Chip Long is going to Georgia Tech

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Cornerstone

Chip Long is going to Georgia Tech

Post by waverider »

Fifth Quarter GT on Twitter is saying that Long is going to be named OC.

He was listed as a “confirmed interview” in a thread on a GT message board with some thinking he’s in the lead.
Last edited by waverider on Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Re: Chip Long to Georgia Tech?

Post by purplehaz3 »

waverider wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:14 pm Fifth Quarter GT on Twitter is saying that Long is going to be named OC.

He was listed as a “confirmed interview” in a thread on a GT message board with some thinking he’s in the lead.
He probably thinks he’s better than us and to some extent he might be. When receivers drop balls and there’s no OL, no OC is going to have success. Good luck to him and I’m sure he will do very well like he did at Notre Dame
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

He's going to work for a HC in a total win or die situation.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

long green wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:47 pm He's going to work for a HC in a total win or die situation.
A lot of comments were questioning why he would go since “the whole staff will be gone next year”. Another person pointed out that Tulane was 2-10 to which someone informed him that our offense was still ranked higher than GT’s.
Tulane Greenbackers

krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

GT is in desperation mode. Yeah it was a massive rebuild going from Johnson to Collins but they probably expected to win more than 3 games in year 3, especially given the current state of the ACC
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Their really good rb, jahmyr Gibbs, is in the portal. Expect him to end up somewhere big
speckled trout
Navigator Level

Post by speckled trout »

Can they take Chris Hampton off our hands too?
"You are unique, just like everyone else"
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

speckled trout wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:08 pm Can they take Chris Hampton off our hands too?
Baby steps. :lol:

On a serious note, if this is true I wonder who Fritz would go after. I think there are some FCS OCs that we could get to come here. If I had to guess, it would be someone with Texas ties.

When the “fire x coach” discussions started my first thought was that Fritz would allow the “outgoing” coach to find a new job before before firing him. I have no idea if this is the case with Long, but it wouldn’t surprise me and it isn’t all that bad of a thing.
Tulane Greenbackers

Wavemania
President's Circle

Post by Wavemania »

it is big when you consider Pratt and most of the offense will be on their 3rd OC in 3 years. In fact, may lead him to jump ship and go to S Miss
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Wavemania wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:58 pm it is big when you consider Pratt and most of the offense will be on their 3rd OC in 3 years. In fact, may lead him to jump ship and go to S Miss
He’s not going to Southern Miss, but it is crucial who we hire as I heard a quote from Holgerson today that year 3 should be a QB’s best season (so far).
Tulane Greenbackers

purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

This also could be a coordinated leak from him/his agent trying to get him another contract. GA Tech is a step up from Tulane whether you like that or not.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

1. Is this still just a social media rumor or has it been reported anywhere as actual truth?
2. In light of their recent visit and apparent ongoing attempts to flip the LB, I went back and looked at the story from the Florida paper about how we were outrecruiting all the Florida schools (at the time) with Haggard, Donaldson, and possibly others, and the big thing mentioned was Chip Long. So...
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

there are a lot of good potential OCs out there.. I honestly hope Long gets the job because it makes Fritz's life so much easier. It's clear Fritz needs to fire either Long, or Long's hand picked OL coach... and as someone mentioned, firing coordinators after one year doesn't exactly make a lot of folks comfortable applying for the job.. especially if one is signing onto a 2 and 10 program. That in and of itself is going to take a huge leap of faith for a good coach. With Long gone, you can hope he takes the OL coach with him or you can just fire him under the auspice of allowing the next OC to build his staff of position coaches.

As far as GT wanting Long.. I think his previous body of work is what's making him attractive to that program. Long can just blame our "lack of talent", "injured QB", "WRs that can't catch" or humidity... and GT would overlook 2021 on his resume.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:50 am I honestly hope Long gets the job because it makes Fritz's life so much easier.
Does it, though? How many OC candidates do you think Fritz has on his list, wouldn't it be fair to assume desirability drops as we work down that list, and how often do you think he updates it? Point being, we've burned through several in only a couple of years, so the list has got to be getting "thin". Already last year, we saw him take a guy who was handed to him by Hall (and probably not on the list otherwise) and on the defensive side took a guy who surely wasn't the "clear and outstanding #1 guy for the spot" (and instead was a quick and easy hire).

At some point you have to figure the preference would be for our coordinators to succeed for a couple of years while Fritz maybe looks around, meets guys at camps and on the recruiting trail, watches film, etc., and builds back a list of potential future replacements. The model of replacing guys year after year only works if you're Alabama.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Fritz has said he only hires people he knows or for whom he gets a good recommendation from someone he knows. But he just doesn't seem to know a lot of people.
Pete's probably right that he doesn't many candidates on his list and this probably isn't the best thing for Fitz.

On the other hand, we just went 2-10!!! How could it get any worse?
And, of course, not a word from anyone anywhere about 2-10 and what they hell they are going to do about it.
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

Joe Brady is available. Hope Fritz knows him. ;-)
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

This being reported as official now. People clamoring for Joe Brady but that seems very unlikely. I want us to take the wku approach. Last year they went and raided Houston Baptist, a super effective offense in fcs. They imported the oc, the qb, even some of the wrs. Wku played for their conference title and had one of the best offenses in the nation.

These are the kinds of ocs and players we could go get and would give us tremendous upside going into a 2022 where we MUST have a breakout season
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:05 pm This being reported as official now.
He updated his twitter bio to reflect his new employer

https://mobile.twitter.com/CoachChipLong
Victory is never permanent
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Last 2 ocs weNt onto better things. Might make us desirable?
Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Post by Charlie Dunn »

That is shocking. Wow. Our offense was horrible most of the season. Probably best for both parties but baffled why GT would want him. Wonder what Will Hall thinks of that.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Charlie Dunn wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:05 pm That is shocking. Wow. Our offense was horrible most of the season. Probably best for both parties but baffled why GT would want him. Wonder what Will Hall thinks of that.
A guy like Chip Long was heading to a P5 the first chance he got. That was almost a given considering his climb to ND, fall from grace to an off-field analyst and then taking the path back by starting at a "lowly G5". I felt like you could almost feel the G5 disdain this whole past year. GT (as mentioned above) is likely a one-year stop on a staff that gets fired so he's banking on showing so well next year that he'll get hired at an even-better P5. He clearly considers that a career step that's safer than trying to design plays around a terrible OL, stone-hands WRs, and a shell-shocked QB.
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:16 pm
Charlie Dunn wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:05 pm That is shocking. Wow. Our offense was horrible most of the season. Probably best for both parties but baffled why GT would want him. Wonder what Will Hall thinks of that.
A guy like Chip Long was heading to a P5 the first chance he got. That was almost a given considering his climb to ND, fall from grace to an off-field analyst and then taking the path back by starting at a "lowly G5". I felt like you could almost feel the G5 disdain this whole past year. GT (as mentioned above) is likely a one-year stop on a staff that gets fired so he's banking on showing so well next year that he'll get hired at an even-better P5. He clearly considers that a career step that's safer than trying to design plays around a terrible OL, stone-hands WRs, and a shell-shocked QB.
Pete’s right about everything except Tulane being a “lowly” G5. Lowly G5’s don’t pay their coordinators $700k + per year and Fritz is making $2 million +. We have the money to recruit a bigger name and we should try and do that if it aligns with our squad.
Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Re: Chip Long is going to Georgia Tech

Post by Charlie Dunn »

Man we should be able to hire someone good for $700k. That’s more than some head coach’s in the lower levels make, Frotz should even be willing to chip in some of his $ because this season is make or break.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

purplehaz3 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:59 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:16 pm
Pete’s right about everything except Tulane being a “lowly” G5. Lowly G5’s don’t pay their coordinators $700k + per year and Fritz is making $2 million +. We have the money to recruit a bigger name and we should try and do that if it aligns with our squad.
To be clear, I was opining that I believe ALL G5s are "lowly" in Chip Long's view. I was not saying that they actually are.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Chip Long is going to Georgia Tech

Post by long green »

They sure won't be lowly to him next year.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes