Ron Hunter is the worst Strategic Coach in Tulane Hoops history

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Ron Hunter is the worst Strategic Coach in Tulane Hoops history

Post by QuarterbackU »

How we blew the Valpo game and lack of awareness by our players throughout the last two games of their vacation is dumbfounding.

Ron might be a hell of a recruiter but he is an awful decision maker on the hardwood.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Re: Ron Hunter is the worst Strategic Coach in Tulane Hoops history

Post by NJwave »

This is a talented team. It’s maddening. We don’t defend at all, continue to take bad shot after bad shot, can’t rebound and get no easy baskets. Pope is our only good rebounder yet he doesn’t get a lot of minutes. We win easily if he is on the floor with Cross tonight.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

The problem is that we miss a lot of open shots and good looks. We probably lead the country in missed shots under the basket.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Year 3 and we still have the same deficiencies. Hunter thinks our issues are 3 point shooting. The rest of us know it is rebounding, shot selection and ball movement. I will be the first to admit that I liked his hire. Honestly, if he doesn’t see the issues staring him right in the face he is not a good coach.

Pope played 4 minutes. He is our best rebounder and most aggressive defensive player. How can he only play 4 minutes?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Because he is coached by Hunter. That is why he didn’t play much. It is a head scratcher. I really believe this is Dunleavy II. I know the scheme and experience are different, but they are both hard headed and don’t listen to anyone (which includes their staffs). And his recruiting is very suspect. If it wasn’t for some success im the portal, we would win less than 5 games a year. I don’t see us winning more than 10 games this year. Really, we should not be a favorite in any gamer. Let’s just move in a direction.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I started to post in another thread that Hunter just will not win in a real conference.. he can wine and dine on the Atlantic Sun with great athletes who couldn't get into Tulane unless we dropped the SAT as a requirement, but given the constraints of a college that actually wants students to be able to read in a conference with real basketball coaches, he will never succeed. I hope our AD makes the right move in April... the Hunter experiment just set fire to the lab in Percival Stern.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

It’s year three and we improved the first two. I think coaches usually deserve four years to prove what they can do. I’m not ready to run him out of town but I’ve lost patience after only 6 games, The talent level is better but he can’t take advantage of it.

We have the same on court flaws that we did in his first game. Most of the flaws are so obvious that fixing them doesn’t seem like it would be difficult yet here we are. Recruit a darn center, switch defenses occasionally (he won’t do this), demand more ball movement and better shot selection and play two bigs at the same time to alleviate some of the rebounding issues. By the end of this season if these things haven’t improved it would be hard to imagine they ever will.

I hope things turn around quickly and we aren’t looking for a new coach. However, I am keeping one eye on Greg Gary at Mercer (2-4) and one on Carlin Hartman at UNLV. We’ve tried everything but the former Tulane player thing. It would be time to strongly consider it.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Johnny Mac wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:21 am I started to post in another thread that Hunter just will not win in a real conference.. he can wine and dine on the Atlantic Sun with great athletes who couldn't get into Tulane unless we dropped the SAT as a requirement, but given the constraints of a college that actually wants students to be able to read in a conference with real basketball coaches, he will never succeed. I hope our AD makes the right move in April... the Hunter experiment just set fire to the lab in Percival Stern.
So all the other teams are full of illiterates. Wow. Academic restraints are not holding athletics back. Ten years ago the standards were reduced and the athlete friendly majors were put in. Our players have taken full advantage of them. Our losing history from when raised academic standards did hold us back and the lack of facilities holds us back.
We deserve so much better
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I never understood the Hertz Center when we play in a gym built almost a century ago. Facilities do hurt us, but the coaches we have hired play a huge part in this mess also. With Cook, Forbes, and Cross, you have a threesome that can win. What you don’t have is a coach that left 2 scholarships on the table and refused to sign two bigs. But I don’t think he would know how to use them anyway. They would be sitting on the bench. Let’s get out of this deal as soon as possible.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

tjtlja wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:31 am I never understood the Hertz Center when we play in a gym built almost a century ago. Facilities do hurt us, but the coaches we have hired play a huge part in this mess also. With Cook, Forbes, and Cross, you have a threesome that can win. What you don’t have is a coach that left 2 scholarships on the table and refused to sign two bigs. But I don’t think he would know how to use them anyway. They would be sitting on the bench. Let’s get out of this deal as soon as possible.
If that’s the case, then it’s definitely not Dunleavy part II. Dunleavy never recruited players good enough to win with
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Post by QuarterbackU »

I am convinced that Ron Hunter could have kept the 1992 Dream Team out of the Medal Round with his game management.

Recruiting, Facilities, etc. don’t matter if you can’t manage the last two minutes of a game against Southern, Toledo, and Valpo.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

visualmagic wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:35 am
tjtlja wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:31 am I never understood the Hertz Center when we play in a gym built almost a century ago. Facilities do hurt us, but the coaches we have hired play a huge part in this mess also. With Cook, Forbes, and Cross, you have a threesome that can win. What you don’t have is a coach that left 2 scholarships on the table and refused to sign two bigs. But I don’t think he would know how to use them anyway. They would be sitting on the bench. Let’s get out of this deal as soon as possible.
If that’s the case, then it’s definitely not Dunleavy part II. Dunleavy never recruited players good enough to win with
Didn’t he have two players that played for money. Also, add in Daniels. Probably forgetting a couple.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

tjtlja wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:41 pm
visualmagic wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:35 am
Didn’t he have two players that played for money. Also, add in Daniels. Probably forgetting a couple.
1.Dunleavy didn’t recruit any of those players
2. Jalen Cook might not play in the NBA but I think as a college player, he’s probably going to be better than Frazier and Reynolds
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

wavedom wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:44 am
Johnny Mac wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:21 am I started to post in another thread that Hunter just will not win in a real conference.. he can wine and dine on the Atlantic Sun with great athletes who couldn't get into Tulane unless we dropped the SAT as a requirement, but given the constraints of a college that actually wants students to be able to read in a conference with real basketball coaches, he will never succeed. I hope our AD makes the right move in April... the Hunter experiment just set fire to the lab in Percival Stern.
So all the other teams are full of illiterates. Wow. Academic restraints are not holding athletics back. Ten years ago the standards were reduced and the athlete friendly majors were put in. Our players have taken full advantage of them. Our losing history from when raised academic standards did hold us back and the lack of facilities holds us back.
actually, yeah... Hunter had a roster at Ga State loaded with guys big conference schools wouldn't and couldn't touch... Ga State is a commuter school with very little academic scrutiny for admission
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Johnny Mac wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:21 am
actually, yeah... Hunter had a roster at Ga State loaded with guys big conference schools wouldn't and couldn't touch... Ga State is a commuter school with very little academic scrutiny for admission

His memorable tournament team had his son, Kevin Ware (Louisville transfer) and Ryan Harrow (Kentucky transfer). Hunter had a cup of coffee in the NBA and is playing overseas and the two others play overseas. I don’t know about their academics, but that is three good players for their league.

Our facilities definitely need an upgrade and our academic standards may be an issue as well. Despite all that, I still think this team has more than enough talent to win. It certainly has enough talent to beat Southern, Toledo and Valpo.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

NJwave wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:16 am

His memorable tournament team had his son, Kevin Ware (Louisville transfer) and Ryan Harrow (Kentucky transfer). Hunter had a cup of coffee in the NBA and is playing overseas and the two others play overseas. I don’t know about their academics, but that is three good players for their league.

Our facilities definitely need an upgrade and our academic standards may be an issue as well. Despite all that, I still think this team has more than enough talent to win. It certainly has enough talent to beat Southern, Toledo and Valpo.
allow me to put it succinctly... at Ga State, Ron Hunter never had to worry about a recruit getting through admissions like he does at Tulane.. but getting back to his coaching style.. like Dunleavy, he refuses to mix up his defense and has been adamant about sticking to his "match up don't call it a zone although it's a zone defense".
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Actually not- they were a Division 1 school with the same standards of others. But keep buying the academic excuse and enjoy the bad coaches that come with it.
We deserve so much better
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Johnny Mac wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:44 am
NJwave wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:16 am

allow me to put it succinctly... at Ga State, Ron Hunter never had to worry about a recruit getting through admissions like he does at Tulane.. but getting back to his coaching style.. like Dunleavy, he refuses to mix up his defense and has been adamant about sticking to his "match up don't call it a zone although it's a zone defense".
I agree with you a 100%. While that may prevent us from ever reaching the upper echelon our our league it doesn’t excuse the awful losses we have suffered.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

A coach is supposed to mold his team in accordance with the talent he has. It is clear after six games that whatever Hunter is coaching has not resonated with the players. Maybe we have overestimated the talent we have. Nevertheless, something has to change. Losing to Southern, Toledo, Valpo, and going overtime with Drexel is crappy to say the least.

Early RPI’s

Tulane 312

Southeastern 356
Southern 195
Florida State 16
Drexel 229
Toledo 66
Valpo 315
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

tjtlja wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:59 pm A coach is supposed to mold his team in accordance with the talent he has. It is clear after six games that whatever Hunter is coaching has not resonated with the players. Maybe we have overestimated the talent we have. Nevertheless, something has to change. Losing to Southern, Toledo, Valpo, and going overtime with Drexel is crappy to say the least.

Early RPI’s

Tulane 312

Southeastern 356
Southern 195
Florida State 16
Drexel 229
Toledo 66
Valpo 315
Are you suggesting it is talent alone that is putting us in a position to win again at the teams you mentioned? Toledo and FSU would have been great wins. Seems like the players like Hunter by the way.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

They can like him, but they have to win.

I don’t know if is our talent, our coaching, or both. Beating Southeastern by 3, losing to Southern by 3, losing to Valpo, and going OT with Drexel is atrocious. We are currently rated 312. It is early, nevertheless it is pitiful.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Post by QuarterbackU »

purplehaz3 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:41 pm
tjtlja wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:59 pm A coach is supposed to mold his team in accordance with the talent he has. It is clear after six games that whatever Hunter is coaching has not resonated with the players. Maybe we have overestimated the talent we have. Nevertheless, something has to change. Losing to Southern, Toledo, Valpo, and going overtime with Drexel is crappy to say the least.

Early RPI’s

Tulane 312

Southeastern 356
Southern 195
Florida State 16
Drexel 229
Toledo 66
Valpo 315
Are you suggesting it is talent alone that is putting us in a position to win again at the teams you mentioned? Toledo and FSU would have been great wins. Seems like the players like Hunter by the way.
Of course they like him. Besides being a nice guy, he lets them shoot 3’s whenever they feel like it and they don’t have to worry about pesky things like rebounding or playing defense. They can just focus on the glamour plays that could get them on a highlight clip.

He also got them a vacation, with no responsibilities, to the Bahamas.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

3 of the 4 coaches are 50+. They haven't signed a high school recruit since....when? A couple of the transfers were well-credentialed; a couple looked ridiculous for us to sign (same with women). They schedule like mid-major, and run a mid-major scheme.
Where are we going?
Bham Wave
President's Circle

Post by Bham Wave »

Our rebounding issues are directly related to the type of defense he plays and Coach Hunter knows it. When he got here I remember him making comments about how he doesn't focus on rebounding stats or something to that effect. His thought process was the steals his matchup creates off sets the lack of rebounding out of it. Well, I think we all see that is not the case. It has to be demoralizing for a team to play good defense for a possession and force a tough shot that they miss only to see some unchecked big man get an easy rebound and put back. It happens over and over again.

On offense we now have shooters, we have guards who can get to the rim and finish decently, and we have a player in Cook who appears to have that killer instinct. What we don't have is an offense to run that gets the most out of our talent. I would not call dribbling a lot and then flashing a big to set a pick at the top of the key an offense but that is about all we seem to do.
Roll Wave Roll!!!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I think composer of this thread title never saw Ted Lenhardt coach Tulane.

Meanwhile Hunter simply possesses the same quality that lots of HCs have: absolute self confidence. He ain’t changing his system or his in-game coaching regardless of what our lying eyes tell us (and him?)

As Gsx notes unless he unexpectedly picks up his high school recruiting, it’s all about the transfer portal where he has picked up three good players: Forbes, Cook and he who shall not be named. He needs more obviously.

I still expect Tulane to have a surprise win like beating a ranked team this year to bookend the SWAC loss. However unless the shooting averages 40%, I’ll be very surprised if Tulane has a .500 conference record or becomes Top 100 this year.

What little comfort it will be, I guess we have very few beat downs this year. Probably that says most about the schedule.