Thamel reports our new OC will be Jim Svoboda

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Re: Thamel reports our new OC will be Jim Svoboda

Post by Wave Revival »

All I know is the guy we had who was the OC at Notre Dame was a disappointment and did nothing to improve Pratt. Remember, RichRod came from an NAIA school. Hopefully, this guy ignites the offense and clicks with our QBs.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

There's good football coaches of all ages/backgrounds/levels of football. There's coaches that would be good at one school but not good under a different set of circumstances at another. None of us have enough information to be able to evaluate these hires effectively. Doesn't make for stimulating message board conversation, but oh well.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

It’s going to be a long offseason. Hopefully basketball keeps winning and baseball doesn’t suck.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Long's hire excited me and a lot of others. It can't be said that Svoboda excites anyone so let's order the rings, T-shirts and banner now.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

Like ml wave. I first thought of Ron Svoboda.

We needed a QB whisperer. I'm not concerned about age. Let's see what he does.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Wandering Quaker wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:54 pm Like ml wave. I first thought of Ron Svoboda.

Wasn't Ron Swoboda the Baby Cakes' manager?
STOP BUNTING gaddammit!!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Wandering Quaker wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:54 pm Like ml wave. I first thought of Ron Svoboda.
And you both spelled it incorrectly. :mrgreen:
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:19 pm
For some reason I just think of

STOP BUNTING gaddammit!!
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Johnny Mac wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:03 am
wavedom wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:02 am Too conservative- https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/articl ... 225840.php
14 years ago
Hunter is still doing the same things from longer ago than that. Notice he never worked at the D1 level again. Till now all these years later.
We deserve so much better
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

gerryb323 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:16 pm

No. He was an announcer for them. He's famous for his sliding catch for the Miracle Mets.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

wavedom wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:52 pm
gerryb323 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:16 pm

No. He was an announcer for them. He's famous for his sliding catch for the Miracle Mets.
Ah right, I knew he was affiliated in some way. Makes more sense that he called a few of our games
STOP BUNTING gaddammit!!
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Seems like a decent hire with potential. Not a home run, but not an obvious loser either. My biggest question is if this is the guy, what took so long? It makes me wonder if we were chasing bigger fish and got turned down; he seems a bit like someone we would settle for. Certainly, he has been available for quite awhile.

Again, I don't hate the hire and I'm willing to give it a chance. Just curious that after all this time we end up here.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:19 pm
I wouldn't go that far.
Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Luvs da Wave »

Rather than speculate, I prefer to trust that our coach got the guy he wanted.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Kelly Comarda has a pretty good write-up on Coach Svoboda on the FTW blog/email newsletter.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
swwave
Rookie

Post by swwave »

Great piece on the X's and O's of our new coach.

https://fearthewave.substack.com/p/new- ... oordinator
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

So when will WF have a press conference to announce and explain all these hires?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

He won't. At some point the school will out out a press release announcing the hires, probably more than one. These will feature quotes from Fritz. He'll probably have everyone together at the second NSD but because of lingering COVID restrictions there won't be a public function to introduce them to local fans like there has been in the past.

I'd suggest making some of the new coaches available to be interviewed on the FTW podcast and on the streaming of the upcoming NSD.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
Marathon Wave
President's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

wavedom wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:02 am Too conservative- https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/articl ... 225840.php
Too conservative in play calling or number of points scored?

From 2016 - 2019 (4 yrs) UCLA has had losing seasons. Wonder if the OC was too conservative.
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Marathon Wave
President's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

GretnaGrn wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:01 pm Seems like a decent hire with potential. Not a home run, but not an obvious loser either. My biggest question is if this is the guy, what took so long? It makes me wonder if we were chasing bigger fish and got turned down; he seems a bit like someone we would settle for. Certainly, he has been available for quite awhile.

Again, I don't hate the hire and I'm willing to give it a chance. Just curious that after all this time we end up here.
I have to agree, GG. Just was thinking Fritz' pick wouldn't be from DII. Although, he does have experience.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Marathon Wave wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:18 pm

From 2016 - 2019 (4 yrs) UCLA has had losing seasons. Wonder if the OC was too conservative.
Just stated what the article said about the issue being him being too conservative in play calling which led to low scoring out put. He was long gone before 2016.
Marathon Wave
President's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

wavedom wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:24 pm

Just stated what the article said about the issue being him being too conservative in play calling which led to low scoring out put. He was long gone before 2016.
I read the article. Thanks for finding it. It doesn't say much else. I'd take conservative play calling all day long if we go undefeated. Just wanted to point out ucla hasn't been too good as of late. COVID season, 2020, I think they were 3-4. So, maybe OC was not conservative, so he stays, but they did win many games.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Marathon Wave wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:31 pm

I read the article. Thanks for finding it. It doesn't say much else. I'd take conservative play calling all day long if we go undefeated. Just wanted to point out ucla hasn't been too good as of late. COVID season, 2020, I think they were 3-4. So, maybe OC was not conservative, so he stays, but they did win many games.
Conservative play calling has done nothing for us. I like winning. We need to run a modern offense that knows how to use the passing game. The game has changed.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

UCLA hasn’t been too good of late?

True but the Blue Sissies were good enough to give Coach Scooby O a prepaid $18 million vacation.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:57 pm

UCLA hasn’t been too good of late?

True but the Blue Sissies were good enough to give Coach Scooby O a prepaid $18 million vacation.
You mean the Louisiana Gene Chizik variant?
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt