TP: After brutal start, Tulane defense rejuvenated under first-year coordinator Chris Hampton

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: TP: After brutal start, Tulane defense rejuvenated under first-year coordinator Chris Hampton

Post by waverider »

long green wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:05 pm OK, good. The year spun out so fast that I stopped worrying about the D and worried about the head coach.
I’m back to thinking we need wholesale changes on both sides of the ball or at the top.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Re: TP: After brutal start, Tulane defense rejuvenated under first-year coordinator Chris Hampton

Post by Johnny Mac »

well, after watching tonight's game, how are you Hampton defenders feeling now?

How many plays was there a wide open receiver with no player within 10 yards of him on the left side of their offense? Ten? More? how 'bout that ingenious blitz that got torched on a screen for 50 yards? How many pass plays did we have a DB in position to break up a pass? six? seven?

the success this defense had was 100 percent because of the weak offenses they faced... Memphis has an OK offense... they torched this defense all night
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

Our secondary looked like the security guards at Nordstrom when the looters arrived this week.

Among other things, we need a qb whisperer to give our guys some useful instruction.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:44 pm well, after watching tonight's game, how are you Hampton defenders feeling now?

How many plays was there a wide open receiver with no player within 10 yards of him on the left side of their offense? Ten? More? how 'bout that ingenious blitz that got torched on a screen for 50 yards? How many pass plays did we have a DB in position to break up a pass? six? seven?

the success this defense had was 100 percent because of the weak offenses they faced... Memphis has an OK offense... they torched this defense all night
Guerry would respond but he's too busy wiping Hampton's ball sweat off his chin
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:44 pm well, after watching tonight's game, how are you Hampton defenders feeling now?
Do you really think there are a lot of them? Any?
Victory is never permanent
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

Wandering Quaker wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:00 pm Our secondary looked like the security guards at Nordstrom when the looters arrived this week.

Among other things, we need a qb whisperer to give our guys some useful instruction.

The players just looked confused all night.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

He's not the answer. Who said he was? He's also not the biggest problem. That's the man who hired him. Also the man who gave the man who hired him a long deal.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

long green wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:02 pm

He's not the answer. Who said he was? He's also not the biggest problem. That's the man who hired him. Also the man who gave the man who hired him a long deal.
I don’t anticipate the man who hired him is going anywhere and there’s nobody above the man who gave him a long deal who cares enough to worry about it.
Tulane Greenbackers

krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

long green wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:02 pm

He's not the answer but guerry had the article singing his praises which is what I believe jmac is implying.
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

This loss was as much on the offense. Particularly Long who, like Sean Payton, tried to out-cute the opponent instead of sticking to what works and Pratt who makes too many poor decisions and bad throws on the play calls that should have worked. Two of our 4 turnovers were on passes when we were moving the ball on them.
Tulane Greenbackers

Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

As great as Spears was tonight, you can’t just give him the ball every play. It’s good to mix in a play action. I don’t have a problem with the play selection, just the execution of the passing game.
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

OGSB wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:01 pm
here's one... and that's to whom I pointed my comment
waverider wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:19 am The defense did improve regardless of how bad the teams are we played. Tackling, cover receivers and getting pressure all got better as injuries started to recover. Losing Nick Anderson was big plus, according to one of the defensive assistants, there were about 15 more guys on defense battling nagging injuries most of the season.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

waverider wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:11 pm This loss was as much on the offense. Particularly Long who, like Sean Payton, tried to out-cute the opponent instead of sticking to what works and Pratt who makes too many poor decisions and bad throws on the play calls that should have worked. Two of our 4 turnovers were on passes when we were moving the ball on them.
are you fking kidding me? DID YOU NOT watch wide open receiver after receiver all night? Memphis dumped the ball to the left at least ten times with no defender within 10 yards of the receiver... multiple other downfield passes were to receivers with no DB within 10 yards. How many missed tackles were there on the last TD? How many missed tackles on the play where the guy was ruled out at the half yard line.. and oh yeah, that receiver was wide open, too.

I'm sure Coach Hampton is a great guy and the kids love him.. but he's not a good defensive coordinator by any stretch. Remember, they had to dumb down his "scheme" so the players would be in position.. and that didn't even work last night. His ideas on coordinating a defense don't work.

Now, was there problems on the offensive side of the ball? Yes.. and hopefully that issue is dealt with as well. But every team we played this year that had a competent OC and offensive line dominated our defense in the passing game.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:50 am
waverider wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:11 pm This loss was as much on the offense. Particularly Long who, like Sean Payton, tried to out-cute the opponent instead of sticking to what works and Pratt who makes too many poor decisions and bad throws on the play calls that should have worked. Two of our 4 turnovers were on passes when we were moving the ball on them.
are you fking kidding me? DID YOU NOT watch wide open receiver after receiver all night? Memphis dumped the ball to the left at least ten times with no defender within 10 yards of the receiver... multiple other downfield passes were to receivers with no DB within 10 yards. How many missed tackles were there on the last TD? How many missed tackles on the play where the guy was ruled out at the half yard line.. and oh yeah, that receiver was wide open, too.

I'm sure Coach Hampton is a great guy and the kids love him.. but he's not a good defensive coordinator by any stretch. Remember, they had to dumb down his "scheme" so the players would be in position.. and that didn't even work last night. His ideas on coordinating a defense don't work.

Now, was there problems on the offensive side of the ball? Yes.. and hopefully that issue is dealt with as well. But every team we played this year that had a competent OC and offensive line dominated our defense in the passing game.
Sure, if you don’t just pick and choose my posts you would have known I saw that. My point was, as bad as the defense was, the offense did a lot to hurt our cause.

I guess we should ignore the fact that the defense bailed out the offense holding them to a 3 and out after one TO and a FG on a short field after another. The score of this game could have been much worse, but it could have been much better in our favor if not for Long’s play calling and Pratt’s decision making.

After the UAB game I said he shouldn’t make it this far in the season and just couple weeks ago was concerned that the better performance would save his job another season.
Last edited by waverider on Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:44 am
waverider wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:19 am The defense did improve regardless of how bad the teams are we played. Tackling, cover receivers and getting pressure all got better as injuries started to recover. Losing Nick Anderson was big plus, according to one of the defensive assistants, there were about 15 more guys on defense battling nagging injuries most of the season.
That post isn’t really defending anyone, simply pointing out facts. Before tonight, we were tackling better, even against Cincinnati. We had been getting pressure on the QB, even against Cincinnati. We were getting better coverage the past few weeks then Memphis realized our senior DBs were where they should be throwing the ball. I’ve said all season that we never cover TEs or RBs coming out of the backfield. That problem has existed for years.

You should have seen this post just above yours.
waverider wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:44 pm
I’m back to thinking we need wholesale changes on both sides of the ball or at the top.
Tulane Greenbackers

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

waverider wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:37 am
That post isn’t really defending anyone, simply pointing out facts. Before tonight, we were tackling better, even against Cincinnati. We had been getting pressure on the QB, even against Cincinnati. We were getting better coverage the past few weeks then Memphis realized our senior DBs were where they should be throwing the ball. I’ve said all season that we never cover TEs or RBs coming out of the backfield. That problem has existed for years.

but that wouldn't have played into my narrative!! But honestly, the ONLY thing that improved was getting to the QB.. there were still wide open receivers with nobody within 10 yards at the time of completion against Cincy, Tulsa and USF.. that's not a talent gap, that's a coaching gap.. not setting up coverages to have players in position to make a play. Fortunately, we were either hurrying the QBs into not seeing these wide open receivers or making the sack... last night, there wasn't enough pressure and a true freshman QB picked us apart.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Is the DC also the DB coach?
Victory is never permanent
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

OGSB wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:14 am Is the DC also the DB coach?
no... JJ McCleskey and Josh Christian Young are the secondary and DB coaches, respectively
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Not only do we need staff changes to improve the quality of play, we need new and better recruiters on the staff.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:10 am
waverider wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:37 am

but that wouldn't have played into my narrative!! But honestly, the ONLY thing that improved was getting to the QB.. there were still wide open receivers with nobody within 10 yards at the time of completion against Cincy, Tulsa and USF.. that's not a talent gap, that's a coaching gap.. not setting up coverages to have players in position to make a play. Fortunately, we were either hurrying the QBs into not seeing these wide open receivers or making the sack... last night, there wasn't enough pressure and a true freshman QB picked us apart.
I don’t know if it’s by direction from Fritz or the DC, but under the current and previous ones we have played a lot of man coverage to focus on stopping the run and getting pressure with the idea of making the DBs’ jobs easier by giving the QB less time. We don’t have enough DBs that can play man and we don’t get enough pressure to help them out.

I don’t really know what the solution is. Do we need better pass rushers or a couple more guys that can cover like Jadon Canady? Would more zone with safety help work? Seems to me like it’s a little of both, talent and scheme. In our conference we have to be able to cover 4-6 guys going out on pass plays and we don’t have the talent to do that. When we have used zone our guys sit back and wait for the play to come to them or as the case has been this year, they are usually out of position or make the wrong decision.
Tulane Greenbackers

tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

GSx wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:49 am Not only do we need staff changes to improve the quality of play, we need new and better recruiters on the staff.
Amen. What we can’t sell is CUSA 20. We had our shot. Get rid of the current administration tomorrow and start searching for a new landing area. Align with SMU and Memphis and whoever else wants to be proactive. Quit wetting on the bed Fitts.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

tjtlja wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:28 pm
GSx wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:49 am Not only do we need staff changes to improve the quality of play, we need new and better recruiters on the staff.
Amen. What we can’t sell is CUSA 20. We had our shot. Get rid of the current administration tomorrow and start searching for a new landing area. Align with SMU and Memphis and whoever else wants to be proactive. Quit wetting on the bed Fitts.
That's your opinnion and I'm not sure what your are basing it on. We will still have the same budget and more importantly same amount of games on ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, and the rest of the ESPN family. We can't sell the kids on games vs UCF, Cincy, and Houston. That is our loss. Its not like we have been recruiting the same kids those three were.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Poseidon wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:43 pm
We can't sell the kids on games vs UCF, Cincy, and Houston. That is our loss. Its not like we have been recruiting the same kids those three were.
This is part of the problem. Why not? We should be clashing with the top of the conference in recruiting battles. The fact we aren't is part of the problem. Recruiting, hs or portal, is the life blood of the sport, period. If you aren't pushing for the top of your own league, you can pretty much settle for also ran status.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:10 pm
Poseidon wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:43 pm
We can't sell the kids on games vs UCF, Cincy, and Houston. That is our loss. Its not like we have been recruiting the same kids those three were.
This is part of the problem. Why not? We should be clashing with the top of the conference in recruiting battles. The fact we aren't is part of the problem. Recruiting, hs or portal, is the life blood of the sport, period. If you aren't pushing for the top of your own league, you can pretty much settle for also ran status.
Your are right outlaw. I was simply rejecting to the notion that "we can't sell CUSA 2.00" which is just wrong. In 2022 we will be 8 years removed from the CUSA. While it may be fresh on our minds, those we are recruiting just knwo Tulane as an AAC team and the AAC plays on ESPN and ABC etc.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Selling the new schedule will be hard as hell to sell. And I would say we have been recruiting the same type of player. Our games have been very competitive with both Houston and UCF the past several years. In addition, we can play with Cinncy. We played with them this year. The talent difference isn’t that great. The difference is the infrastructure, the salaries, the employees, etc. Their leadership is much better. If you think all this money we are going to make under the ESPN deal is going to make us relevant as conferences realign, then I hope you are right. But this new AAC sucks. I would be beating down doors to move west.