New OC speculation

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

New OC speculation

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

With Chip Long gone, we can speculate freely. I know folks have said Joe Brady, but I don't think that's very realistic. Here's who I would call first, GREG Stevens from SELA:

https://lionsports.net/sports/football/ ... evens/3276

SELA had the #1 offense by SP+ in FCS this year. He's got Louisiana ties and has yet to get a shot at FBS. He coaches QBs which is a plus and I think he could help with Louisiana recruiting. The guy's been an OC at several places, so this would not be a Hampton situation.

I'd also look at the OC from Incarnate Word, Cody Crill. Wazzo may have beat us to the punch because it's being reported they are hiring the UIW head coach as their OC. Crill has a long history of record setting offenses going back to his time at the Juco level. UIW went from 1-10 the season before he arrived to a FCS playoff berth in 2018. He's got Texas ties which is another place we need help recruiting plus he has experience coaching OL. Coming from a small private school might also be a plus.

https://uiwcardinals.com/sports/footbal ... crill/2444
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: New OC speculation

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I'll throw one more name up there. Remember Samford putting up 52 on Florida in a losing effort? How about Russ Callaway, OC at Samford? They were fourth in SP+ offense this year. He's had four seasons of highly ranked offenses there and spent time as an analyst (defensive) under Saban. He's a former D2 QB at Valdosta St. so brings that experience with him to boot.

https://samfordsports.com/sports/footba ... laway/1142
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Brady, who was fired today, is probably a long shot. I’m wondering if Brian Kelly gives him a call. I was thinking an FCS OC may be the likely choice.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

waverider wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:46 pm Brady, who was fired today, is probably a long shot. I’m wondering if Brian Kelly gives him a call. I was thinking an FCS OC may be the likely choice.
“Probably a long shot” LOL. Why is he even being mentioned? He’s not coming to Tulane. We would pay him 50% of what he could make in the SEC
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

purplehaz3 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:56 pm
waverider wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:46 pm Brady, who was fired today, is probably a long shot. I’m wondering if Brian Kelly gives him a call. I was thinking an FCS OC may be the likely choice.
“Probably a long shot” LOL. Why is he even being mentioned? He’s not coming to Tulane. We would pay him 50% of what he could make in the SEC
“Definitely a long shot” would have been a better choice of words.
Tulane Greenbackers

purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

I agree with Fear the Wave on this flyer:

Kevin Kelley- Former Presbyterian HC. Look at the offensive numbers with no scholarships…
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Brady rumored to Florida with Napier.
Bring home da Wave!
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

purplehaz3 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:53 pm I agree with Fear the Wave on this flyer:

Kevin Kelley- Former Presbyterian HC. Look at the offensive numbers with no scholarships…
The guy is a personality and has been a head coach for a long time. Hard to see him coming here to OC
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

It's ging to be someone Fritz knows and I don't see CWF willing to go pass heavy, though I wish he would.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:17 am
purplehaz3 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:53 pm I agree with Fear the Wave on this flyer:

The guy is a personality and has been a head coach for a long time. Hard to see him coming here to OC
He was a high school head coach and then coached at FCS Presbyterian for one year with no scholarship players. Why wouldn’t he come here for a lot more money, talented QB, in an awesome city and in a conference which is represented in the playoff?
charlamange8
Navigator Level

Post by charlamange8 »

I am going to throw out 4 names...

Willy Korn - Coastal Carolina's OC (12th Offensive S/P)

Dave Johnson - FSU RB Coach (Former Tulane RB coach, Fmr St. Aug Head Coach)

Cody Crill - UIW OC (They score...ALOT!)

Rob Christophel - Nichols St. OC (In the 2021 spring season, the Colonel offense set program records in total offense per game with 521.6 yards per game and an astounding 48.7 scoring average. Nicholls scored 50 or more points three times in the seven-game season, including twice in Southland Conference play. )

My #1 Pick....

Ryan Carty - Sam Houston st. OC (He's from Sam Houston, of course we gotta get him!)
He helped lead the Bearkats to the 2020 FCS national championship and was not only named the FCS Coordinator of the Year by FootballScoop.com, but was also named to Dave Campbell's Texas Football's "Top 40 Coaches Under 40" list following the year.
The Bearkats average 42.6 points per game, he coaches the QB's and he also recruits Texas so there's the recruiting boost.

Former Tulane guys...who could coach
JP Losman - Sr Offensive Assistant Clemson

Shaun King - We can dream right...I keep asking him to come coach but he's happy in Tampa.
Charles
"Wisdom and the Sword"
1998 C-USA Champions
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price." - Sun Tzu
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

If people didn’t like the production and success levels under Long… don’t look up how Presbyterian did this year
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

1309th WAVE wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:24 am If people didn’t like the production and success levels under Long… don’t look up how Presbyterian did this year
They had a top 5 FCS offense…
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Poseidon wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:26 am I don't see CWF willing to go pass heavy, though I wish he would.
With our O-Line?
I'd amend that to say "I wish we had the O-Line to do so."

purplehaz3 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:14 am
1309th WAVE wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:24 am If people didn’t like the production and success levels under Long… don’t look up how Presbyterian did this year
I think he's noting how they also had the same number of wins we did. Probably because when you don't punt you often give the opponent the ball with an extremely short field.

Hey Char, we can only take that Nicholls guy if he brings you-know-who along as QB! 8)
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Kelly definitely moved the conventional wisdom as teams from NFL on down now go for it much more frequently on fourth down. But that’s still a lot less than doing it almost exclusively like Kelly does.

I root for him because its fun. Everyone enjoys watching home run derbies. But is it a good strategy for continuing success where your opponents aren’t Arkansas high schools?
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:44 am
Poseidon wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:26 am I don't see CWF willing to go pass heavy, though I wish he would.
With our O-Line?

I think he's noting how they also had the same number of wins we did. Probably because when you don't punt you often give the opponent the ball with an extremely short field.

Hey Char, we can only take that Nicholls guy if he brings you-know-who along as QB! 8)
Making him OC doesn’t mean we have to strictly go for it on 4th down. That’s Fritz’s call
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:44 am
With our O-Line?

This will also (artificially?) inflate your offensive statistics.
Radio Wave
President's Circle

Post by Radio Wave »

Fritz has lots of choices for OC. It’s my opinion he likes to control the time of possession, which helps the defense. Probably makes for close games.
Roll Wave, even in the darkness.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I started to include him in my first post above but thought he was an even longer shot than Brady.
Tulane Greenbackers

purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

waverider wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:34 am

I started to include him in my first post above but thought he was an even longer shot than Brady.
Thinking outside the box is exactly what we need. An AAC OC job is significantly better than a non-scholarship, FCS HC job.
wave-em in
President's Circle

Post by wave-em in »

Monitoring names that Auburn media is throwing out for their new OC could provide some options:

1) Dameyune Craig: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dameyune_Craig

2) Mike Bobo, former Auburn OC.

3) Dell McGee: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_McGee
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

purplehaz3 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:48 am

Thinking outside the box is exactly what we need. An AAC OC job is significantly better than a non-scholarship, FCS HC job.
FCS non-scholarship???
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

Poseidon wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:04 pm
purplehaz3 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:48 am

FCS non-scholarship???
That’s right: http://collegesportsinfo.com/2017/11/20 ... eague/amp/

Also, pretty sure Kelley mentioned it in his farewell note.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Post by LawGreenie »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:13 pm I'll throw one more name up there. Remember Samford putting up 52 on Florida in a losing effort? How about Russ Callaway, OC at Samford? They were fourth in SP+ offense this year. He's had four seasons of highly ranked offenses there and spent time as an analyst (defensive) under Saban. He's a former D2 QB at Valdosta St. so brings that experience with him to boot.

https://samfordsports.com/sports/footba ... laway/1142
Callaway left Samford, did a year at LSU, and is now a New York Giants assistant. Still an interesting consideration—and that Giants staff is probably all getting fired.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Many here have pointed out good candidates that are at lower postions or lower paying schools. It simply proves how many options are acutally out there if we can find promising first look candidates with short searches. The same goes for the DC posisition that should be open.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy