Tulane @ UCF

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
doc
President's Circle

Tulane @ UCF

Post by doc »

I have no idea how this game will play out. UCF has been wildly inconsistent. They are still on the Tournament bubble and are very talented. They have beaten Miami and Michigan this year. Recently they lost by 24 at USF, and then came from 20 down in the second half to win at ECU. They shoot 3’s in bunches and have athletic backcourt players and wings. I hope Tulane can win this game on defense.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Tulane @ UCF

Post by PeteRasche »

doc wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:35 pm I have no idea how this game will play out...
... wildly inconsistent...
... They shoot 3’s in bunches and have athletic backcourt players and wings....
This all sounds really familiar. I feel like I've watched a team like that before.

(except, ya know, the whole "bubble team" part)
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:39 pm
doc wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:35 pm I have no idea how this game will play out...
This all sounds really familiar. I feel like I've watched a team like that before.

Every team we face seems to make 3s in bunches so it doesn’t bode well for us.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

waverider wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:44 am [quote=PeteRasche post_id=821422 time=<a href="tel:1642819188">1642819188</a> user_id=749]
[quote=doc post_id=821421 time=<a href="tel:1642818908">1642818908</a> user_id=83]
I have no idea how this game will play out...

[/quote]

Every team we face seems to make 3s in bunches so it doesn’t bode well for us.
[/quote]

It’s the nature of college basketball today. Everybody shoots a lot of 3s. It’s beating a dead horse but it is why I think you have to switch up your defenses. Even Syracuse seems to be struggling by playing their 2-3 zone exclusively. I’ve seen them play a few times this year and their players don’t have their hands up on defense and are nowhere as active as in past years. The difficulty of rebounding out of a zone doesn’t help either.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Don’t know how game will finish but Tulane has an 11 point lead midway in second half. I’ll give props where they are due: at least to this point in second half, Hunter has way outcoached Dawkins.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Baywave1 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:26 pm Don’t know how game will finish but Tulane has an 11 point lead midway in second half. I’ll give props where they are due: at least to this point in second half, Hunter has way outcoached Dawkins.
Then UCF promptly runs off a 14-0 run
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Thread on Attom...
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Once again, zero points in the last 2 minutes (okay, Cook hit a half court shot at the buzzer when it was too late). We lose after a 13 point lead.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:57 pm Once again, zero points in the last 2 minutes (okay, Cook hit a half court shot at the buzzer when it was too late). We lose after a 13 point lead.
And as predicted, couldn’t defend the 3pt shot.
Tulane Greenbackers

NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

We are clueless down the stretch of games. We have no idea what we want to do. 5-25 from 3 and yet we keep chucking them up. Zone defense allows teams to go on huge runs and we can’t rebound out of it.

We were giving them fits by pressing and completely stopped doing it when we went cold.

Hunter is as bad an in game coach as I have ever seen.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

This team deserves better. I gave them no chance and they were running away with it before the undisciplined offensive approach just kicked us in the teeth. Hunter has given us the talent to beat anyone in the league but his game day coaching, defensive approach, and just throwing up 3 after 3 is killing us. Just turn the coaching over to your assistants. Please.
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

NJwave wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:01 pm We are clueless down the stretch of games. We have no idea what we want to do. 5-25 from 3 and yet we keep chucking them up. Zone defense allows teams to go on huge runs and we can’t rebound out of it.

We were giving them fits by pressing and completely stopped doing it when we went cold.

Hunter is as bad an in game coach as I have ever seen.
consequently, UCF got back in the game by pressing.. and they never stopped
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:06 pmJust turn the coaching over to your assistants. Please.
I don't know if you watched the game but if not, go to the Attom board and look at my first post (second overall in the thread). This is what the announcers said in the first few minutes of the game.
Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Post by Charlie Dunn »

No offense the last 10 minutes. Another game we could have won if we could just make a bucket.
Marathon Wave
President's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

Is it something that gets in players' heads? We've won couple of close games by playing well down the stretch. Now, smu and this one. Maybe Hunter needs to go to locker room with 2 mins left.
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

I am disappointed by the loss, but we took a top 70 team to the wire on the road. Tulane has been competitive in every game this season. This team is undersized but always competes. The improvement in the last couple of months is obvious. Coleman being out today did not help. I still think we will finish 6th or possibly 7th in the league this year as I predicted before the season. Baker is looking more comfortable. James need to learn to take the contact at the rim and get to the line, instead of falling away from the contact. I still think the nucleus is there and the future looks bright. I remember Pete’s Sophomore season. I think we were 15-13, but we competed in almost every game. The next season was magical.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

doc wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:23 pm I am disappointed by the loss, but we took a top 70 team to the wire on the road. Tulane has been competitive in every game this season. This team is undersized but always competes. The improvement in the last couple of months is obvious. Coleman being out today did not help. I still think we will finish 6th or possibly 7th in the league this year as I predicted before the season. Baker is looking more comfortable. James need to learn to take the contact at the rim and get to the line, instead of falling away from the contact. I still think the nucleus is there and the future looks bright. I remember Pete’s Sophomore season. I think we were 15-13, but we competed in almost every game. The next season was magical.
Hunter has not shown much interest in a true center since he has been at Tulane. Any reason to think he will try to find a center?

Do you think a team playing exclusively a match up zone can win consistently in a league like the AAC?

Do you think his in game coaching is good enough to win consistently?

Hunter deserves credit for bringing in talented players. I'm just not sure I would answer yes to any of my questions.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

doc wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:23 pm I remember Pete’s Sophomore season. I think we were 15-13, but we competed in almost every game. The next season was magical.
You're counting on everyone returning, as they did in those days. Unfortunately this isn't 1991. These days almost every team reboots every year.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Charlie Dunn wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:37 pm No offense the last 10 minutes. Another game we could have won if we could just make a bucket.
Part of the problem is that our best 3 players either foul out or play nearly 40 minutes with little in the tank left by the end of the game.

The marriage to the zone defense is another factor as it has us playing catch-up when the opponent starts making 3s over the zone.

One area that has been improving is points in the paint. Right before blowing the 13 point lead, we were out-scoring them about 30-16 in the paint.
Tulane Greenbackers