AAC Transfer Portal Tracker

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Re: AAC Transfer Portal Tracker

Post by purplehaz3 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:16 am
tjtlja wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:46 pm I don’t want anyone from the portal. We seem to have slightly more success with the kids out of high school. And any of the top players in the portal will never come to Tulane to play. Waste of time.
You can't just turn a blind eye to what's become a huge part of college football recruiting. SMU has had great success pulling in guys out of the portal. We'd be silly to completely ignore it just because the options we've gotten so far haven't worked out as well as we'd hoped. Besides, after this debacle of a year, I don't even know if the guys we brought in are no good, or if our coaching is just that poor.

Players are going to transfer out which is why we need the portal to replace them. We have a strong recruiting class but freshman are rarely good in the first year. There are a few exceptions but we need experience in the OL, not rookies.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

purplehaz3 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:18 am
tjtlja wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:46 pm I don’t want anyone from the portal. We seem to have slightly more success with the kids out of high school. And any of the top players in the portal will never come to Tulane to play. Waste of time.
You can't just turn a blind eye to what's become a huge part of college football recruiting. SMU has had great success pulling in guys out of the portal. We'd be silly to completely ignore it just because the options we've gotten so far haven't worked out as well as we'd hoped. Besides, after this debacle of a year, I don't even know if the guys we brought in are no good, or if our coaching is just that poor.

Players are going to transfer out which is why we need the portal to replace them. We have a strong recruiting class but freshman are rarely good in the first year. There are a few exceptions but we need experience in the OL, not rookies.
Problem is we don’t have the guys at SMU recruiting our players. SMU wins because they have individuals better at their job. The portal is only viable if you can actually get players who make a significant impact. With every school in America recruiting the portal, I don’t like our chances one bit. Just sign high school kids, hope they develop, and just may be they will be here for 4+ years. The two year rentals eat up scholarships.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

You can't ignore the transfer market. My worry is that this staff will concentrate on it as the noose tightens, which could lead to (sorry) generation gaps that a new staff will have to remedy.

This staff needs to rework its high school recruiting closer to home. Not a State of Tulane strategy, just better results more often. All it takes is organization and hard work. If Buddy Teevens could do it, anyone can.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

tjtlja wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:35 am
purplehaz3 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:18 am

Problem is we don’t have the guys at SMU recruiting our players. SMU wins because they have individuals better at their job. The portal is only viable if you can actually get players who make a significant impact. With every school in America recruiting the portal, I don’t like our chances one bit. Just sign high school kids, hope they develop, and just may be they will be here for 4+ years. The two year rentals eat up scholarships.
I agree we don't have the commitment and resources SMU does, both in staff and finances. I think we could have that if the people in charge cared, but we don't right now. That said, every school in America is turning over every stone for talent, portal and elsewhere. You could make an argument the portal is overvalued right now relative to high school recruits, but there is no recruiting arena where we we'll be completely without competition.
Exflash
Junior

Post by Exflash »

Think One phenomenon has been the transfers that take some time to work into the program…..the Cajuns have some really talented transfers that are just now working into the system with increased playing time and performance…..some even getting Red shirted or not playing because of veterans……COVID Red shirts I think added into the situation and a few returned to the Acadiana area……think just about all had been recruited in HS by the Cajuns……always great topics on this board!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

This doesn't make a lot of sense. We haven't had success recruiting WRs, is that a waste of time as well?
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

The portal is a way of life in modern college football. As others have pointed out, you cannot (or should not) count on it to fix everything, but it can give you good players. We wouldn't have gone to a couple of bowls with McMillian. McClesky was a good WR. Dapuhine was a good RB. The OL from the Ivy league school was good. Kevin Henry has been a good LB. Yes, we've had a lot of misses too, but you can't ignore it completely.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

And we have had contributors come out of the portal; not as much this year, but we've gotten starting QBs and DL from there multiple times.

And I agree it's hard to judge whether it's talent or profoundly horrendous coaching, or both.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Just saw that UCF QB Dillon Gabriel entering the portal
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:36 pm Just saw that UCF QB Dillon Gabriel entering the portal
Was just coming to post that. I was thinking earlier that they would be good again next year with him back but he’s carrying on the UCF tradition of getting injured then transferring.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

UCF fans are destroying him on twitter
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

FW wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:43 pm ADULT UCF fans are destroying him on twitter
fify…
Tulane Greenbackers

krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

waverider wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:00 pm
FW wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:43 pm ADULT UCF fans are destroying him on twitter
fify…
Their fans are some of the worst. They go winless and two years later go undefeated and act like they're god's gift to college football and self claim a national championship two years later.

What's funny is now UCF apparently recognizes the civil conflict and got roasted by UConn Twitter
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

They were good before that winless season and have been good since. That year was a disaster because their coach wanted to retire and force the school to hire his hand picked candidate. The school didn't go for it. Season went south.
We deserve so much better
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Spencer Rattler just entered the portal.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Cheerleader wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:19 pm Spencer Rattler just entered the portal.
It's been a month coming.
viewtopic.php?p=815098#p815098

But doesn't really apply to this "AAC portal" thread.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Sorry, I missed that.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:27 pm
Cheerleader wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:19 pm Spencer Rattler just entered the portal.
It's been a month coming.
viewtopic.php?p=815098#p815098

But doesn't really apply to this "AAC portal" thread.
Unless he’s coming to Tulane (or more likely one of our opponents).
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I just posted about a couple OL and a LB we have offered in the portal.
Tulane Greenbackers

tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Does 2022 deserve a new thread? For now I'm going to put updates to my AAC centric transfer portal tracker here. There are now two new 2022 tabs on the same spreadsheet as before. I've relinked it here for convenience.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

AAC trends so far:
  • League wide the trend is to take P5 players as transfers in. Just under 75% of all transfers into the AAC (29/39) are from P5 programs.
  • For transfers out, 60% (48/77) are still looking for a home. So far only 9 are headed to P5s while 15 are headed to other G5s. This includes USF poaching a player from Temple and a player from UCF intraconference
School Trends
  • Tulane has picked up 4 transfers so far, all from P5s. None of our four transfers out has a home yet. JJ not listed in portal as of today.
  • Houston has just one transfer in, while 9 players have entered the portal
  • Likewise, Memphis has 10 players in the portal with only 2 transfers in. This is a continuation of the exodus we saw last year from Memphis.
  • Despite a coaching change, SMU has had minimal turnover thus far. 4 players have left with 4 players transferring in. 3/4 are P5s, continuing a trend from last year for SMU
  • Temple's coaching change has resulted in another cycle of the roster being turned over. 6 players have entered the portal, 2 to P5s. Temple has 0 transfers in right now.
  • UCF has probably the most notable transfer out in Dillon Gabriel to OU. They have gone to the portal to replace him with a more Malzahn-esque QB. So far they've netted a couple of SEC QBs with playing experience in Joey Gatewood (Kentucky) and John Rhys-Plumlee (Ole Miss). 5/6 of their transfers in are from P5s
  • The most interesting team to me, USF is continuing to churn its roster looing for a breakthrough. 9 players are in the portal, but 14! are transferring in. This is the only AAC school with more in than out I believe. All of their transfers in are from either P5s or the AAC. Jeff Scott is working his Clemson connection hard. 3 of their transfers in are former Clemson players. Clemson transfer WR Ajou Ajou is particularly well thought of.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Plumlee is a great addition for Malzahn. Gatewood is no QB.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

If a lot of transfers out fail to land to their satisfaction, I wonder if this year will represent a peak of activity. (I know COVID could be a temporary influence here too.)

Maybe riding the pine at Current State U ain’t such a bad fate for an unhappy player. Obviously this only addresses potential jumpers. No doubt some coaches are pushing some of these folks too.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Outlaw, Thanks for doing the heavy lifting here. Very insightful
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Baywave1 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:26 pm If a lot of transfers out fail to land to their satisfaction, I wonder if this year will represent a peak of activity. (I know COVID could be a temporary influence here too.)

Maybe riding the pine at Current State U ain’t such a bad fate for an unhappy player. Obviously this only addresses potential jumpers. No doubt some coaches are pushing some of these folks too.
I think we will see high numbers for the next couple of seasons. The extra covid year will last for a couple more cycles. In time I think we will see things level off somewhat. Kids will leave because they are asked to, have something else lined up, or are tired of playing d1 football/other extenuating circumstances.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Tulane has offered Nichols St CB Jarius Monroe who someone* once called “the best press corner in FCS”. He is Darion Monroe’s brother (I believe).

*no idea who. Could be his mom for all I know.
Tulane Greenbackers