2021 Future Opponents

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Poseidon
President's Circle

2021 Future Opponents

Post by Poseidon »

First, my heart sincerely goes out to everyone who has been rocked by this storm, and this comes from a from a person who too often has a coldly logical historical perspective on these things. I also want to tell everyone who has been putting in the 10-20 hour work days on the this recovery I am right beside you and your work matters.

Now to Tulane football.
As a mild distraction tonight comes in the form of UAB who is a future opponent. They play tonight, Wednesday 9/1, on ESPN at 6:30.

Roll Wave!
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Dishonorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: 2021 Future Opponents

Post by PeteRasche »

I can only imagine the UAB guys were all excited to get their own new stadium and get out of the dump that is Legion Field - only to have their Week 4 game be a road game at...Tulane Legion Field.
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:48 pm I can only imagine the UAB guys were all excited to get their own new stadium and get out of the dump that is Legion Field - only to have their Week 4 game be a road game at...Tulane Legion Field.
I'll bite and stray off topic for a moment, but I wonder if Superdome may be in play for that game if the school isn't ready to host.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Marathon Wave
Coach Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

Poseidon wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:56 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:48 pm I can only imagine the UAB guys were all excited to get their own new stadium and get out of the dump that is Legion Field - only to have their Week 4 game be a road game at...Tulane Legion Field.
I'll bite and stray off topic for a moment, but I wonder if Superdome may be in play for that game if the school isn't ready to host.
Would it have anything to do with power....or its non-existent? I think Saints are planning on not being "home" for awhile.
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Marathon Wave
Coach Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

Poseidon wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:24 pm
Now to Tulane football.
As a mild distraction tonight comes in the form of UAB who is a future opponent. They play tonight, Wednesday 9/1, on ESPN at 6:30.

Roll Wave!
Thanks! Gives me something to do tonight.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Easy win for UAB against FCS team. It didn’t matter last night but JSU played in the spring. I doubt (really only a SWAG) that it will make a difference in results elsewhere either.
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Turned on Memphis to check their new QB out and.... the opposing QB was he who shall not be named.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Poseidon wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:58 pm Turned on Memphis to check their new QB out and.... the opposing QB was he who shall not be named.
Let’s start a 15 page thread about him :razz:
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

After one week:

Morgan St. - 0-1, 31-0 L to Towson
Ole Miss - TBD, -10 vs Louisville
UAB - 1-0, 31-0 over Jacksonville St.
ECU - 0-1 33-9 L to App St.
Houston - 0-1, 38-21 L to Texas Tech
SMU - 1-0, 59-6 over Abilene Christian
CInci - 1-0. 49-14 over Miami, OH
UCF - 1-0, 36-31 over Boise St.
Tulsa - 0-1, 19-17 L to UC Davis
USF - 0-1, 45-0 L to NC St.
Memphis - 1-0, 42-17 over Nicholls

I don't know what the heck happened to Houston. They led 21-7 at half and were in control. Then they gave up 31 unanswered in the second half. Looks like 4 turnovers did them in. Overall the league looks pretty weak through one week.
Marathon Wave
Coach Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

Thanks for putting the above together, outlaw.
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Poseidon wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:58 pm Turned on Memphis to check their new QB out and.... the opposing QB was he who shall not be named.
is he on the Jon English plan?
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Marathon Wave
Coach Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

as we put 35 on OU, I expect a SMU/Abilene type score against (Harry) Morgan St.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:12 pm
is he on the Jon English plan?
Jon English would be eligible with today's rules.
Plan your work, work your plan.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:53 pm as we put 35 on OU, I expect a SMU/Abilene type score against (Harry) Morgan St.
Let's be real. I know there were FCS upsets this past weekend but for the most part they were by better FCS teams against bad FBS teams. Morgan State got shut out 31-0 by Towson State. We should be able to win this one playing nothing but subs. But since we're not going to do that (at least early) I suspect this is a "name the score" type game. I will be disappointed if Morgan State scores on us - if they do I suspect it will be a fluke play or a turnover-6 where we tried something fancy and goofed it up. Short of drops, penalties, or general sloppiness on offense, we should score on almost every possession.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:40 am After one week:

I don't know what the heck happened to Houston. They led 21-7 at half and were in control. Then they gave up 31 unanswered in the second half. Looks like 4 turnovers did them in. Overall the league looks pretty weak through one week.
Outlaw, I think you know I live in the Houston area. Looking at what Dana Holgorsen says and does leads me to believe he is not vested in this program like Briles, Sumlin, and Hermann were. I think he is disinterested. We certainly need to beat this team this year.

I agree through one week that the lower part of the league seems down. But Cinncy, UCF, SMU, Memphis, and even ECU will be difficult. We have an opportunity to break up that group. I am praying this is the year.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

tjtlja wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:13 pm

Outlaw, I think you know I live in the Houston area. Looking at what Dana Holgorsen says and does leads me to believe he is not vested in this program like Briles, Sumlin, and Hermann were. I think he is disinterested. We certainly need to beat this team this year.

I agree through one week that the lower part of the league seems down. But Cinncy, UCF, SMU, Memphis, and even ECU will be difficult. We have an opportunity to break up that group. I am praying this is the year.
It's not looking great for him. Nothing he has done so far has them performing up to potential. This would be a prime year to finish squarely in the top 3 or 4 teams in conference. I think we can do it if we play like we did against OU consistently. That's very hard to do, but it did reveal our best is really good.

I expect a bit of a sloppy showing this week. I think we win comfortably but this game is squeezed between two big games and of course this past week was full of emotion. Morgan St. Will tell us even less than OU, except for maybe revealing the true order of the depth chart. Even playing our B- game we should run circles around Morgan St.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Ole Miss is absolutely pantsing Louisville right now, 23-0 2nd quarter. Ole Miss is playing with tremendous pace, which will challenge us. It's obvious Louisville is pretty limited on offense. They can't pass at all, so it's making the Ole Miss D look better than they are. I think we can score on them, but they are likely going to make all of their games a track meet.
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:40 pm Ole Miss is absolutely pantsing Louisville right now, 23-0 2nd quarter. Ole Miss is playing with tremendous pace, which will challenge us. It's obvious Louisville is pretty limited on offense. They can't pass at all, so it's making the Ole Miss D look better than they are. I think we can score on them, but they are likely going to make all of their games a track meet.
Their OC is Jeff Lebby who was at UCF before Ole Miss. Their offense is everybit as good as OU's IMO, quite possibly better. They are a bacd matchup for us. They werent before Kiffen got there.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Marathon Wave
Coach Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:13 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:53 pm as we put 35 on OU, I expect a SMU/Abilene type score against (Harry) Morgan St.
Let's be real. I know there were FCS upsets this past weekend but for the most part they were by better FCS teams against bad FBS teams. Morgan State got shut out 31-0 by Towson State. We should be able to win this one playing nothing but subs. But since we're not going to do that (at least early) I suspect this is a "name the score" type game. I will be disappointed if Morgan State scores on us - if they do I suspect it will be a fluke play or a turnover-6 where we tried something fancy and goofed it up. Short of drops, penalties, or general sloppiness on offense, we should score on almost every possession.
59 - 6 would be a poor showing??????
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:28 pm
tjtlja wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:13 pm

It's not looking great for him. Nothing he has done so far has them performing up to potential. This would be a prime year to finish squarely in the top 3 or 4 teams in conference. I think we can do it if we play like we did against OU consistently. That's very hard to do, but it did reveal our best is really good.

I expect a bit of a sloppy showing this week. I think we win comfortably but this game is squeezed between two big games and of course this past week was full of emotion. Morgan St. Will tell us even less than OU, except for maybe revealing the true order of the depth chart. Even playing our B- game we should run circles around Morgan St.
Outlaw, the Houston situation reminds me of Tuberville at Cincinnati.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Poseidon wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:41 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:40 pm Ole Miss is absolutely pantsing Louisville right now, 23-0 2nd quarter. Ole Miss is playing with tremendous pace, which will challenge us. It's obvious Louisville is pretty limited on offense. They can't pass at all, so it's making the Ole Miss D look better than they are. I think we can score on them, but they are likely going to make all of their games a track meet.
Their OC is Jeff Lebby who was at UCF before Ole Miss. Their offense is everybit as good as OU's IMO, quite possibly better. They are a bacd matchup for us. They werent before Kiffen got there.
Their offense is terrific. Best offense we will play entire season. They make it look too easy.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I agree that Ole Miss may be the toughest game on our schedule, but, I don’t know how bad Louisville actually is. If nothing else, the OU game should have us believing we can play with anyone.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:12 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:13 pm
59 - 6 would be a poor showing??????
Of course not. But if Towson can shut them out, we should be capable. We have taken shut-outs to the end against FCS teams in the past and lost them, and it's always like, "dang, wish we could have shut them out" but nobody really loses sleep. It's usually lost by a fluke long bomb or something, they shouldn't be having sustained drives against us, ya know? If they go 11 plays, 85 yards and score, that would be disappointing. Especially against our first team or even second team.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

The goal is not to shut Morgan State out. The goal is to win and do your best to avoid injuries (keep Pratt healthy). It would be nice to get some guys going in what I hope will be limited time (Deuce, Jackson, Spears) before turning it over to others.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
Carolina Greenie
Riptide Level

Post by Carolina Greenie »

Outlaw, the Houston situation reminds me of Tuberville at Cincinnati.

Or Buffet Bob?