yes, we have added a piece, but knowing all the issues and the lack of depth, why didn’t we take at a minimum of 5.

OL, WR, and K were our biggest priorities and we didn’t address two of them. I don’t understand. I wonder if they have thought about moving some DL to the offensive side of the ball. Something must be done or we are going to come up short again.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

When was our coach hired and when did any transfers join the team?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:37 am

Agree totally.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

ml wave wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:03 pm
My response was in general as regards spring practices. I think most would agree they serve a very useful purpose and we should expect to see the beginnings of improvement. As to this current camp we had yet another OL coach bail on us. Is that strictly coincidence or did they see what they had gotten themselves into and said I have to get the hell out of here to save my career? We'll never know. Camp was pushed back for the new coach to come in and get familiar. He was here the whole spring including an almost two week break to review film and further evaluate what he was working with.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:11 pm
ml wave wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:03 pm
My response was in general as regards spring practices. I think most would agree they serve a very useful purpose and we should expect to see the beginnings of improvement. As to this current camp we had yet another OL coach bail on us. Is that strictly coincidence or did they see what they had gotten themselves into and said I have to get the hell out of here to save my career? We'll never know. Camp was pushed back for the new coach to come in and get familiar. He was here the whole spring including an almost two week break to review film and further evaluate what he was working with.
My point is specific to this team and this spring. We've got a new offense, new OL coach, the same players...I don't know what improvements one would expect from December to March given those circumstances (personally I didn't expect any). Hopefully the new offense will give us some help with pass pro, the new coach can make a difference, etc. but those aren't going to be immediate changes.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

The hope certainly is to see some improvement in that time frame. Unfortunately all reports and the spring game didn't indicate any. I have said above that the coaches have the opportunity to scheme around the clear deficiencies our current linemen have. To have a successful season they'll need to be RichRodesque to do so. I'm certainly pulling for them.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I would argue Montano was equally as good as Fisher if not a tick better.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

We'll have to agree to disagree there. When Fisher went out with his injury the line play went down. It got noticeably better when he came back.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:50 pm The hope certainly is to see some improvement in that time frame. Unfortunately all reports and the spring game didn't indicate any. I have said above that the coaches have the opportunity to scheme around the clear deficiencies our current linemen have. To have a successful season they'll need to be RichRodesque to do so. I'm certainly pulling for them.
The coach just got here!!
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Is there anyone on the board that can give some sort of scouting report on each OL and do they have AAC ability (is the OL considered to be a contributor)? Anything anyone can offer, please do so. It would be an interesting conversation. Here is the list of players -

Haynesworth
Thomas
Remetich
Claybrook
Green
Tuggle
Lombardi
Lillibridge
Fort
Solomon
Burns
Marcus
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Nik Hogan was listed with the OL before the Spring Game. That makes 12 scholarship OL before the additions of Ray and the two other HS signees. Unless there’s another transfer we have 15 going into the season. The past two years we carried a notably larger # of scholarship players there.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

LG, I was looking at the numbers and we currently have more DL than OL. If we use a rotation of 8-9 DL, I would give a long look at any kid that wants to play now the opportunity to try out his skills at OL. In most instances, they would be more athletic and athleticism is one of the traits our OL is missing.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

ml wave wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:57 pm
wavedom wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:50 pm The hope certainly is to see some improvement in that time frame. Unfortunately all reports and the spring game didn't indicate any. I have said above that the coaches have the opportunity to scheme around the clear deficiencies our current linemen have. To have a successful season they'll need to be RichRodesque to do so. I'm certainly pulling for them.
They delayed practice for him. Then after two weeks of practice they broke for two weeks giving him plenty of time to study their film to see what they had. More importantly the OC was here all semester working with them to teach them the offense and what blocking schemes they would be using. But hey you don't believe spring practice should exist as nothing can be accomplished in 15 practices.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:20 pm
They delayed practice for him. Then after two weeks of practice they broke for two weeks giving him plenty of time to study their film to see what they had. More importantly the OC was here all semester working with them to teach them the offense and what blocking schemes they would be using. But hey you don't believe spring practice should exist as nothing can be accomplished in 15 practices.
They delayed practice lol. He arrived literally two days before practice started. Can't believe the OL didn't dominate!
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

ml wave wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:22 am
They delayed practice lol. He arrived literally two days before practice started. Can't believe the OL didn't dominate!
Practice was delayed for a few weeks to get the staff together. Then as I said he had two weeks in the middle of spring practice to get up to speed. Plus you ignore the fact that the offense and its blocking schemes had been being put in since January. So no excuse to not see some progress by the end of spring practice.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:25 pm
Practice was delayed for a few weeks to get the staff together. Then as I said he had two weeks in the middle of spring practice to get up to speed. Plus you ignore the fact that the offense and its blocking schemes had been being put in since January. So no excuse to not see some progress by the end of spring practice.
The OL coach got to New Orleans on Sunday night before practice started Tuesday morning. Maybe 36 hours. I'm shocked that a problem that has plagued us basically since we moved to the AAC wasn't fixed in a month.

Questions on blocking schemes...how do you think the schemes were affected by the departure of the first OL coach? Does the OL coach have say so in the scheme or are they just implementing the OC's plan? Also, and this one is largely rhetorical, have you considered that maybe the schemes aren't our main issue?
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

ml wave wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:48 pm
The OL coach got to New Orleans on Sunday night before practice started Tuesday morning. Maybe 36 hours. I'm shocked that a problem that has plagued us basically since we moved to the AAC wasn't fixed in a month.

Questions on blocking schemes...how do you think the schemes were affected by the departure of the first OL coach? Does the OL coach have say so in the scheme or are they just implementing the OC's plan? Also, and this one is largely rhetorical, have you considered that maybe the schemes aren't our main issue?
The OC is going to design the offense like RR did when he schemed around our OL issues. Talent is definitely the main issue. A part of the solution is a good OC scheming around those deficiencies. No one said everything should be fixed by the end of camp. What's been said is that it is concerning that no progress was evident.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:29 pm
ml wave wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:48 pm

The OC is going to design the offense like RR did when he schemed around our OL issues. Talent is definitely the main issue. A part of the solution is a good OC scheming around those deficiencies. No one said everything should be fixed by the end of camp. What's been said is that it is concerning that no progress was evident.
No one said spring practice shouldn't exist either so I guess we're even.

It's also possible that the goal of spring practice was not to scheme for the best OL showing in drills or the spring game but maybe to use it to evaluate individual/unit/personnel deficiencies that they can use the next 4 months to figure out.