Tulane v Alcorn MBB

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Tulane v Alcorn MBB

Unread post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:04 pm And UCF fans are taking credit for “paving the way” for Cincinnati :roll:
FWIW as the Cincinnati game was ending the announcers started rattling off names of teams that had gone undefeated in the BCS/CFP era and been kept out of contention by the system and Tulane was of course the first mentioned.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Yesterday’s results says more about Alcorn than Tulane. According to Guerry, Alcorn starts the season with 16 straight road games. It pays the athletic budget. Typical for SWAC school. Glad they come to Devlin but not glad when they beat Tulane.

Meanwhile Cross is as streaky as they come. Great game yesterday.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

Tulane started 3 freshmen and 2 sophomores yesterday - many players are still learning
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Any carryover from ejections to roster availability next week against Charleston?
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

Coleman is becoming a player/scorer who can be relied upon. most improved player on the squad so far...along with Kevin Cross (some of the time). And, as far as I can figure, ejection does NOT come with automatic suspension from next game. If DeVon Baker was tagged with the label of fighting perhaps he could get a one-game additional suspension but AAC would have to review the game and mete out that punishment. I doubt that happens.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

doc wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:10 am Tulane started 3 freshmen and 2 sophomores yesterday - many players are still learning
That's misleading and you know it. Yes if the players want to take advantage of the COVID waiver they could be classified as that. Fact is we started 2 juniors and three sophomores. Youth is no excuse in year three. Four of the staters are in their second season under this staff which stayed intact from last season. Maybe by year 10 they'll be good.
We deserve so much better
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

Baywave1 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:16 am Any carryover from ejections to roster availability next week against Charleston?
if I Googled correctly, 1 game suspension for fighting however, for leaving the bench area but NOT participating in the fight calls for ejection but not suspension

So, Baker could be subjected to a suspension for fighting UNLESS he was just assessed a Flagrant 2 and not ejected for fighting.. I think it was just a flagrant 2
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Thanks. Is a shove a punch? Depends I guess. Sort of Ike what is targeting? As one of the football color guys said last night during one of the now interminable video reviews, targeting is now being redefined upwards. Too many players were being arbitrarily ejected.

I support that. I just hate that it took ten minutes to sort it out in the Alcorn game.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:37 amFour of the staters are in their second season under this staff which stayed intact from last season. Maybe by year 10 they'll be good.
I don't know if anyone else watching on TV caught this but the announcers said that Hunter told them that with the current roster and the guys he's now had for more than a year, something to the effect of "now he can finally start putting in all of his defensive scheme." Implication there being that we've only been playing with part of his defensive plan for... I dunno, since he's been here, maybe?
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:32 am
wavedom wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:37 amFour of the staters are in their second season under this staff which stayed intact from last season. Maybe by year 10 they'll be good.
I don't know if anyone else watching on TV caught this but the announcers said that Hunter told them that with the current roster and the guys he's now had for more than a year, something to the effect of "now he can finally start putting in all of his defensive scheme." Implication there being that we've only been playing with part of his defensive plan for... I dunno, since he's been here, maybe?

I did. Hopefully the part he had not implemented was rebounding. Can’t wait for that to be added. One thing that is a little under the radar is how good Walker was defensively. He was a total pest. Cook is a better player but Walker was better defensively.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Ron Hunter has never met an excuse he didn’t like for his teams poor performances.
We deserve so much better
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

Without mentioning names, it is clear from watching that certain players are having difficulty getting into their correct defensive sets.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

wavedom wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:18 pm
Ron Hunter has never met an excuse he didn’t like for his teams poor performances.
That’s the truth.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

doc wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:22 pm Without mentioning names, it is clear from watching that certain players are having difficulty getting into their correct defensive sets.
I found it interesting that the guy whom Hunter has called his "defensive quarterback" and "best defensive player on the team" only played 3 minutes yesterday... Quentin Scott played 2 minutes.

I was glad to see Scott Spencer score some points yesterday.. I hope it continues
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Unread post by purplehaz3 »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:44 pm
doc wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:22 pm Without mentioning names, it is clear from watching that certain players are having difficulty getting into their correct defensive sets.
I found it interesting that the guy whom Hunter has called his "defensive quarterback" and "best defensive player on the team" only played 3 minutes yesterday... Quentin Scott played 2 minutes.

I was glad to see Scott Spencer score some points yesterday.. I hope it continues
Hunter complained about thinking he had COVID the morning of the game. He tested negative so he coached but said he like crap. It could be a valid excuse but as a coach earning around a $1 million, he needs to step it up and stop the excuses. Free throw shooting is awful, rebounding is disgusting and too many turnovers. Those are related to coaching. He has enough talent to win every single one of the games that was was lost.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

purplehaz3 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:53 am

Hunter complained about thinking he had COVID the morning of the game. He tested negative so he coached but said he like crap. It could be a valid excuse but as a coach earning around a $1 million, he needs to step it up and stop the excuses. Free throw shooting is awful, rebounding is disgusting and too many turnovers. Those are related to coaching. He has enough talent to win every single one of the games that was was lost.
We won fairly easily right? He wasn't making excuses, just saying that he was sick.
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Unread post by purplehaz3 »

ml wave wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:13 pm

We won fairly easily right? He wasn't making excuses, just saying that he was sick.
We played against one of the worst teams in the country.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

purplehaz3 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:41 pm

We played against one of the worst teams in the country.
Ok
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

purplehaz3 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:41 pm

We played against one of the worst teams in the country playing its 7th consecutive road game
FTFY