We’re complacent and lazy: Fundraising & NIL

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

We’re complacent and lazy: Fundraising & NIL

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

I am calling out Troy Dannen and his Green Wave Club/Fundraising Staff (full time staff of 4).

I was a four-figure donor in 2019 and 2020 - did not send a check for 2021 (because I never got a call with a thank you in either year and I also wanted to see how long it would take for someone in the Green Wave Club to call and ask where my 2021 donation was).

It is now December and I have received ZERO calls (besides the traditional ones from non-athletic students soliciting for the University).

What do the four time people in Fundraising do all day? Not a single one of them can pick up the phone and start calling leads (from previous years) to get them to sustain their previous level or build a relationship to see how they can really grow that person’s commitment?

Also, what are we doing from a NIl standpoint?

Troy, it is time to give 100% and expect your staff to give 100% to making Tulane Athletics better or for you to leave.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
FW
Cornerstone

Re: We’re complacent and lazy: Fundraising & NIL

Unread post by FW »

I get more calls from the school where I received my graduate degrees to donate to their athletic department and I have never donated to that school, let alone their athletic department.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

There’s a thread on the other board that talks about Athletics not being able to solicit donations from Tulane donors that have never donated to athletics. That in itself shows how little Gibson Hall cares about athletics and may even be an indication that they are against it.

I still think if plans were revealed for a football ops center, for example, some of those bigger athletics donors would step up.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

waverider wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:42 am There’s a thread on the other board that talks about Athletics not being able to solicit donations from Tulane donors that have never donated to athletics. That in itself shows how little Gibson Hall cares about athletics and may even be an indication that they are against it.

I still think if plans were revealed for a football ops center, for example, some of those bigger athletics donors would step up.
That is even more embarrassing for the 4 employees in Fundraising for Athletics - it means there is zero excuse for them not to be working the phones all day to previous Athletic donors that become inactive. They are literally stealing from the Athletic Department by not doing their jobs.

It starts with their leadership.
waverider
Cornerstone

QuarterbackU wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:48 pm
waverider wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:42 am There’s a thread on the other board that talks about Athletics not being able to solicit donations from Tulane donors that have never donated to athletics. That in itself shows how little Gibson Hall cares about athletics and may even be an indication that they are against it.

That is even more embarrassing for the 4 employees in Fundraising for Athletics - it means there is zero excuse for them not to be working the phones all day to previous Athletic donors that become inactive. They are literally stealing from the Athletic Department by not doing their jobs.

It starts with their leadership.
It is a pretty lengthy discussion regarding what donors we should be going after. Wavedom even used your original post above in the thread as an example of them not doing their jobs.
Tulane Greenbackers

GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

Inexcusable. I used to think Dannen was at least competent. The past year has proven that wrong.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by RI WAVE »

This is not a positive development as I have experienced a similar situation.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

The plans were revealed by Dannen. He was seeking $35 million. He raised a couple of million and expanded the weight room.
We deserve so much better
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Unread post by purplehaz3 »

wavedom wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:36 pm

The plans were revealed by Dannen. He was seeking $35 million. He raised a couple of million and expanded the weight room.
How about we start with a $10 million goal, build a state of the art locker room and leave room for expansion.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

They also lack any form of creativity. I guess they are busy all day working on their resume and contacts for the next gig or focused on being the host school for The Final Four and milking that for as many perks.

For example, it is clear that Ida and the lack of having typical crowds in 2020 caused some massive expenses.

AND

The Greenie helmets for the Ole Miss game created a massive buzz.

So combine them both together, anyone that donates $5,000 to help offset expenses from this two unexpected events - they get a Greenie helmet as a gift?

It doesn’t take rocket science.

Or how about just following up with everyone who donated already in Q1 and Q2 of 2021 with a call and ask them to donate to the Ida Expense Recovery fund (cost of unforeseen events)?
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

purplehaz3 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:00 pm

How about we start with a $10 million goal, build a state of the art locker room and leave room for expansion.
Because that's not what's needed to put us on equal footing with even the likes of the ULL's of the world. Tulane need a football ops. building more than ever to have any chance in recruiting once the three teams leave. Going small has kept the program small. We are a decade behind in the football ops. department.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

What are the chances of getting a football ops facility? Are there any current plans to do anything with athletics?
waverider
Cornerstone

wavedom wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:21 pm
purplehaz3 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:00 pm

Because that's not what's needed to put us on equal footing with even the likes of the ULL's of the world. Tulane need a football ops. building more than ever to have any chance in recruiting once the three teams leave. Going small has kept the program small. We are a decade behind in the football ops. department.
If we don’t do something soon we will be behind Rice with that gap widening.
Tulane Greenbackers

QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

tjtlja wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:10 pm What are the chances of getting a football ops facility? Are there any current plans to do anything with athletics?
If someone actually solicited me and showed me an actual plan to get this done, I would commit $10,000 a year over 10 years to get this done as a legacy soft of gift from my end.

However, I am asking an Athletic Department that can’t even find a way to send more than one email a month to donors/others in their database to promote the Student Athletes, Games, and Campaigns.

Why are they not paying someone $50k a year to push out an email every week that creates more engagement and updates with its database?

The more time I spend thinking about it the more I believe this Administration is mailing it in.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

All excellent points. And I'm embarrassed to say I haven't received any calls, emails, either. I did get a card of some type thanking me for my longevity (donations, etc).
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Marathon Wave wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:02 pm All excellent points. And I'm embarrassed to say I haven't received any calls, emails, either. I did get a card of some type thanking me for my longevity (donations, etc).
Here’s another idea that they can have for free but won’t do because it requires work.

Take Shaun King for example, he was out of work for the past year and took an overnight radio job in Las Vegas.

You tell me you couldn’t have offered Shaun $150,000 + Incentive Bonuses for 10 months to replace Steve Barrios on Radio Broadcasts and to make 50 phone calls a week to our best active/inactive donors?

Stay with me for a second, I HATE politics and politicians for the most part but a few years ago I met a U.S. Rep Candidate at a social function and she asked for me to support her. Now four times a year - she calls me personally and talks to me for 2-3 minutes and I give her $200 each time. I appreciate the direct hustle.

Back to the Shaun King example, if he or someone that is a Tulane Hall of Famer like him (look on LinkedIn a lot of big names would love a job like this) would leave you a voice Mail - you wouldn’t call them back? And when Shaun asked for a donation after talking to you for 2-3 minutes - you wouldn’t give him one?

You could even do a telemarket and email campaign with an auto-record message stating that a mystery Tulane Hall of Famer will give you a call - just let us know a specific window that you are available.

It is just laziness and lack of talent on the Development team. Go look at their resumes on the website…
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

If you read the thread you find out this is standard operating procedure at Universities. When a department cultivates a donor others aren't supposed to go after them too. So some athletic department head claims to have been put at a disadvantage when in fact their peers are on the same footing here. Much ado about nothing.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

waverider wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:42 am There’s a thread on the other board that talks about Athletics not being able to solicit donations from Tulane donors that have never donated to athletics.
So develop new sources. Demonstrate, with actions, that we will play to win.. With a full-time staff of 4, just for the Green Wave Club, they should be able to accomplish a lot.
Being satisfied with 2-10, which is the precise impression that TD and crew are giving out, is a good way to repel donors: past, present and future.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

QuarterbackU wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:15 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:02 pm All excellent points. And I'm embarrassed to say I haven't received any calls, emails, either. I did get a card of some type thanking me for my longevity (donations, etc).
Here’s another idea that they can have for free but won’t do because it requires work.

Take Shaun King for example, he was out of work for the past year and took an overnight radio job in Las Vegas.

You tell me you couldn’t have offered Shaun $150,000 + Incentive Bonuses for 10 months to replace Steve Barrios on Radio Broadcasts and to make 50 phone calls a week to our best active/inactive donors?

Stay with me for a second, I HATE politics and politicians for the most part but a few years ago I met a U.S. Rep Candidate at a social function and she asked for me to support her. Now four times a year - she calls me personally and talks to me for 2-3 minutes and I give her $200 each time. I appreciate the direct hustle.

Back to the Shaun King example, if he or someone that is a Tulane Hall of Famer like him (look on LinkedIn a lot of big names would love a job like this) would leave you a voice Mail - you wouldn’t call them back? And when Shaun asked for a donation after talking to you for 2-3 minutes - you wouldn’t give him one?

You could even do a telemarket and email campaign with an auto-record message stating that a mystery Tulane Hall of Famer will give you a call - just let us know a specific window that you are available.

It is just laziness and lack of talent on the Development team. Go look at their resumes on the website…
QU, great points indeed. Does anyone know what the hell Dannen and the athletic department are doing? Is Fitts behind this? It just doesn’t make any sense.
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Unread post by IM42lane »

FIRE DANNEN!!!!
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

IM42lane wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:48 pm FIRE DANNEN!!!!
Let's go Dannen! Lol
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
waverider
Cornerstone

wavedom wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:32 pm

If you read the thread you find out this is standard operating procedure at Universities. When a department cultivates a donor others aren't supposed to go after them too. So some athletic department head claims to have been put at a disadvantage when in fact their peers are on the same footing here. Much ado about nothing.
One of the best points brought up in that thread was that most of the former students that are potential donors didn’t care about Tulane athletics (because there wasn’t much to care about) then and certainly don’t now.

One thing I’ve always said was instead of going after the 1 or 2 donors that will give $30k each, try to cultivate 30k donors that might give $10 or more each. A tangible commitment to winning would be a good start for doing that.
Tulane Greenbackers

NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

I’ve told this before. When I was at Tulane I worked in the athletic department and proposed a contest for students to design a football play. The coaching staff would choose the winning play and promise to run it in a game. The idea was shot down.

Why not revive the idea with the caveat that you have to donate at least $100 to be eligible? Long probably wouldn’t like the fact that a CPA from NJ would come up with something he couldn’t dream of.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

I just noticed Jeff Cummings - @Jeff_Cummings_ on Twitter (who was a legacy from his father) has been working at South Alabama for over two weeks now.

How long will it take us to unlist him in the public facing staff directory on the website (attention to details)???
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Yikes. Interesting about how many jobs Jeff works now. Great guy. Good luck to him.

Meanwhile about the dullest job in town must be maintaining the phone book. Who cares if it’s your info or phone number that’s incorrectly listed. You won’t feel better to be told, “I got the other 99 right.”