The view from Oxford

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Post Reply
User avatar
WaveProf
Emerald Circle
Posts: 23108
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans

The view from Oxford

Post by WaveProf »

Clarion Ledger

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/spo ... 278087002/


I love how media keeps focusing on the OU turnovers but never mentions we had three of the dumbest turnovers in history in the 2nd quarter (the only quarter we "lost"). What's good for the goose.....
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
User avatar
PeteRasche
Cornerstone
Posts: 26019
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by PeteRasche »

They also seem to attribute the turnovers to OU as if we had nothing to do with them, including dismissing the turnover on downs as though that was an OU blunder and not us stopping them.

Mention of Morgan State having better success than OU... Uh, against our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string defense. Nice research work there.

And mysteriously no mention of Ole Miss leading the nation in penalties and penalty yardage.
User avatar
Rotorooter
President's Circle
Posts: 4933
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by Rotorooter »

Let them think we are an inferior opponent. I'm sure the team doesn't, but let their fans feel they are 17.5 pts. better than we are. I love it. Be that much more of shock to their fans when we beat them. The best thing Willie can do is praise them for how good they are and how we have no chance. IOW, Lou Holtz 'em.

On a different topic, does anyone know if Tulane is having a tailgate tent?
Plan your work, work your plan.
User avatar
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle
Posts: 6993
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Gretna, LA

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by GretnaGrn »

I'm just going to note that the nickname for the Clarion-Ledger is the "Glaring Error."
Marathon Wave
Coach Level
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:40 pm
Location: Chattanooga area and partime in western NC

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by Marathon Wave »

From said article:

"Even FCS foe Morgan State had success completing passes against Tulane, connecting on 59% for three touchdowns."

They don't mention that two MSU TD's were against non-starters...last one with no time left and against scout squad. Just saying, our best guys were standing on sidelines.
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
RI WAVE
Breaker Level
Posts: 454
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:14 am
Location: East Greenwich, RI

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by RI WAVE »

While the fans may underrate Tulane - I do not think we will sneak up on anyone this year.

I do believe we have better players than we have had in a long while with more depth and quality on the 2nd string. We also have more talent at quarterback, but the Ole Miss D is going to be a big challenge. I do not know how we match up against this team but I am excited that we are going to be competitive and the team is playing with confidence. And, Our conditioning seems improved.

This is a huge test for very talented Tulane squad. Coaches & Players have to improve their "game" and we need to win the Turnover battle - if we want to make a statement! But, it is truly fun to watch TULANE Football again, and we all have been waiting a very long time for this to occur. Roll Wave!
User avatar
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle
Posts: 9219
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Floriduh

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by Johnny Mac »

RI WAVE wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:01 am While the fans may underrate Tulane - I do not think we will sneak up on anyone this year.

I do believe we have better players than we have had in a long while with more depth and quality on the 2nd string. We also have more talent at quarterback, but the Ole Miss D is going to be a big challenge. I do not know how we match up against this team but I am excited that we are going to be competitive and the team is playing with confidence. And, Our conditioning seems improved.

This is a huge test for very talented Tulane squad. Coaches & Players have to improve their "game" and we need to win the Turnover battle - if we want to make a statement! But, it is truly fun to watch TULANE Football again, and we all have been waiting a very long time for this to occur. Roll Wave!
the Ole Miss football team will not be underrating us... from their coach: "(Tulane) is a really good team, very talented, very well coached. And that's not coach-speak . . . you can see it on film," Kiffin said, per 247 Sports. "They go to Norman and go down to the last play of the game. Watching, they have really good players. Like a lot of times, these Alabama, Louisiana schools . . . there are a lot of players there in the state. They can't all go to Alabama, Auburn or LSU, so we see them all over the place, really. They're good-looking kids."

We did an awesome job of trolling them, though

https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/15/t ... -on-helmet
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
1401973
Navigator Level
Posts: 1319
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:06 am
Location: River Ridge

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by 1401973 »

Agree RI.
Play a "clean" game and we are in it.
We need to improve on our close game record. In one score (8 pts or less) results WF is 10-17 at TU.
User avatar
Rotorooter
President's Circle
Posts: 4933
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by Rotorooter »

RI WAVE wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:01 am While the fans may underrate Tulane - I do not think we will sneak up on anyone this year.

I do believe we have better players than we have had in a long while with more depth and quality on the 2nd string. We also have more talent at quarterback, but the Ole Miss D is going to be a big challenge. I do not know how we match up against this team but I am excited that we are going to be competitive and the team is playing with confidence. And, Our conditioning seems improved.

This is a huge test for very talented Tulane squad. Coaches & Players have to improve their "game" and we need to win the Turnover battle - if we want to make a statement! But, it is truly fun to watch TULANE Football again, and we all have been waiting a very long time for this to occur. Roll Wave!
Regarding the Ole Miss D, #44 is a Patrick Johnson-type of disrupter and we have to scheme for him. Their D is also playing much more cohesively. It is going to be a battle. Other years I say no way; this season, though, we have a legit chance, especially if we can get some turnovers. I for one will be watching the LoS to see how competitive we are there. It all stems from that success/failure.
Plan your work, work your plan.
User avatar
CT Wave
Coach Level
Posts: 1991
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:05 pm
Location: Naples, FL

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by CT Wave »

Marathon Wave wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:41 am From said article:

"Even FCS foe Morgan State had success completing passes against Tulane, connecting on 59% for three touchdowns."

They don't mention that two MSU TD's were against non-starters...last one with no time left and against scout squad. Just saying, our best guys were standing on sidelines.
It is a pretty funny article. Does this remind you of Rattler before our game:

"Quarterback Matt Corral hasn't thrown an interception in his last 120 pass attempts. Over the last two seasons he's completed 70% of his pass attempts and averaged 10.2 yards per pass attempt."

Paging Mr. Canady. Now compare and contrast mistakes and offensive failings by MSU:

"But between two interceptions and a lost fumble, Morgan State's mistakes were a bigger factor than offensive failings."

And finally, are these two sentences talking about Tulane defense so far this season:

"It's one thing to create turnovers when your opponent isn't moving the ball. It's another to create turnovers despite not playing particularly well otherwise."
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
User avatar
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle
Posts: 9219
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Floriduh

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by Johnny Mac »

CT Wave wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:14 am
Marathon Wave wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:41 am From said article:

"Even FCS foe Morgan State had success completing passes against Tulane, connecting on 59% for three touchdowns."

They don't mention that two MSU TD's were against non-starters...last one with no time left and against scout squad. Just saying, our best guys were standing on sidelines.
It is a pretty funny article. Does this remind you of Rattler before our game:

"Quarterback Matt Corral hasn't thrown an interception in his last 120 pass attempts. Over the last two seasons he's completed 70% of his pass attempts and averaged 10.2 yards per pass attempt."

Paging Mr. Canady. Now compare and contrast mistakes and offensive failings by MSU:

"But between two interceptions and a lost fumble, Morgan State's mistakes were a bigger factor than offensive failings."

And finally, are these two sentences talking about Tulane defense so far this season:

"It's one thing to create turnovers when your opponent isn't moving the ball. It's another to create turnovers despite not playing particularly well otherwise."
how 'bout saying Ole Miss offense is less prone to mistakes than Oklahoma... seriously?
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Marathon Wave
Coach Level
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:40 pm
Location: Chattanooga area and partime in western NC

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by Marathon Wave »

Johnny Mac wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:29 am
CT Wave wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:14 am
Marathon Wave wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:41 am From said article:

"Even FCS foe Morgan State had success completing passes against Tulane, connecting on 59% for three touchdowns."

They don't mention that two MSU TD's were against non-starters...last one with no time left and against scout squad. Just saying, our best guys were standing on sidelines.
It is a pretty funny article. Does this remind you of Rattler before our game:

"Quarterback Matt Corral hasn't thrown an interception in his last 120 pass attempts. Over the last two seasons he's completed 70% of his pass attempts and averaged 10.2 yards per pass attempt."

Paging Mr. Canady. Now compare and contrast mistakes and offensive failings by MSU:

"But between two interceptions and a lost fumble, Morgan State's mistakes were a bigger factor than offensive failings."

And finally, are these two sentences talking about Tulane defense so far this season:

"It's one thing to create turnovers when your opponent isn't moving the ball. It's another to create turnovers despite not playing particularly well otherwise."
how 'bout saying Ole Miss offense is less prone to mistakes than Oklahoma... seriously?
Only because they haven't played us yet.
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Marathon Wave
Coach Level
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:40 pm
Location: Chattanooga area and partime in western NC

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by Marathon Wave »

Just reread this one...

"In four years in Oxford, Corral has never thrown an interception in an Ole Miss win."

He just throws them in losses.
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
User avatar
Private Joker
Navigator Level
Posts: 1422
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:50 pm
Location: Bainbridge Island USA

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by Private Joker »

Marathon Wave wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:59 pm Just reread this one...

"In four years in Oxford, Corral has never thrown an interception in an Ole Miss win."

He just throws them in losses.
Haha. What a genius sentence by the sportswriter.

The Sooners are far more talented than Ole Miss, and we took them to the wire. I like our chances.
User avatar
OGSB
Emerald Circle
Posts: 17718
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by OGSB »

Private Joker wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:48 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:59 pm Just reread this one...

"In four years in Oxford, Corral has never thrown an interception in an Ole Miss win."

He just throws them in losses.
Haha. What a genius sentence by the sportswriter.

The Sooners are far more talented than Ole Miss, and we took them to the wire. I like our chances.
If we can take Oklahoma to the wire, we can take Ole Miss to the wire!
Approved by Experts
User avatar
PeteRasche
Cornerstone
Posts: 26019
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by PeteRasche »

Marathon Wave wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:59 pm Just reread this one...

"In four years in Oxford, Corral has never thrown an interception in an Ole Miss win."

He just throws them in losses.
Personally I read that sentence and thought about how the whole argument was immediately out the window if we get even a single interception.
User avatar
waverider
Cornerstone
Posts: 25791
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: North Kenner

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:21 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:59 pm Just reread this one...

"In four years in Oxford, Corral has never thrown an interception in an Ole Miss win."

He just throws them in losses.
Personally I read that sentence and thought about how the whole argument was immediately out the window if we get even a single interception.
So you’re saying that we will pick him off but still expect to lose?
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
User avatar
PeteRasche
Cornerstone
Posts: 26019
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:45 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:21 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:59 pm Just reread this one...

"In four years in Oxford, Corral has never thrown an interception in an Ole Miss win."

He just throws them in losses.
Personally I read that sentence and thought about how the whole argument was immediately out the window if we get even a single interception.
So you’re saying that we will pick him off but still expect to lose?
Um, no...
greenguy
Riptide Level
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:00 pm
Location: Pensacola

Re: The view from Oxford

Post by greenguy »

The Clarion Ledger, like most Gannet newspapers, is staffed by 24-years old's who probably grew up in Maryland or Ohio or something. It's a shadow of what it used to be, which was never much.
Post Reply