OU game predictions

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
User avatar
doncecco
President's Circle
Posts: 3783
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:37 pm
Location: North Haven, CT

Re: OU game predictions

Post by doncecco »

Would really suck if this games ends up having to be moved.
Bring home da Wave!
User avatar
Poseidon
President's Circle
Posts: 4093
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: Baton Rouge

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Poseidon »

Yes.

There will be a lot suck over the next few days in south Louisiana.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Dishonorable mention - Navy
User avatar
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle
Posts: 5485
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Greeneville, TN

Re: OU game predictions

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

We're supposed to hear more this afternoon, but it's already leaking out that the game is being moved to Norman. I'm sure we'll also hear whether the later game we're supposed to have in Norman will be moved to NOLA instead. College football is not a priority right now, but man does is blow to not get to host a top 5 team on campus. With the way college athletics are going, I don't know if we'll get many more chances at that.
User avatar
PeteRasche
Cornerstone
Posts: 26037
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: OU game predictions

Post by PeteRasche »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:34 am We're supposed to hear more this afternoon, but it's already leaking out that the game is being moved to Norman. I'm sure we'll also hear whether the later game we're supposed to have in Norman will be moved to NOLA instead. College football is not a priority right now, but man does is blow to not get to host a top 5 team on campus. With the way college athletics are going, I don't know if we'll get many more chances at that.
The Athletic is reporting the game being moved, though only from "sources", not officially. But from what's going on, there's no way the game is being played in New Orleans. Tulane might have generators, but hotels, restaurants/catering, etc. - all the stuff needed to host a game - are not going to be available.

A friend is a Packers fan and was looking at coming in for the Packers/Saints game on 9/12. He said Packers channels are saying the game may be moved to Dallas. If the NFL is moving a game out of New Orleans, no way our Morgan State game is played at home either.
fearthewave
Breaker Level
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:29 pm

Re: OU game predictions

Post by fearthewave »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:49 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:34 am We're supposed to hear more this afternoon, but it's already leaking out that the game is being moved to Norman. I'm sure we'll also hear whether the later game we're supposed to have in Norman will be moved to NOLA instead. College football is not a priority right now, but man does is blow to not get to host a top 5 team on campus. With the way college athletics are going, I don't know if we'll get many more chances at that.
The Athletic is reporting the game being moved, though only from "sources", not officially. But from what's going on, there's no way the game is being played in New Orleans. Tulane might have generators, but hotels, restaurants/catering, etc. - all the stuff needed to host a game - are not going to be available.

A friend is a Packers fan and was looking at coming in for the Packers/Saints game on 9/12. He said Packers channels are saying the game may be moved to Dallas. If the NFL is moving a game out of New Orleans, no way our Morgan State game is played at home either.
Report from Ross Dellenger is that Tulane will announce today that we are either going to Norman or the game is being canceled, which is why Troy Dannen publicly pushed back on earlier reports from OU media and nationals.

That said, given that the team has been able to practice in Birmingham, my expectation is that this will be a go and it will happen in Norman. This is just a hunch but I would suspect that Tulane wants to work out contract details to ensure it gets a return trip from Oklahoma for the final game.
User avatar
PeteRasche
Cornerstone
Posts: 26037
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: OU game predictions

Post by PeteRasche »

fearthewave wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:17 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:49 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:34 am We're supposed to hear more this afternoon, but it's already leaking out that the game is being moved to Norman. I'm sure we'll also hear whether the later game we're supposed to have in Norman will be moved to NOLA instead. College football is not a priority right now, but man does is blow to not get to host a top 5 team on campus. With the way college athletics are going, I don't know if we'll get many more chances at that.
The Athletic is reporting the game being moved, though only from "sources", not officially. But from what's going on, there's no way the game is being played in New Orleans. Tulane might have generators, but hotels, restaurants/catering, etc. - all the stuff needed to host a game - are not going to be available.

A friend is a Packers fan and was looking at coming in for the Packers/Saints game on 9/12. He said Packers channels are saying the game may be moved to Dallas. If the NFL is moving a game out of New Orleans, no way our Morgan State game is played at home either.
Report from Ross Dellenger is that Tulane will announce today that we are either going to Norman or the game is being canceled, which is why Troy Dannen publicly pushed back on earlier reports from OU media and nationals.

That said, given that the team has been able to practice in Birmingham, my expectation is that this will be a go and it will happen in Norman. This is just a hunch but I would suspect that Tulane wants to work out contract details to ensure it gets a return trip from Oklahoma for the final game.
Thanks, FTW. Since posting the above, I saw Dannen's tweet saying it's not official. I hope you are right, that it's working out details for flipping the home/away.
User avatar
kevinv
Sophomore
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:28 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: OU game predictions

Post by kevinv »

This sucks.... I know it pales in comparison to all the damage (I lost my entire vacation house in Cocodrie yesterday), but I was so looking forward to the long weekend in the city. I am guessing season ticket holders will not get a ticket to the game in Norman right?
windywave
Emerald Circle
Posts: 23006
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: OU game predictions

Post by windywave »

kevinv wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:13 pm This sucks.... I know it pales in comparison to all the damage (I lost my entire vacation house in Cocodrie yesterday), but I was so looking forward to the long weekend in the city. I am guessing season ticket holders will not get a ticket to the game in Norman right?
OU fans are super nice people. They were always hoping I enjoyed the trip to Norman, complimented us etc etc. I'm sure if you showed up you'd get in
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
User avatar
PeteRasche
Cornerstone
Posts: 26037
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: OU game predictions

Post by PeteRasche »

kevinv wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:13 pm This sucks.... I know it pales in comparison to all the damage (I lost my entire vacation house in Cocodrie yesterday), but I was so looking forward to the long weekend in the city. I am guessing season ticket holders will not get a ticket to the game in Norman right?
I suspect details like this (about which we regular folk don't think when we complain that they haven't worked out details yet) are the reason the official announcement hasn't been made. All that ticketing stuff has to get figured out before they announce anything.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8394
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Baywave1 »

Wp’s post is typical around here. No power but now have cell and data service.

Meanwhile I had tickets for 1965 UT game moved to Austin just like OU game now probably headed to Norman

Joys of seasoned citizen hood. Road trip to OU? Nor much to do around here but wait on Entergy and SWB.
Marathon Wave
Coach Level
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:40 pm
Location: Chattanooga area and partime in western NC

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Marathon Wave »

Mayor Cantrell telling evacuees to NOT return to the city.

From NOLA.com: "The city and the surrounding region suffered widespread damage after Ida made landfall on the Louisiana coast Sunday. Power was completely out in the city and officials in nearby suburbs estimated that electricity restoration could take weeks."

Just posting what I read.
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
User avatar
Cheerleader
Coach Level
Posts: 2197
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:22 am
Location: Destin, FL

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Cheerleader »

I see a lot of La. license plates here in Destin, so I think they may be around for a while...
User avatar
randymc
President's Circle
Posts: 3998
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:42 pm
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Re: OU game predictions

Post by randymc »

Game official in Norman. Tulane will be credited as home team. Gate receipts will go to Tulane...
fearthewave
Breaker Level
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:29 pm

Re: OU game predictions

Post by fearthewave »

Our post is up:
https://fearthewave.substack.com/p/tula ... post-storm

1. Game is officially in Norman @ 11am on ABC. Tulane will keep the proceeds from this game. Sounds like we're just tacking on one more game to the series, as Oklahoma has said they will play a Yuman game in the future (but doesn't replace our road trip there).

2. School is closing campus until Oct. 11th and going to online learning.

3. Athletics, as a whole, is relocating immediately to Birmingham for 4-6 weeks. We have some new details in our post
User avatar
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle
Posts: 5485
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Greeneville, TN

Re: OU game predictions

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Thanks ftw. For the sake of our season I really hope we can host UAB at Yulman. That's a decent squad that I don't want to give a homefield advantage to. Idk what we do about Morgan St. But it's hard to see that one happening at home. Maybe we can buy them out and look at a fcs or uconn type game later in the fall. So much more important going on in NOLA, but it sure would be nice if we could find a way to 6+ wins and some home games for the community
tjtlja
Regent's Circle
Posts: 5539
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Location: Richmond, TX

Re: OU game predictions

Post by tjtlja »

I don’t really care for any of this at all. In a year in which we need to win, where we need a seat at the table, we are now going on the road to Norman and practicing in Birmingham for the next 4-6 weeks. Just cancel these games and start when we can get back to New Orleans. We already have experience with this and it was a total failure. When invites go out to join conferences, no one is going to give a rats azz that Hurricanes ravaged New Orleans. All they will care about is if UCLA beat LSsu that one week in the beginning of the season
gerryb323
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8605
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Location: We're not in Kansas anymore

Re: OU game predictions

Post by gerryb323 »

I'll take an away Morgan State game! Y'all can stay with me :mrgreen:
STOP BUNTING gaddammit!!
User avatar
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle
Posts: 5485
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Greeneville, TN

Re: OU game predictions

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

tjtlja wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:07 pm I don’t really care for any of this at all. In a year in which we need to win, where we need a seat at the table, we are now going on the road to Norman and practicing in Birmingham for the next 4-6 weeks. Just cancel these games and start when we can get back to New Orleans. We already have experience with this and it was a total failure. When invites go out to join conferences, no one is going to give a rats azz that Hurricanes ravaged New Orleans. All they will care about is if UCLA beat LSsu that one week in the beginning of the season
Tj, it stinks but I don't see indications yet of throwing in the towel and playing the whole season on the road. While campus is closed for regular students until mid October, that doesn’t mean Yulman and athletics facilities might not be ready sooner. We saw how athletes are treated differently Las year during covid. If we can play conference games at home that won't be nothing.

Let's be honest, the odds say we don't have much shot against OU no matter where we play. Ole Miss, also a tough game, was already on the road. Morgan St. Should be a win wherever (if) we play. UAB is the one I hope we can get back at home, but we can win that one even on the road. In some combination we need to be 2-2 leaving the non con. Looking to conference play, we start on the road at ECU. After that it's Houston at home on Oct. 7. If the campus is opening Oct. 11, Yulman can be ready Oct. 7 for that game. I have hope if we can have our conference slate happen without further interruption.
Marathon Wave
Coach Level
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:40 pm
Location: Chattanooga area and partime in western NC

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Marathon Wave »

Did I read a two-week delay in "opening school"? Could be a positive as it allows team to continue to practice without 'going to class' (we'd be like lsu :lol: ) Doesn't seem possible to have a home game if there's no power, so....hurry up Entergy. I'll take 2-2 to start this season.
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8394
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Baywave1 »

With game in Norman, spread has sprinted to 31 points. No clue now on what happens Saturday other than stadium may be hotter than Yulman
User avatar
PeteRasche
Cornerstone
Posts: 26037
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: OU game predictions

Post by PeteRasche »

Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:47 pm Did I read a two-week delay in "opening school"? Could be a positive as it allows team to continue to practice without 'going to class' (we'd be like lsu :lol: ) Doesn't seem possible to have a home game if there's no power, so....hurry up Entergy. I'll take 2-2 to start this season.
Yes, the first two weeks of class are being moved to the end of the semester with the intent that the students will have "maximum in-person learning".

I wouldn't get too excited about us gaining an advantage because it's likely our team won't see much "normal" during that period anyway. If you recall Katrina, we had bad lodging, not enough access to good food and a weight room, and everyone was distracted worrying about their families and what was happening back in New Orleans. When the team got to go back briefly and get some of their stuff, it seemed like it just mentally destroyed what was left in their tanks. Not trying to be a downer but I don't see how being displaced from home (even if school is out) will be any sort of good. Athletes need routine and routine went out the window.

That said, unlike Katrina, I think campus and a lot of New Orleans will be back well before football season ends. Campus is currently running on generators. Trees will be removed, roofs will be patched, power lines replaced. It will take a while but it won't take 4 months for "most" of it.
Marathon Wave
Coach Level
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:40 pm
Location: Chattanooga area and partime in western NC

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Marathon Wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:43 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:47 pm Did I read a two-week delay in "opening school"? Could be a positive as it allows team to continue to practice without 'going to class' (we'd be like lsu :lol: ) Doesn't seem possible to have a home game if there's no power, so....hurry up Entergy. I'll take 2-2 to start this season.
Yes, the first two weeks of class are being moved to the end of the semester with the intent that the students will have "maximum in-person learning".

I wouldn't get too excited about us gaining an advantage because it's likely our team won't see much "normal" during that period anyway. If you recall Katrina, we had bad lodging, not enough access to good food and a weight room, and everyone was distracted worrying about their families and what was happening back in New Orleans. When the team got to go back briefly and get some of their stuff, it seemed like it just mentally destroyed what was left in their tanks. Not trying to be a downer but I don't see how being displaced from home (even if school is out) will be any sort of good. Athletes need routine and routine went out the window.

That said, unlike Katrina, I think campus and a lot of New Orleans will be back well before football season ends. Campus is currently running on generators. Trees will be removed, roofs will be patched, power lines replaced. It will take a while but it won't take 4 months for "most" of it.
Nothing close Katrina - I was there for that. Biggest concern now will be getting power up and running. Hopefully three weeks or less. We all know OU is a loooooong shot. We should beat Morgan St (wherever we play). Like outlaws says - biggest game to me is UAB. Hope we can be 'home' for that one. The players won't be coming back to "pick up their stuff" and see all the destruction. The road now is certainly not as easy as it would have been, but we haven't lost the season.
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
SlamDunk
Riptide Level
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: OU game predictions

Post by SlamDunk »

I'm going to irrationally predict a Tulane win. lol at me but somebody's got to do it.
User avatar
PeteRasche
Cornerstone
Posts: 26037
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: OU game predictions

Post by PeteRasche »

SlamDunk wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:08 pm I'm going to irrationally predict a Tulane win. lol at me but somebody's got to do it.
Man, wouldn't that be something? We wouldn't just be the top story on every sports outlet, considering this past weekend we'd probably get a mention on just "regular news".
User avatar
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle
Posts: 4534
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:13 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Re: OU game predictions

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:22 pm
SlamDunk wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:08 pm I'm going to irrationally predict a Tulane win. lol at me but somebody's got to do it.
Man, wouldn't that be something? We wouldn't just be the top story on every sports outlet, considering this past weekend we'd probably get a mention on just "regular news".
Why would a Tulane victory over a top 5 ranked team be discussed at a national level when LSUcks faced so much hardship this week
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Post Reply