Your happy final: Tulane 69 Morgan St 20

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: Your happy final: Tulane 69 Morgan St 20

Post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:46 pm
tjtlja wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:16 pm Did any of the young guys stand out? Did the young WR’s play? How did Ibieta look?
Celestine ran really, really well... he's going to be good
Ibieta looked solid... he had a couple of bad throws, but overall was good
Jesus Machado looked really good as well
Cooper got a lot of playing time.. his normal rotation and then a few more series with the second unit.. he made some plays and a couple of mistakes
Was it Cooper that tipped the ball to Watts for the TD?
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:56 pm
tjtlja wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:16 pm Did any of the young guys stand out? Did the young WR’s play? How did Ibieta look?
Cooper got a lot of playing time.. his normal rotation and then a few more series with the second unit.. he made some plays and a couple of mistakes
No it was Keitha Jones, Jr. He had 2 catches for 17 yards, I believe all on that one drive.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:53 pm After today’s TD on the recovered fumble after the blocked FG, I’ve now seen two of the strangest scores on special teams including Toles’s “interception” against Army last season.
Shout out to my friend Slidellwave who watched the game with me... a stats and rules expert... the minute the play happened he said "that's a touchdown, that's the Leon Lett rule" before the refs even started to huddle. Sure enough it was, and sure enough after the commercial the announcers started talking about the infamous Leon Lett play from Thanksgiving 1993 (which I coincidentally watched at Slidellwave's apartment) and how none of the players in today's game were even born then... :lol:
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:16 pm
Baywave1 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:53 pm After today’s TD on the recovered fumble after the blocked FG, I’ve now seen two of the strangest scores on special teams including Toles’s “interception” against Army last season.
Shout out to my friend Slidellwave who watched the game with me... a stats and rules expert... the minute the play happened he said "that's a touchdown, that's the Leon Lett rule" before the refs even started to huddle. Sure enough it was, and sure enough after the commercial the announcers started talking about the infamous Leon Lett play from Thanksgiving 1993 (which I coincidentally watched at Slidellwave's apartment) and how none of the players in today's game were even born then... :lol:
My cousin and I said the same thing about Lett. I was at the Arlington Hotel in Hot Springs watching that game.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:10 pm
waverider wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:56 pm
No it was Keitha Jones, Jr. He had 2 catches for 17 yards, I believe all on that one drive.
Mixed up my Keiths and Keithas.
Tulane Greenbackers

Marathon Wave
Coach Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

Baywave1 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:53 pm
After today’s TD on the recovered fumble after the blocked FG, I’ve now seen two of the strangest scores on special teams including Toles’s “interception” against Army last season.
Perhaps we'll have a lucky cloud following us this season, much like the one Tulsa had last year.
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

I am out of the country and can’t see the video. Is there a link to get a fuller account of the game?
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Approved by Experts
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:35 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:16 pm
My cousin and I said the same thing about Lett. I was at the Arlington Hotel in Hot Springs watching that game.
"Leon Lett it be" :lol: :lol:
https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 71316.html
Bham Wave
Coach Level

Post by Bham Wave »

One of the most impressive things about Henry's pick six was watching Jeffrey Johnson chug down the field with him trying to get a block. Dude looks good minus those extra 50 pounds.
Roll Wave Roll!!!
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Bham Wave wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:48 am One of the most impressive things about Henry's pick six was watching Jeffrey Johnson chug down the field with him trying to get a block. Dude looks good minus those extra 50 pounds.
Had the same notion. He's slimmer and quicker but still has that big nose guard behind. :lol:
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

long green wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:46 pm That was Duece, not Dorian. Dual numbers.
Thanks. I thought he may be going both ways. The box score actually had it as Dorian.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Johnny, thanks for the update. Appreciate it.

How did the 2nd unit OL look? Any freshman in that rotation?
Bham Wave
Coach Level

Post by Bham Wave »

Second unit Oline looked OK except for Caleb Thomas's snaps. They were awful. Almost every play got off rhythm because he was throwing these soft pop ups back to our QB. I was actually surprised they left him in that long doing that. It was terrible. The third string center went in during the middle of a series and immediately the snaps got better. I have to think if something happens to Haynesworth that Dublin would move over to center.

If I remember the second unit Oline was Shafter at LT and Jackel at RT. Fort at RG. Thomas and Center. I think Lombardi was at LG but I can not remember for sure.
Roll Wave Roll!!!
Marathon Wave
Coach Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

ESPN has some strange stats for the game. Shows 1 attempt by Ibieta, 0 completions, 0 yards.
All passing yardage credited to Pratt.
Only one interception (Henry).

https://www.espn.com/college-football/t ... /_/id/2655

Haven't gone through entire stat sheet, but these are glaringly wrong.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Bham Wave wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:51 pm Second unit Oline looked OK except for Caleb Thomas's snaps. They were awful. Almost every play got off rhythm because he was throwing these soft pop ups back to our QB. I was actually surprised they left him in that long doing that. It was terrible. The third string center went in during the middle of a series and immediately the snaps got better. I have to think if something happens to Haynesworth that Dublin would move over to center.

If I remember the second unit Oline was Shafter at LT and Jackel at RT. Fort at RG. Thomas and Center. I think Lombardi was at LG but I can not remember for sure.
Don’t forget the slow roller to the QB.
I think you are correct in that another OL would slide over and take the Center duties.
Tulane Greenbackers

tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I don't really know where else to put this, but thought it notable that the Morgan St. win makes Coach Fritz the 6th Tulane coach to reach 30 victories. If we go 7-5 this year he'll be tied with Scelfo for second in all time wins through far fewer games. 8 wins puts him in second place alone, with plenty of ground to make up on Shaughnessy for the all time wins leader. He'd need to reach 60 victories to be first all-time.
Marathon Wave
Coach Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:04 am I don't really know where else to put this, but thought it notable that the Morgan St. win makes Coach Fritz the 6th Tulane coach to reach 30 victories. If we go 7-5 this year he'll be tied with Scelfo for second in all time wins through far fewer games. 8 wins puts him in second place alone, with plenty of ground to make up on Shaughnessy for the all time wins leader. He'd need to reach 60 victories to be first all-time.
He's already halfway to Shaughnessy.
charlamange8
Breaker Level

Post by charlamange8 »

1401973 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:40 pm Wife and I went to the game. I was pleasantly surprised by the crowd. I bet there have been less real bodies at the Dome in the bad old days.
The team energy was high from the first snap. Excellent.
Our OC rode the QBs all game. IMO the interceptions are on him. No reason to be throwing in those situations.
I liked both Brumfield and Celestine.
We have at least 25 very good looking defensive players that are nearly interchangeable.
I’m still not convinced about our WRs. Not sure Deuce Watts was targeted.

Some a$$whole wore an lsu cap to the game. He sat behind a few former TU players who was giving him an earful (nicely but clearly).
He left before halftime with a chorus of “lsu suks” and “Roll tide” raining down on his sorry arse.
Hey that was me! I was sitting with Dwight Jones (who was really getting on him) and Shane Marshall.
Charles
"Wisdom and the Sword"
1998 C-USA Champions
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price." - Sun Tzu
charlamange8
Breaker Level

Post by charlamange8 »

I had a field pass for the game and we played so many guys I thought about sneaking in the game. Literally everyone with shoulder pads played, set a school record for players playing in a game. The stats are a bit messed up this week, there were problems with numbers matching the roster, good problems to have when you are playing 3rd and 4th team players. That last TD, the Morgan WR literally threw our DB out of the way and caught the ball...the refs swallowed their whistles.

Back to the game, we dominated up front as we should have, starting defense only gave up that short field TD...and even that was on a 2nd string CB who is known to be suspect in coverage. Ibeita and everyone else got some good experience which was great to see, the starters did not play past midway into the 2nd qtr. I almost lost it when Chip Long called Ibeita a dumarse after he threw that 50/50 ball that was picked in the endzone. From what I heard the wr ran the wrong route. The snaps were bad from the 2nd team center, slow and wobbly....really threw off the timing of plays. Otherwise the 2nd team o-line blocked very well, and started opening up some gaping holes in the 3rd and 4th qtrs when our depth really began to tell. We have so much more depth than 3 years ago, when someone like Celestine is 4th string, that says something. We only had 1 dropped pass, Phat Watts, who then made up for it catching that tipped ball. Man that was a fun day...now the real season begins.
Charles
"Wisdom and the Sword"
1998 C-USA Champions
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price." - Sun Tzu
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

On the latest "The Current", Fritz says well over 100 guys played.

If you haven't listened to his comments (second half of the episode), it's worth it... Just his comments about how he told all the guys, even those who know they may never see the field again, they can take this day for the rest of their lives and be able to say "I played D1 football".
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:28 pm On the latest "The Current", Fritz says well over 100 guys played.
If only someone had listened to the postgame interview and posted it here :wink:
waverider wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:39 pm Willie Fritz: Every guy that dressed got in the game. About 110-115 guys.
Tulane Greenbackers

Navigator Level

Post by 1401973 »

charlamange8 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:55 am
Hey that was me! I was sitting with Dwight Jones (who was really getting on him) and Shane Marshall.
I love you guys! Y'all jumped on that hat within one second of that guy sitting there and didn’t relent. My wife and I were loving it from a few rows above you.
When he tried to turn his ugly arse purple hat around y’all said: Don’t do that! Now everybody in the stands has to see that ugly lsu stuff. Ha ha ha.
And in typical chicken $heit fashion he cut and ran when the going got tough. Was nowhere to be found by halftime.