OU game predictions

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
User avatar
Poseidon
President's Circle
Posts: 4071
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: Baton Rouge

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Poseidon »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:33 am
Baywave1 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:31 am I was at Auburn game. Yes Auburn QB was at best average. However to remind us all that to win these games Tulane must exploit every opportunity, Tulane dropped two TD passes in that game. That was the margin of victory for Auburn No doubt the one by Mooney would have been a difficult catch. Still an upset that night was doable.

So to pull off that 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 upset against OU, Tulane has to play flawlessly and OU has to play flawed. That’s a true long shot.

One possible scenario: a repeat of OSU first half. If OU emulates Haskins and friends, it won’t matter how Tulane plays. I’m rooting for an Auburn scenario where The Wave have a chance.

No predictions here, yea or nay
Auburn won by 18, though. Even with both TDs, we still need another score to win.
To say we played a good game against Auburn is incorrect. Our defense played pretty darn good. McMillan was 10-33, 103 YDS, 1 INT. We couldn't pass the ball a lick. If we would have played just an above average game passing game wise we likely would have a touchdown instead of a of on one of those drives and probably a couple of more scores. It was obvious with just decent offensive output we very well could have won. Ohio State, we were dominated on both sides of the ball.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Dishonorable mention - Navy
User avatar
TU77CAL82
Coach Level
Posts: 2324
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:29 pm
Location: Broadmoor

Re: OU game predictions

Post by TU77CAL82 »

I'm glad that the storm is coming through on Monday.
User avatar
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle
Posts: 3047
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: Fullerton, CA

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Wandering Quaker »

Auburn doesn't make a good comparison for the reasons stated by others. Plus one: SEC coaching staffs have gotten away with mailing it in against Tulane over and over. OU's staff will probably take a more structured and informed approach. I expect OU to push hard all the way through.

If our offense doesn't show early, this will be ugly.
User avatar
PeteRasche
Cornerstone
Posts: 26020
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: OU game predictions

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:31 am So to pull off that 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 upset against OU, Tulane has to play flawlessly and OU has to play flawed. That’s a true long shot.

One possible scenario: a repeat of OSU first half. If OU emulates Haskins and friends, it won’t matter how Tulane plays. I’m rooting for an Auburn scenario where The Wave have a chance.
The big thing we usually see against the true "power" teams (top 5 to 10) is the dominance of lines - if not immediately then over time. They beat us down the same way we beat FCS teams (and even some SBC & CUSA teams) down. The game might be close for a quarter, or even a half, or even three quarters, but by the end they are having their way with us (like us with FCS/SBC/CUSA). The only recent game that wasn't like that was Ohio State, where their skill players were just so far ahead of us. But otherwise... last time we played LSU, we hung with them a half. When we went to OU a few years ago we were beating them 14-7 in the second quarter. With Auburn, we hung with them while they tried to force freshman Bo Nix to be the savior they wanted him to be, but by the second half they realized they could just keep pounding it on the ground (plus their D-line was dominating our O) and we wore down and that's how they beat us. Same as our FCS games for the past, I dunno, decade; even when the few of them hung with us a bit, we eventually wore them down on the ground... USM several times recently ... ULaLa in the last bowl... USA last year (took until the 4th for us to wear them down)... there's a reason our RBs end up with hundreds of yards and a bunch of TDs in the second half against those teams, and that our D-lines seem to wait until the 4th quarter to start pressuring the opposing QB.

I agree we have to play basically flawlessly and OU will have to make mistakes. That just gets harder and harder to do when the lines are being worn down. It would be great if we actually could gain an advantage with the heat and humidity at home, but for some reason we seem to cramp more than the visitors...
User avatar
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle
Posts: 5458
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Greeneville, TN

Re: OU game predictions

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

FW wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:49 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:33 am
Baywave1 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:31 am I was at Auburn game. Yes Auburn QB was at best average. However to remind us all that to win these games Tulane must exploit every opportunity, Tulane dropped two TD passes in that game. That was the margin of victory for Auburn No doubt the one by Mooney would have been a difficult catch. Still an upset that night was doable.

So to pull off that 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 upset against OU, Tulane has to play flawlessly and OU has to play flawed. That’s a true long shot.

One possible scenario: a repeat of OSU first half. If OU emulates Haskins and friends, it won’t matter how Tulane plays. I’m rooting for an Auburn scenario where The Wave have a chance.

No predictions here, yea or nay
Auburn won by 18, though. Even with both TDs, we still need another score to win.
We lost by 18. It is what it is, but if James (I think) doesn't drop a sure TD on the HB pass from Amare when it's 14-6, that's a totally different game midway through the 3rd quarter. Down 14-12 or 14-13 or tied 14-14. Do we still lose? Possibly or probably, but it's a new game. And, you stole some Auburn fan's keys that game, so........
Yes, yes I did. Completely unintentionally but still. That may be the pinnacle of awkward moments I'd like to forget. :oops:
User avatar
Poseidon
President's Circle
Posts: 4071
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: Baton Rouge

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Poseidon »

There's this now...
Image

But I would rather be playing at home during an interrupted week than on the road.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Dishonorable mention - Navy
User avatar
waverider
Cornerstone
Posts: 25791
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: North Kenner

Re: OU game predictions

Post by waverider »

The loss practice time will be the biggest interruption as long as it doesn’t get to a Cat 4 and turn more east. If we were going to have interruptions, better during the OU week than when we are trying to win a conference game.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tjtlja
Regent's Circle
Posts: 5514
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Location: Richmond, TX

Re: OU game predictions

Post by tjtlja »

My early prediction is OK will barely cover the 26. Thinking something like 45-17.
wavedom
President's Circle
Posts: 3062
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Re: OU game predictions

Post by wavedom »

TU77CAL82 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:10 am I'm glad that the storm is coming through on Monday.
Could be a cat 3 so not happy it's coming our way at all.
There was an extra 9 in that percentage
User avatar
Cheerleader
Coach Level
Posts: 2197
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:22 am
Location: Destin, FL

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Cheerleader »

If you are a betting person, you can get Tulane at 50-1 to win the AAC Conference Championship. You can also get 5000-1 odds on us winning the National Championship. MGMBets.
User avatar
waverider
Cornerstone
Posts: 25791
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: North Kenner

Re: OU game predictions

Post by waverider »

Per Guerry, OU will only have 2 scholarship RBs for our game. Story he tweeted says lsu transfer Tre Bradford is no longer on the team.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
User avatar
waverider
Cornerstone
Posts: 25791
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: North Kenner

Re: OU game predictions

Post by waverider »

wavedom wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:20 pm
TU77CAL82 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:10 am I'm glad that the storm is coming through on Monday.
Could be a cat 3 so not happy it's coming our way at all.
I don’t want anyone to have to deal with what could be closer to a 4, but if it stays on the current forecast path, we won’t have the high winds in the Nola Metro area to deal with but a lot of streets could flood.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Marathon Wave
Coach Level
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:40 pm
Location: Chattanooga area and partime in western NC

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Marathon Wave »

waverider wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:45 am Per Guerry, OU will only have 2 scholarship RBs for our game. Story he tweeted says lsu transfer Tre Bradford is no longer on the team.
Here's a little more...

https://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/ ... -riley-osu

I have watched Gray play when he was with Vols, he's good.
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
greenguy
Riptide Level
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:00 pm
Location: Pensacola

Re: OU game predictions

Post by greenguy »

OU 55 - TU 7. Close for a while, then OU runs up the score in the second half, because that's what Nat'l Champion contenders do now.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8383
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Baywave1 »

greenguy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:26 am OU 55 - TU 7. Close for a while, then OU runs up the score in the second half, because that's what Nat'l Champion contenders do now.
Disagree but remember first 62-0 game was 6-0 at half. So yeh OU could score many points fast. I like Tulane covering spread. No view on over under other than it’s a big number
User avatar
Cheerleader
Coach Level
Posts: 2197
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:22 am
Location: Destin, FL

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Cheerleader »

OU by 14, and take the under on points. Both defenses stronger than their offenses. Maybe 28-14.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle
Posts: 12674
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Yankeewave »

Guesses on starters?
wavedom
President's Circle
Posts: 3062
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Re: OU game predictions

Post by wavedom »

waverider wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:48 am
wavedom wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:20 pm
TU77CAL82 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:10 am I'm glad that the storm is coming through on Monday.
Could be a cat 3 so not happy it's coming our way at all.
I don’t want anyone to have to deal with what could be closer to a 4, but if it stays on the current forecast path, we won’t have the high winds in the Nola Metro area to deal with but a lot of streets could flood.
Winds of 80-90 mph is pretty high.
There was an extra 9 in that percentage
Marathon Wave
Coach Level
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:40 pm
Location: Chattanooga area and partime in western NC

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Marathon Wave »

Of course, there was the 41 pt underdog Stanford Cardinal getting past No. 2 USC back in 2007.


https://www.espn.com/college-football/g ... /272790030

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIUh11fcbFY

It could happen.
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
User avatar
Rotorooter
President's Circle
Posts: 4933
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Rotorooter »

Marathon Wave wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:22 pm Of course, there was the 41 pt underdog Stanford Cardinal getting past No. 2 USC back in 2007.


https://www.espn.com/college-football/g ... /272790030

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIUh11fcbFY

It could happen.
Since we are talking about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEwjW8qLEDQ

I like the first one as a better analogy.
Plan your work, work your plan.
User avatar
waverider
Cornerstone
Posts: 25791
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: North Kenner

Re: OU game predictions

Post by waverider »

Saw an interesting stat today. The last preseason Heisman favorite to win the trophy was Marcus Mariota in 2014.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
User avatar
FW
Cornerstone
Posts: 31750
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:24 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: OU game predictions

Post by FW »

Baywave1 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:23 pm
greenguy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:26 am OU 55 - TU 7. Close for a while, then OU runs up the score in the second half, because that's what Nat'l Champion contenders do now.
Disagree but remember first 62-0 game was 6-0 at half. So yeh OU could score many points fast. I like Tulane covering spread. No view on over under other than it’s a big number
When Texas came to do the Dome in '02, we were even for the first half. We dropped (Chris Bush) a sure long TD from Losman and they scored a TD on 4th and goal late in the half and we were down 14-0 at the half. Lost 49-0.
User avatar
PeteRasche
Cornerstone
Posts: 26020
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: OU game predictions

Post by PeteRasche »

FW wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:10 am
Baywave1 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:23 pm Disagree but remember first 62-0 game was 6-0 at half. So yeh OU could score many points fast. I like Tulane covering spread. No view on over under other than it’s a big number
When Texas came to do the Dome in '02, we were even for the first half. We dropped (Chris Bush) a sure long TD from Losman and they scored a TD on 4th and goal late in the half and we were down 14-0 at the half. Lost 49-0.
Two more perfect examples of what I wrote Thursday (upthread). The truly power teams just wear you down on the lines. You can hang a while by playing flawlessly and with high adrenaline but eventually the adrenaline wears out and it's hard to be flawless when the lines are exhausted.

The key is we need to score a lot early, maybe even have a lead. We couldn't do that in those games in the past (and maybe not now, we'll see).
Marathon Wave
Coach Level
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:40 pm
Location: Chattanooga area and partime in western NC

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Marathon Wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:17 pm
FW wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:10 am
Baywave1 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:23 pm Disagree but remember first 62-0 game was 6-0 at half. So yeh OU could score many points fast. I like Tulane covering spread. No view on over under other than it’s a big number
When Texas came to do the Dome in '02, we were even for the first half. We dropped (Chris Bush) a sure long TD from Losman and they scored a TD on 4th and goal late in the half and we were down 14-0 at the half. Lost 49-0.
Two more perfect examples of what I wrote Thursday (upthread). The truly power teams just wear you down on the lines. You can hang a while by playing flawlessly and with high adrenaline but eventually the adrenaline wears out and it's hard to be flawless when the lines are exhausted.

The key is we need to score a lot early, maybe even have a lead. We couldn't do that in those games in the past (and maybe not now, we'll see).
Exactly. I've seen us play so close against good teams only to wear out (mainly due to lack of depth, right?). Our starters just can't last 60 minutes and the other guys get a chance to sub out and rest their starters. But we've got better depth now, so, maybe....
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Marathon Wave
Coach Level
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:40 pm
Location: Chattanooga area and partime in western NC

Re: OU game predictions

Post by Marathon Wave »

At least we're not considered the easiest team on their schedule.

https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/lists/ ... arsely-api
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Post Reply