8 Remaining AAC teams get same tv money...

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: 8 Remaining AAC teams get same tv money...

Post by tjtlja »

wavedom wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:13 am The money is still paltry compared to what the P5's get and that's the main point hat has people upset. We missed our chance to go to the Big 12 and we aren't even on it's radar because of the incompetence and lack of commitment. We will no longer be in the 6th best conference. The MWC will be ahead of as well as the SBC in some years. The viewership of the greatly weakened AAC will drop significantly and ESPN will come back and take away that money at some point. Tulane had an extremely small following and once the moves are made it will be even smaller. There's just no interest in these matchups. None. At least we had some respect from others due to being in the recognized best of the G5 but now that will be gone. Recruiting will drop off due to not having a strong conference to recruit to anymore. The current players are hard enough to watch. Many of what is left of our fan base won't be able to stomach the even lesser caliber of players we will be getting.
Very well said.

Tulane incompetence and lack of commitment. Tulane incompetence and lack of commitment. Say it over and over.

Let’s go independent.
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

That's it. During the past 35 years, there have been opportunities to improve the position of the university in the athletic world. Normally, when opportunity presents itself, one throws itself at it wholeheartedly.

But that didn't happen. On any occasion. And if there is still some opportunity lurking, what do we think will happen? When we lose to Rice again, you'll have your answer.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

It's really simple. We just need to do the one thing, win. Beat the opponents in front of us and with everything else the school has going for it, we'd be fine. And it's precisely the one thing we can't figure out how to do.

An LSU fan at my work asked me today why Tulane still plays football. I didn't have an answer. It doesn't seem winning is a motivation.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:56 pm An LSU fan at my work asked me today why Tulane still plays football. I didn't have an answer. It doesn't seem winning is a motivation.
Like every other lsu fan, your lsu fan at work is a complete arsehole.
washwave
Breaker Level

Post by washwave »

Tulane is one of the top schools in the country in one of of the best cities in the world. We should strive to be the best in everything and our athletics isn't holding up its end of the bargain. It may well be because the broader university doesn't support athletics like it should, but we should be in a power league given who we are. This latest realignment is just further confirmation of how badly we have screwed this up and how far we are from getting to where we should be. It was true before the announcement but it just hits home again with how things have turned out. The pre-realignment AAC was at least closer to a power conference and had an upward trajectory. The new AAC has neither of those. We at least get to keep the same money for a while but there is no denying that it is not a positive step for us.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

1401973 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:09 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:56 pm An LSU fan at my work asked me today why Tulane still plays football. I didn't have an answer. It doesn't seem winning is a motivation.
Like every other lsu fan, your lsu fan at work is a complete arsehole.
That's the thing. She's genuinely not. She's a nice, caring person. She's listened to me cheer victories and complain losses for years now with never a harsh word. From her outsider pov she just didn't understand why we'd keep banging our heads against the wall, when the movers and shakers of the sport continue to leave us behind.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

Then she is ignorant. There are very few movers and shakers. The rest of us are hanging on for dear life.
I wonder if she would ask any of the participants of an Army/Navy game why they keep playing.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:20 pmFrom her outsider pov she just didn't understand why we'd keep banging our heads against the wall, when the movers and shakers of the sport continue to leave us behind.
Then why not ask why most colleges have sports whatsoever?

That's the thing... very few programs operate in the black .Those numbers have been published here and there for decades. Only a small number of athletics programs make money without being utterly subsidized by the school. At one point (years ago) it was like a number you could count on one hand. Those with good football programs usually burn up the cash funding other sports. LSU is about to pay an obscene amount of money to an outgoing football coach and sign a contract for another obscene amount for the replacement, while the state struggles with its budget. When O was hired people said it was a fallback because they couldn't pay big money due to the state budget situation... Did the state magically fix all its money woes in three years? Or are people willing to ignore all that and watch tax money go to the football program while the state crumbles simply because they got a national championship out of it two years ago? And we're being hypocritical? Look in the mirror, Tiger fans.

Obviously schools have sports because of the intangibles. How much benefit does having sports bring to a school? Too many pros and cons to type and we've all heard the arguments before. If the pros didn't outweigh the cons, no one would have sports.

There are many, many schools that lose more than we do on athletics. This whole line of "why bother, we're just losing money" is a straw man. We're still going to be making the same amount of money, and that number is more than we were a year ago (before the new ESPN contract) and we survived even then. This whole thing is just people disappointed in our inability to win finding other ways to complain... A "justification of frustration".

Dont get me wrong, I'm frustrated and disappointed too. But talk about going independent, dropping levels, why bother, etc... Just stop. If that made any sense we'd have done it in the 60s, the 80s, the 90s, when Katrina hit, the late 00s, or the early 10s. We didn't quit then and we're not quitting now.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:03 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:20 pmFrom her outsider pov she just didn't understand why we'd keep banging our heads against the wall, when the movers and shakers of the sport continue to leave us behind.

That's the thing... very few programs operate in the black .Those numbers have been published here and there for decades. Only a small number of athletics programs make money without being utterly subsidized by the school. At one point (years ago) it was like a number you could count on one hand. Those with good football programs usually burn up the cash funding other sports. LSU is about to pay an obscene amount of money to an outgoing football coach and sign a contract for another obscene amount for the replacement, while the state struggles with its budget. When O was hired people said it was a fallback because they couldn't pay big money due to the state budget situation... Did the state magically fix all its money woes in three years? Or are people willing to ignore all that and watch tax money go to the football program while the state crumbles simply because they got a national championship out of it two years ago? And we're being hypocritical? Look in the mirror, Tiger fans.

Obviously schools have sports because of the intangibles. How much benefit does having sports bring to a school? Too many pros and cons to type and we've all heard the arguments before. If the pros didn't outweigh the cons, no one would have sports.

There are many, many schools that lose more than we do on athletics. This whole line of "why bother, we're just losing money" is a straw man. We're still going to be making the same amount of money, and that number is more than we were a year ago (before the new ESPN contract) and we survived even then. This whole thing is just people disappointed in our inability to win finding other ways to complain... A "justification of frustration".

Dont get me wrong, I'm frustrated and disappointed too. But talk about going independent, dropping levels, why bother, etc... Just stop. If that made any sense we'd have done it in the 60s, the 80s, the 90s, when Katrina hit, the late 00s, or the early 10s. We didn't quit then and we're not quitting now.
Pete you've heard it wrong . I hate LSU but the fact is they get no state money. They support themselves through their success and their donors. LSU nor the state is paying O anything. The donors put the #17 million up per their AD Woodward. LSU athletics was donating over $10 million a year to the academic side until the new AD came in and the pandemic hit.

As to us quitting I doubt it like you do. But it's a much different day and age where the gaps between Tulane and the rest are staggering. I doubt we quit because of the money they took for Yulman but fact is this new AAC is a drop down and a further drop to D-3 is more possible than ever. The eggheads might finally get their wish.
Last edited by wavedom on Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

washwave wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:19 pm Tulane is one of the top schools in the country in one of of the best cities in the world. We should strive to be the best in everything and our athletics isn't holding up its end of the bargain. It may well be because the broader university doesn't support athletics like it should, but we should be in a power league given who we are. This latest realignment is just further confirmation of how badly we have screwed this up and how far we are from getting to where we should be. It was true before the announcement but it just hits home again with how things have turned out. The pre-realignment AAC was at least closer to a power conference and had an upward trajectory. The new AAC has neither of those. We at least get to keep the same money for a while but there is no denying that it is not a positive step for us.
You answered your own question.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:25 pm My point isn't that they won't reserve a slot for G5. My point is, the definition of G5 is changing. When the CFP contract is up, the conferences in charge, right now the P5, can change the definition of who deserves to be in charge. The SEC, B10, ACC and P12 can decide to demote the B12 in the next round of playoff discussions.

If that happens, there will only need to be 5 AQ slots, one for each autonomy conference and one for the G5, which would include the B12 in this scenario. By default they would be the favorite for the 5th AQ playoff every year, while the AAC, Sun Belt, MWC and MAC will be hoping the B12 slips up. This is what the other current G5s hope for with the AAC and NY6 slot right now. I guess you could call that access, but we went from drivers seat to sidecar in a hurry.
In the power rankings, MWC is currently ahead of the current AAC which has the #2 team in the country.
Tulane Greenbackers

wwave
Riptide Level

Post by wwave »

Hopefully we can use our payout from exit fees to buy out our Willie. If we keep tv payout, won’t be worse for wear.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I’m bringing my daughter to a prospective student event at Southeastern tomorrow. Maybe I’ll get Frank Scelfo to come back to Tulane
Tulane Greenbackers

wwave
Riptide Level

Post by wwave »

Maybe TB And RR are ready to comeback to the bigtime. Maybe RR’s wife thinks New Orleans ok after some things time in Monroe
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

wwave wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:25 pm Maybe TB And RR are ready to comeback to the bigtime. Maybe RR’s wife thinks New Orleans ok after some things time in Monroe
It was TB's wife that had the problem with New Orleans. The TB in Monroe isn't the one that was here.
We deserve so much better
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wwave wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:25 pm Maybe TB And RR are ready to comeback to the bigtime. Maybe RR’s wife thinks New Orleans ok after some things time in Monroe
Ahh, the inevitable "let's bring back the old coach" routine. Can't wait to hear about Rick Jones in a few months.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Did you ask her since she is 35 or older and past her prime attractiveness why she still puts on makeup?

The obvious answer is Tulane doesnt have to play, but the school thinks its an important part Tulane's University Profile. Perhaps Tulane is trying to be a well rounded school. That wants to provide student athletes who want a more pretegious degree and priavte eduacation the same oppurunity to play football as state schools provide.

Im sure the puts on makeup becuse she wants to have a well rounded and respected profile. She just doent want to leave the makeup to the models.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:19 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:03 pm

Pete you've heard it wrong . I hate LSU but the fact is they get no state money. They support themselves through their success and their donors. LSU nor the state is paying O anything. The donors put the #17 million up per their AD Woodward. LSU athletics was donating over $10 million a year to the academic side until the new AD came in and the pandemic hit.

As to us quitting I doubt it like you do. But it's a much different day and age where the gaps between Tulane and the rest are staggering. I doubt we quit because of the money they took for Yulman but fact is this new AAC is a drop down and a further drop to D-3 is more possible than ever. The eggheads might finally get their wish.
Also, the reason all those schools look like they don't make money is an accounting quirk...if you ever look at those lists you'll find tons of schools that perfectly breakeven financially...it's all accounting. Not to mention they could basically name their profit if they wanted to by not spending on ridiculous things like private jets, helicopters, lazy rivers, etc.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Poseidon wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:32 am
Did you ask her since she is 35 or older and past her prime attractiveness why she still puts on makeup?

The obvious answer is Tulane doesnt have to play, but the school thinks its an important part Tulane's University Profile. Perhaps Tulane is trying to be a well rounded school. That wants to provide student athletes who want a more pretegious degree and priavte eduacation the same oppurunity to play football as state schools provide.

Im sure the puts on makeup becuse she wants to have a well rounded and respected profile. She just doent want to leave the makeup to the models.
Take the LSU fan part out if it helps. I'm 31 and she is younger than me. She has 0 animosity towards Tulane (because we haven't been on field rivals in her lifetime) and wasn't asking while looking down her nose.

From her outsider perspective, she couldn't understand why we play if we aren't going to try and win. She doesn't know all the details of why we struggle we discuss here, she only sees wins a losses. And from that point of view it doesn't look like we are trying very hard.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

ml wave wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:32 am
Ahh, the inevitable "let's bring back the old coach" routine. Can't wait to hear about Rick Jones in a few months.
Let's bring back Perry Clark while we're at it
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:16 am

Take the LSU fan part out if it helps. I'm 31 and she is younger than me. She has 0 animosity towards Tulane (because we haven't been on field rivals in her lifetime) and wasn't asking while looking down her nose.

From her outsider perspective, she couldn't understand why we play if we aren't going to try and win. She doesn't know all the details of why we struggle we discuss here, she only sees wins a losses. And from that point of view it doesn't look like we are trying very hard.
You could tell her it's a lot easier to try to win with $40 million per year vs $8 million
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

This is the same thing our recruits are being told by opposing coaches.
Tulane Greenbackers

Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

It's a zero sum game at the highest level. Does she not also understand that its not by choice that Tulane is not in the SEC. Does she understand this? Seriously. I who think you play for the reasons I stated plus many more. What she appears to be asking is why is Tulane losing. You can answer that very well.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Poseidon wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:09 pm

It's a zero sum game at the highest level. Does she not also understand that its not by choice that Tulane is not in the SEC. Does she understand this? Seriously. I who think you play for the reasons I stated plus many more. What she appears to be asking is why is Tulane losing. You can answer that very well.
I think all the responses about resources, yours and others, are beside the point. We aren't competing with LSU or other SEC teams right now. We might all play fbs, but we aren't on the same planet as an sec school. Of course we can't compete against massive SEC budgets,, but the issue is we aren't competing well with the teams in our own conference. Supposedly we have a similar level budget as the other teams yet we haven't threatened a conference title in 20+ years. .500 is the best we can do. That's what she and any college football fan half way paying attention notices. And to be fair she only notices because I bring it up, so maybe I'm the problem.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:35 pm
Poseidon wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:09 pm

I think all the responses about resources, yours and others, are beside the point. We aren't competing with LSU or other SEC teams right now. We might all play fbs, but we aren't on the same planet as an sec school. Of course we can't compete against massive SEC budgets,, but the issue is we aren't competing well with the teams in our own conference. Supposedly we have a similar level budget as the other teams yet we haven't threatened a conference title in 20+ years. .500 is the best we can do. That's what she and any college football fan half way paying attention notices. And to be fair she only notices because I bring it up, so maybe I'm the problem.
I saw this on Twitter. Is this accurate?
Tulane is 4-21 against AAC teams that finished with a winning record under Willie Fritz.