Other coaching changes?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Other coaching changes?

Post by PeteRasche »

Posted on Facebook by someone who probably knows:
The Special Teams Analyst was let go and so was Coach Spears. I've heard that they are going to go with an actual Special Teams Coach rather than an analyst and that they are looking for someone to replace Spears that can train these boys up depending on their positions rather than one overall training program.
Presumably "Coach Spears" is strength coach Speer... He's still listed on the official site (note, Long is already removed and if anyone had "special teams" in their title they are gone too). No idea to truth of this, just sharing it since it was on Facebook (effectively public).
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Re: Other coaching changes?

Post by 1309th WAVE »

I've heard it from more than one sauce so yes I'd say Speer is gone
kind of an odd sacrificial pink slip to me, I never thought conditioning was the problem per se
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Well, our horrendous record in close games might suggest conditioning issues.
Anyway, he's a Fritz original, so I doubt it's sacrificial.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

GSx wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:27 pm Well, our horrendous record in close games might suggest conditioning issues.
Anyway, he's a Fritz original, so I doubt it's sacrificial.
Our OL looked weak, our DL had trouble rushing the passer, we couldn’t tackle well and we had a lot of injuries of varying severity during the season. All things that point to needing better strength and conditioning.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I am curious if the analyst was fired because it was his analysis that suggested Jha Quan Jackson attempt to return kicks rather than just take the ball on the 25? I would love to know the statistic of how many drives started short of the 25 this year... I would wager that over 90% of the kicks we returned were short of the 25.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
occasionally
Navigator Level

Post by occasionally »

Jesse Schmitt was the special teams analyst. He's still on the directory.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

occasionally wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:59 am Jesse Schmitt was the special teams analyst. He's still on the directory.
I like his resume.
Missing FGs really probably isn't mostly a coaching issue (although Barry Lamb helped Cairo a lot in CJ's first year; another good coach CJ had early on).
The cover teams were still solid.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Johnny Mac wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:18 am I am curious if the analyst was fired because it was his analysis that suggested Jha Quan Jackson attempt to return kicks rather than just take the ball on the 25? I would love to know the statistic of how many drives started short of the 25 this year... I would wager that over 90% of the kicks we returned were short of the 25.
Analytically are you better off having a big return one out of ten times? One out of five times? Does it matter if you are usually north of the 20? Of the 15?

I’m sure like going for it on fourth down there is some happy medium here that generally rewards aggressiveness but not recklessness.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

GSx wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:37 am
occasionally wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:59 am Jesse Schmitt was the special teams analyst. He's still on the directory.
I like his resume.
Missing FGs really probably isn't mostly a coaching issue (although Barry Lamb helped Cairo a lot in CJ's first year; another good coach CJ had early on).
Yeah I thought Special teams were good. The place-kicking issue lies squrely on Glover who was good then just oddly became very inconsistant the past two years.

The story on Glover's FG kicking goes like this
2017 - 8/9, 88%
2018 - 10/13, 77%
2019 - 13/17, 76%
2020 - 9/15, 60%
2021 - 5/8, 62%

The problem is he was competent and fine until 2020 when he regressed not to return to form some reason. Its kinda crazy, what kicker hits above 75% his frist three years then drops off. Kicker isn't a position you have mulitple guys on the roster ready to fill in. Hopefully the newest recruit can come in and fill the slot.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Players slump for lots of reasons. Howard could be a good qb as he showed at UTM this year. He just didn’t play well for Tulane. Fritz had depth and used Pratt effectively. He obviously didn’t think he he had someone better than a slumping M. Glover so he kept playing him.

As noted by others already that raises continued concerns for next year. Maybe we see a one year wonder from the transfer portal?
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Within a season it's hard to change, but Fritz never did go get someone else after the seasons. Even when Glover's percentages were decent, he had limited range. And even when his percentages were decent, he missed a chippie for the win, a key tell.
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

GSx wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:16 am Within a season it's hard to change, but Fritz never did go get someone else after the seasons. Even when Glover's percentages were decent, he had limited range. And even when his percentages were decent, he missed a chippie for the win, a key tell.
The problem is that they recruited poorly. Kristin Esnard was the big kicking recruit from last year. Not sure how someone with the following stats could be rated as a 3 star overall prospect and 5 star kicker but this is what we have to work with…

Prior to Tulane: Rated a three-star prospect by 247Sports.com…Went 52-60 on PAT’s in four years on Decatur High School’s team…Also made 17 field goals on 30 attempts, with a long of 54 yards as a senior…Totaled 66 punts for a total of 2,314 yards to average 35.1 per game, with a long of 64 yards…
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:59 am
GSx wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:37 am
I like his resume.
Yeah I thought Special teams were good. The place-kicking issue lies squrely on Glover who was good then just oddly became very inconsistant the past two years.

The story on Glover's FG kicking goes like this
2017 - 8/9, 88%
2018 - 10/13, 77%
2019 - 13/17, 76%
2020 - 9/15, 60%
2021 - 5/8, 62%

The problem is he was competent and fine until 2020 when he regressed not to return to form some reason. Its kinda crazy, what kicker hits above 75% his frist three years then drops off. Kicker isn't a position you have mulitple guys on the roster ready to fill in. Hopefully the newest recruit can come in and fill the slot.
Couple thoughts...he was accurate to start but was only allowed to try short FGs. That leash got a little longer and misses came with it (0/2 on 50+ yarders in '20). Also, you're dealing with small samples here...one gust of wind and that 5/8 is 6/8 (75%). I think he's basically the same kicker he's always been but with probably a stronger leg.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

GSx wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:16 am Within a season it's hard to change, but Fritz never did go get someone else after the seasons. Even when Glover's percentages were decent, he had limited range. And even when his percentages were decent, he missed a chippie for the win, a key tell.
We signed a K last year to redshirt during Glover's last year...that's pretty standard procedure for K/P. You can't always have 2 Ks on scholarship.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

ml wave wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:52 am
We signed a K last year to redshirt during Glover's last year...that's pretty standard procedure for K/P. You can't always have 2 Ks on scholarship.
The kicker signed last year was not a good HS kicker. That's why when Glover was hurt early in the year those walk-on kickers went out before him.
We deserve so much better
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

Baywave1 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:14 am Players slump for lots of reasons. Howard could be a good qb as he showed at UTM this year. He just didn’t play well for Tulane. Fritz had depth and used Pratt effectively. He obviously didn’t think he he had someone better than a slumping M. Glover so he kept playing him.

As noted by others already that raises continued concerns for next year. Maybe we see a one year wonder from the transfer portal?
I feel Fritz more wanted to help Glover get scoring record, since he was so close. Sounds dumb, but only 8 attempts for the year shows me he wasn't too (necessarily) confident in kicker's ability.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:07 pm
Baywave1 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:14 am Players slump for lots of reasons. Howard could be a good qb as he showed at UTM this year. He just didn’t play well for Tulane. Fritz had depth and used Pratt effectively. He obviously didn’t think he he had someone better than a slumping M. Glover so he kept playing him.

I feel Fritz more wanted to help Glover get scoring record, since he was so close. Sounds dumb, but only 8 attempts for the year shows me he wasn't too (necessarily) confident in kicker's ability.
Perhaps or we were trailing by a lot and needed TDs. I'm gonna go with the latter considering how many games we trailed by multiple scores early in the game.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:22 pm

Perhaps or we were trailing by a lot and needed TDs. I'm gonna go with the latter considering how many games we trailed by multiple scores early in the game.
Also because that makes much more sense.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

ml wave wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:47 pm
Poseidon wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:22 pm

Also because that makes much more sense.
Stop kicking!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Jason Rollins is available. Southern U just hired a permanent head coach.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

long green wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:24 pm Jason Rollins is available. Southern U just hired a permanent head coach.
I would definitely give him a call and doesn’t matter what job he gets. His recruiting alone should be worth his salary.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson