Greenie helmets

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Carolina Greenie
Riptide Level

Greenie helmets

Post by Carolina Greenie »

Hmmm. Gotta say, Greenie is “cute”, but they jumped the shark with the helmets

Stick with the Angry wave! Gotta think the players feel that way also…..
visualmagic
President's Circle

Re: Greenie helmets

Post by visualmagic »

Carolina Greenie wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:26 pm Gotta think the players feel that way also…..
Why?
I’m sure they like the novelty and the publicity that it will get

As for jumping the shark, they arguably did that before this
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Have we ever had greenie on our helmets before? I've seen lots of retro designs, but never him on there.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:05 pm Have we ever had greenie on our helmets before? I've seen lots of retro designs, but never him on there.
Not sure if this is an exhaustive list,
(obviously an old poster) but it doesn't appear so...

STOP BUNTING gaddammit!!
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

gerryb323 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:09 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:05 pm Have we ever had greenie on our helmets before? I've seen lots of retro designs, but never him on there.
Not sure if this is an exhaustive list,
(obviously an old poster) but it doesn't appear so...

Thanks gerry. Didn't think we had. I had forgotten that green machine one. And how ugly the pink T was, even if it was for a good cause.

Marathon, if we beat Ole Miss I bet you'll look on these one offs a little more fondly :lol:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

All these folks on the Facebook page are all in a tizzy because they think the SEC sticker is "poking the bear" or "bulletin board material" or "talking trash when we haven't proven anything yet".

I think the stickers were simply a part of what's clearly going to be a throwback helmet (possibly whole uniform) and when they put out that "sneak peek" tweet, the media, desperate for scandal and anyone trolling anyone (so they can make a story out of it) decided it was shade against Kiffin for his "Tulane is an SEC team" comment, or shade against the whole school (as though they don't have more titles and more recent), and took it and ran with it. In other words, I don't really think the SEC titles sticker was meant disrespectfully at all, I think it was simply a part of the throwback "Tulane's SEC days" helmet design.

That said, the publicity it's gotten us in national media outlets is phenomenal. It's not really offensive or hurtful or arrogant (even if it was somewhat inspired by Kiffin's comment), so definitely falls under the "any publicity is good publicity" category. There will absolutely be more eyes on our game Saturday night (even if it's just casual observers flipping to it during commercial breaks of whatever game they're watching), and if we win we're way more likely to get ranked than without this attention.

And if it's not obvious, big props to the Tulane Equipment folks. They really make all the right moves when it comes to getting media attention on our team.

I can't wait to see the reveal video. They knock those out of the park too.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Like I said above, I’ve known since mid August that we would have a helmet decal referencing our sec championships. It was either going to be the listing of the years or a version referencing us as “3 time SEC Champ”. Lane Kiffin’s comments just coincidentally added to it
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Agreed, we arent trolling anyone but the press is great.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Not a fan of the "Greenie" helmet. I get the reference, just don't approve. Keep the Angry Wave and be done with it. I do like the SEC Champs sticker. Nice dig at Miss St/Vandy. I don't care if it's disrespectful or not, it's factual. Deal with it. NOW LET'S WIN THE FOOTBALL GAME.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Rotorooter wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:14 am Not a fan of the "Greenie" helmet. I get the reference, just don't approve. Keep the Angry Wave and be done with it. I do like the SEC Champs sticker. Nice dig at Miss St/Vandy. I don't care if it's disrespectful or not, it's factual. Deal with it. NOW LET'S WIN THE FOOTBALL GAME.
you left off Kentucky
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Johnny Mac wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:25 am
Rotorooter wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:14 am Not a fan of the "Greenie" helmet. I get the reference, just don't approve. Keep the Angry Wave and be done with it. I do like the SEC Champs sticker. Nice dig at Miss St/Vandy. I don't care if it's disrespectful or not, it's factual. Deal with it. NOW LET'S WIN THE FOOTBALL GAME.
you left off Kentucky
Wasn't sure of the third, so I left UK off. Might as well add Arky, SC. I'll give Mizzou and TAMU a pass. We did it in 17 years, they are coming up on that anniversary in the SEC in 8 years.
Plan your work, work your plan.
EagerBiever
Riptide Level

Post by EagerBiever »

All Tulane uniform publicity is good publicity. At this point, for better or worse, college football fans nationally know that Tulane has perfected the modernized retro look. Whether its the Angry Wave, the pelican riding the wave, or the old interlocking TU, they've all been received with a positive consensus nationally. I'd anticipate Greenie and the SEC champs stickers to be received positively as well.

And personally, I love them all. They certainly all beat the outdated and ugly T-wave.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

I just hope we don't go so retro to match up with the SEC championships that we leave off the facemasks.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

You know we’re retro when team wears olive green.
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Dishonorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Poseidon that was posted in the other thread (vibrations) and it's not an official Tulane release. I'm pretty sure the helmet was from an old post of helmet ideas from years ago (hence the mullet T on the flag).
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Rotorooter wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:45 am
Johnny Mac wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:25 am
you left off Kentucky
Wasn't sure of the third, so I left UK off. Might as well add Arky, SC. I'll give Mizzou and TAMU a pass. We did it in 17 years, they are coming up on that anniversary in the SEC in 8 years.
I had to look up to confirm.. since Bear was there, I was afraid they won as many as us... nope, only 2... I too give the post 1990 conference entries a pass when it comes to SEC championship trolling
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:38 am Poseidon that was posted in the other thread (vibrations) and it's not an official Tulane release. I'm pretty sure the helmet was from an old post of helmet ideas from years ago (hence the mullet T on the flag).
You’re wrong. It was mocked up by a guy that runs a Twitter account that archives uniforms worn in Ole Miss games.

Marathon Wave
Coach Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

waverider wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:36 pm Like I said above, I’ve known since mid August that we would have a helmet decal referencing our sec championships. It was either going to be the listing of the years or a version referencing us as “3 time SEC Champ”. Lane Kiffin’s comments just coincidentally added to it
Exactly! The sticker, etc, is best showcased against an SEC team, right? Kiffin just happened to say those words right before we were going to reveal.
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Navigator Level

Post by 1401973 »

As many SEC Championships (3) as the following schools - combined:

Kentucky (2)
Miss St (1)
Arkansas (0)
Missouri (0)
South Carolina (0)
Texas A&M (0)
Vanderbilt (0)
Oklahoma (0)
Texas (0)

I do not like taking the Angry Wave off the helmet. Don't mind the "greenie" but we have a real good thing going w the Angry Wave.
Marathon Wave
Coach Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

1401973 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:21 am As many SEC Championships (3) as the following schools - combined:

Kentucky (2)
Miss St (1)
Arkansas (0)
Missouri (0)
South Carolina (0)
Texas A&M (0)
Vanderbilt (0)
Oklahoma (0)
Texas (0)

I do not like taking the Angry Wave off the helmet. Don't mind the "greenie" but we have a real good thing going w the Angry Wave.
I agree, but last year against Navy and Tulsa....not so much.
Here's the question....after our victory, do we keep "greenie".....?
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

1401973 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:21 am As many SEC Championships (3) as the following schools - combined:

Kentucky (2)
Miss St (1)
Arkansas (0)
Missouri (0)
South Carolina (0)
Texas A&M (0)
Vanderbilt (0)
Oklahoma (0)
Texas (0)

I guess it's a good thing angry wave will still be on the helmet
STOP BUNTING gaddammit!!
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

visualmagic wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:13 am

You’re wrong. It was mocked up by a guy that runs a Twitter account that archives uniforms worn in Ole Miss games.
There is an entire Twitter account just to archive uniforms work in Ole Miss games? :shock:

We really are living in stupid times. The apocalypse really is nigh.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:38 am Poseidon that was posted in the other thread (vibrations) and it's not an official Tulane release. I'm pretty sure the helmet was from an old post of helmet ideas from years ago (hence the mullet T on the flag).
Fine, my point was its not actually the helmet.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

WaveProf wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:25 pm

There is an entire Twitter account just to archive uniforms work in Ole Miss games? :shock:

We really are living in stupid times. The apocalypse really is nigh.
You think that's bad, I saw on Instagram there's a guy who runs an account that posts pictures and videos of elevators...and there are people that follow it
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt