MBB loses to CoC 81-77

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Cornerstone

MBB loses to CoC 81-77

Unread post by waverider »

Went on an 11-0 run* to cut it to 1 with 10 seconds left but a forced shot by Forbes was off the mark and CoC made free throws to seal it.

*yes. We trailed by 12 with a minute or so left.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Re: MBB loses to CoC 81-77

Unread post by NJwave »

Our defense and rebounding are killing us. They had so many open looks and second chance opportunities. Hunter needs to look in the mirror, swallow his pride and play some man to man defense. It would be fine to mix in some zone but playing it exclusively just isn’t working.

Pope and Cross started together but Pope only played 8 minutes. I just don’t get it. He is our only true rebounder.
Last edited by NJwave on Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

You would think he’d notice that his system keeps not working.
Victory is never permanent
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Offensively out rebounded 14-3. We don’t even crash the boards on the offensive end. The combo of Coleman and James produced 22 points. It wasn’t enough.

The season could not begin any worse than it has while Dannen is working on NCAA projects.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

It’s easy to prepare for us knowing we are going to play the same defense all game long. Just like in football you have to switch things up some or your opponent will figure it out.

Because we can’t rebound we get almost no easy baskets. 40 minutes and only 3 offensive rebounds. How is that possible?
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

waverider wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:47 pm Went on an 11-0 run* to cut it to 1 with 10 seconds left but a forced shot by Forbes was off the mark and CoC made free throws to seal it.

Wash. Rinse. REPEAT.

Four out of our last Six games that he refuses to call a timeout and draw up a crucial play on what could be our last possession to win or send to OT - my guess is he doesn’t want to be accountable if the play he draws up doesn’t work:

- Charleston, trailing 77-76, we have the ball with 13 seconds. Doesn’t even want to make sure we take the last shot - as we shoot with 6 seconds left.

- Valpo, trailing 66-64, we have the ball with 29 seconds (shot clock is off. Forbes turns it over with 19 seconds left.

- Toledo, trailing 68-67, we have the ball with 16 seconds off a defensive rebound. We don’t call a timeout and Jalen Cook misses a jumper with 2 seconds left.

- Southern, trailing 73-70, we have the ball with 8 seconds off of a defensive rebound. We don’t call a timeout and Sion James missed a 3-Point Field Goal.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

I called it wrong on Gametracker. I don’t think we had a time out left. Some coaches like to play it out thinking their opponents won’t have time to set up. Personally, if I had a time out I would take it to make sure I got the look I wanted. It’s like we don’t practice what we are going to do in that scenario. At least call some kind of play to get somebody an open look. We keep settling for tough shots.
Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Unread post by Charlie Dunn »

This is ridiculous. An AAC tram should never lose to CofC. I mean we have big time transfers from Bama and LSU. What the hell is going on. CofC's best player is a freshman too.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

How bad does this year have to get for Hunter to be canned?
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

OGSB wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:55 pm You would think he’d notice that his system keeps not working.
He doesn't care.He's at Tulane so he knows the checks will keep coming without any questions.
We deserve so much better
Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Unread post by Charlie Dunn »

Starting to feel like we are cursed!
Wavemania
President's Circle

Unread post by Wavemania »

And watching all the hires by TD and seeing almost every team suck big time, should make some of you nay sayers about Lisa Stockton shut the f--k up. one of our only coaches not hired by this numbnut and at least she has a winning record every year.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Wavemania wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:46 pm And watching all the hires by TD and seeing almost every team suck big time, should make some of you nay sayers about Lisa Stockton shut the f--k up. one of our only coaches not hired by this numbnut and at least she has a winning record every year.
That's all we aspire to huh? NIT every other year? No thanks, I want to see my teams in the tournament now and again. You're just cheering the best of a very low bar. It's possible for Dannens hires to be bad and for Stockton to have underperformed too.

Hopefully she gets it done this year and I am cheering for her to.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

NJwave wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:52 pm Our defense and rebounding are killing us. They had so many open looks and second chance opportunities. Hunter needs to look in the mirror, swallow his pride and play some man to man defense. It would be fine to mix in some zone but playing it exclusively just isn’t working.

Pope and Cross started together but Pope only played 8 minutes. I just don’t get it. He is our only true rebounder.
It didn’t matter that Tulane shot 51% FG and 88% FT because second chance points were 19-2 in favor of Charleston. Wow!
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

wavedom wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:31 pm
OGSB wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:55 pm You would think he’d notice that his system keeps not working.
He doesn't care.He's at Tulane so he knows the checks will keep coming without any questions.
He isn't alone.
Tulane incentivizes this.
Effing ridiculous.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:25 am
Wavemania wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:46 pm And watching all the hires by TD and seeing almost every team suck big time, should make some of you nay sayers about Lisa Stockton shut the f--k up. one of our only coaches not hired by this numbnut and at least she has a winning record every year.
That's all we aspire to huh? NIT every other year? No thanks, I want to see my teams in the tournament now and again. You're just cheering the best of a very low bar. It's possible for Dannens hires to be bad and for Stockton to have underperformed too.

Hopefully she gets it done this year and I am cheering for her to.
That is possible but it's also (very?) possible that whoever Dannen theoretically hires to replace would be a step backwards.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

QuarterbackU wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:06 pm
waverider wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:47 pm Went on an 11-0 run* to cut it to 1 with 10 seconds left but a forced shot by Forbes was off the mark and CoC made free throws to seal it.

Wash. Rinse. REPEAT.

Four out of our last Six games that he refuses to call a timeout and draw up a crucial play on what could be our last possession to win or send to OT - my guess is he doesn’t want to be accountable if the play he draws up doesn’t work:

- Charleston, trailing 77-76, we have the ball with 13 seconds. Doesn’t even want to make sure we take the last shot - as we shoot with 6 seconds left.
If you're losing, you should shoot with time left as it gives you the chance at an offensive rebound or to extend the game further with fouling.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:30 am
NJwave wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:52 pm Our defense and rebounding are killing us. They had so many open looks and second chance opportunities. Hunter needs to look in the mirror, swallow his pride and play some man to man defense. It would be fine to mix in some zone but playing it exclusively just isn’t working.

It didn’t matter that Tulane shot 51% FG and 88% FT because second chance points were 19-2 in favor of Charleston. Wow!
28-54 from the floor with 19 turnovers. Basically 73 chances to score from the field and we made 28 shots. Looking at this way we scored baskets on just over 38% of our potential chances. Going 15-17 vs their 11-16 from the line made up 4 points.

Conversely, Charleston was 29-66 with 16 turnovers. Thus, they scored on just over 35% of their 82 potential chances. They made more 3s than Tulane which made up for the discrepancy at the line.

While we shot a higher percentage and scored at a higher rate on our potential chances they had 9 more opportunities because of the massive edge they enjoyed in offensive rebounds.

We basically shot as well as we are capable of and connected at the line and still lost. Looking at it this way will have to shoot very well from the floor and win the turnover battle by a greater margin to offset the rebounding discrepancy we face in every game.

There is just margin for error for us to win playing the way we are. More proof that we need to play more man to man in an effort to limit the offensive rebounds.
Last edited by NJwave on Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/ ... ule/Tulane

Yes, it's early and RPI is flawed and especially flawed early yadda yadda yadda, BUT:

307 RPI against a 268 SOS

This is not ok.

FWIW, two AAC teams have worse RPIs (but better records; we're worst in the conference at that) and one is very close. Still expecting last place. TD and Hunter can both go swim in Lake Ponchatrain.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Your record says Who you are.
waverider
Cornerstone

GSx wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:11 am
wavedom wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:31 pm
He isn't alone.
Tulane incentivizes this.
Effing ridiculous.
This should attract good coaches knowing they get 8 years to turn the program around and will likely get a raise or two in that time.
Tulane Greenbackers

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

visualmagic wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:31 pm How bad does this year have to get for Hunter to be canned?
pretty bad since he's signed through 2027
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Johnny Mac wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:07 pm
visualmagic wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:31 pm How bad does this year have to get for Hunter to be canned?
Hellz bells they could pay me half of his salary and still get the same results
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Are we only the team in the country that will not pay a buyout?
waverider
Cornerstone

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:39 pm
Hellz bells they could pay me half of his salary and still get the same results
You and I can split his salary and we may even improve the current results.
Tulane Greenbackers