Good vibrations for game 3, Ole Miss

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: Good vibrations for game 3, Ole Miss

Post by waverider »

RI WAVE wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:20 am Their explosive offense will be a litmus test for our revamped D.

They have O playmakers and we appear to defend the long play/pass better this year. Can the Tulane D line put pressure on Their QB?

Rumors are that we will test their run defense… I trust our O will be competitive!

https://olemisssports.com/news/2021/9/1 ... ulane.aspx

Tulane - Ole Miss - will Kiffen sniff at the USC job, they think their QB is best in SEC, typical SEC hype that makes it fun… let’s see what happens.
I can’t wait to see what these two new guys can do:
Iver Celestine and Camero Carroll lead the rushing attack
As I said before, I’m more concerned with what our OL can do than what our DL can do against them.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Okay here is a link where you can keep an eye on the weather in Oxford, MS right on through what should be gametime and beyond as time winds down to kickoff on Saturday.

https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/ ... 749d51d223

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

We need to score a lot of points in this game which means we must keep Pratt upright. We are facing the best QB in the SEC. We need them to eat up clock on their scoring drives. And mix in a couple of FG’s. Tall task in Oxford tomorrow night, but no reason to think we don’t have a chance.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

I concur. We need to put a good amount of points on the board vs the Rebs. And I think we can. Not to the extent of getting 69, but we appear to have enough weapons on the offensive side to get the job done. But the "D" has to show up also. The weather could be a problem, but both teams will have to deal with that. Anway, I have a feeling the "over" will come into play eventually, so I believe we just have to outscore the Rebs. 34-28 seems like the type of score will will be on the board when the clock winds down to 0:00 in the 4th Quarter. If that's the case, let's get that 34 number.

Fan since '54
Last edited by Fan Since '54 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Fan Since '54 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:51 pm I concur. We need to put a good amount of points on the board vs the Rebs. And I think we can. Not to the extent of getting 69, but we appear to have enough weapons on the offensive side to get the job done. But the "D" has to show up also. The weather could be a problem, but both teams will have to deal with that. Anway, I have a feeling the "over" will come into play eventually, so I beleive we just have to outscore the Rebs. 34-28 seems like the type of score will will be on the board when the clock winds down to 0:00 in the 4th Quarter. Let's get that 34 number. :mrgreen:

Fan since '54
34 won't do it unless either weather plays a big factor or we get at least 3+ turnovers.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Or better yet...3 turnovers MORE than the Rebs.

Fan since '54
Last edited by Fan Since '54 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

In case y'all missed it, Shaun King, now working for VSIN (a gambling site) still backing the Wave and saying we could win outright...

https://twitter.com/VSiNLive/status/143 ... 34336?s=01
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Thanks for that post Pete Rasche. And Shaun King...there was a pretty good+ QB @ Tulane. And I'm with Shaun. I think the Wave will win this one. And one more thing. Maybe those new helmets will help thrust the Wave forward!

Fan since '54
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:12 pm In case y'all missed it, Shaun King, now working for VSIN (a gambling site) still backing the Wave and saying we could win outright...

https://twitter.com/VSiNLive/status/143 ... 34336?s=01
Good find. Thanks Pete. Roll Wave!
We deserve so much better
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Fan Since '54 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:51 pm But the "D" has to show up also.

Fan since '54
That's what she said
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

Looks like it's gonna be a wet one. Could that favor the WAVE? Let's splash the rebs.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Marathon Wave wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:07 pm Looks like it's gonna be a wet one.
That, too, is what she said.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

You guys watched too much of the office.
MOVING ON UP!
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Marathon Wave wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:07 pm Looks like it's gonna be a wet one. Could that favor the WAVE? Let's splash the rebs.
A wet game could slow down their passing game and keep the game low scoring but I don’t think we can keep up with them if we have to run the ball more than we pass. Our OL will get exposed.
Tulane Greenbackers

Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

waverider wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:46 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:07 pm Looks like it's gonna be a wet one. Could that favor the WAVE? Let's splash the rebs.
A wet game could slow down their passing game and keep the game low scoring but I don’t think we can keep up with them if we have to run the ball more than we pass. Our OL will get exposed.
Not arguing, but wouldn't a low scoring game help us? My understanding is that the ole miss offense will be difficult to keep up with. So, anything that slows it down helps us? Rain would also slow down our passing attack, but I read we need to establish run....to slow down the game and take time off clock.
MOVING ON UP!
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Marathon Wave wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:31 am
Not arguing, but wouldn't a low scoring game help us? My understanding is that the ole miss offense will be difficult to keep up with. So, anything that slows it down helps us? Rain would also slow down our passing attack, but I read we need to establish run....to slow down the game and take time off clock.
A wet game favors the team who owns the LoS. We should want this game more than Ole Miss does--we have more to gain, we need to get off the schneid against ranked teams, P5 teams and SEC teams. As Vince Gibson famously said, "it's time we got our respect back, we've worked hard."

I hope we don't fall into the "we need to take time off the clock with our running game" mentality, it smacks so much of the defeatism of the Toledo era. If we own the LoS, we will run the ball; otherwise, utilize our strengths regardless of conditions. If our TEs will be as open as the first two games, use them.

It will be an interesting game, especially if it is wet. Two very similar offenses. It will boil down to execution and who will want it more. Hopefully, it will not come down to close referee calls. Leave no doubt.
Plan your work, work your plan.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Marathon Wave wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:31 am
Actually what's been said is that we are going to run more because of the defensive scheme they run. Long doesn't just give lip service to taking what they give you. He thinks their 3-2-6 defense is vulnerable to the run so that's why we focus there. As to the other theory times have changed and it's a bad plan to just try and run clock to keep the other team from scoring a bunch. They don't need the ball long to score. You try doing long drives and your prone to more turnovers. We did better against OU b/c we didn't follow that ancient thought process. We're playing to win not just keep the margin of loss down. it's the way to go.
We deserve so much better
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Marathon Wave wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:14 pm You guys watched too much of the office.
Actually I don't think I've ever watched a full episode
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Lots of rain in Oxford this morning (radar currently has the whole area covered in oranges and reds) but looks like it will move out by Noon CT. Unclear whether more will come later, as the remnants of Nicholas are just kinda sitting off to the east.

I noted earlier in the week that they have natural turf... Hopefully that means they cover the field prior to the game (i.e., now).
sprout1550
Coach Level

Post by sprout1550 »

I’m here now and it has been flash flood type rain off and on for two hours....
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

Yikes!
MOVING ON UP!
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

All our game captains are native Mississippians (Carroll, Claybrook, Wallace, Anderson, Johnson).
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

long green wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:24 pm All our game captains are native Mississippians (Carroll, Claybrook, Wallace, Anderson, Johnson).
Now that's a nice touch.
MOVING ON UP!
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Guerry tweeted that it’s an sec officiating crew tonight. They are always fair and impartial :?

Looking at the future radar, there’s a brief shower possible around kickoff but otherwise clear from now until the game is over.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Tulane tweeted a photo of the field 20 minutes ago (under clear skies) and it's not covered, at least now.

Considering they ripped out field turf and put back natural turf about 5 years ago, I'd expect they took that opportunity to install modern drainage below the turf. Hopefully the field should be in good shape.